Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I stopped in the Apple Store to exchange the AirPods pro I bought 10 days ago for the USB-C version, and checked out the phones and cases.

The FineWoven cases were scratched, as expected, but they felt pretty in the hand. I do not like the plastic on the edges of the FineWoven.

I’m wondering if they’re expecting them to patina over time. If so, it would have been helpful to show off some “weathered” cases in the keynote to allay concerns.

As it stands now, I am just going to get a silicone case when my phone arrives and explore 3rd party cases later.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I have a finewoven case and hadn’t noticed the misaligned cutouts on the bottom. I would say I can see half of the left screw on my case. Also, there are the little holes for the speaker and mic. The case cutout is right up to the right most holes and then a bigger spacing after the left most holes. So, all three cutouts are just slightly too far to the left.

I probably would have never noticed on my own.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I appreciate buyers of these cases who are sharing photos on social media so we can all see how poorly designed they are.

But what kind of person would go into a store and intentionally damage the display models?

Reactions: AndrewR23

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I appreciate buyers of these cases who are sharing photos on social media so we can all see how poorly designed they are.

But what kind of person would go into a store and intentionally damage the display models?
are you new to the human race?

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I always had Otterboxes and the like. Made the mistake once of buying the Apple Leather Case. The best thing about it is the warranty for when it inevitably breaks or gets destroyed the first time it tries (and fails) to protect the phone.

From now on always going with grip and actual protection over looks.
You might try out MyBat cases over at Amazon. Very similar to Otterbox cases but it has a better holster and less then half the price of the Otterbox

Reactions: CarAnalogy

blazerunner

Suspended
Nov 16, 2020
The media will criticize Apple for an insignificant case but won't say anything about Apple's other sniveling tactics, price gouging, anti-competition practices, disrespect for right to repair....

Seriously, WTF?

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Four days into using my FineWoven it looks brand new aside from the usual barely perceptible hint of where the MagSafe circle is from use (same happens with leather and silicone). I'm sure the moment is coming I scuff it and I still have sincere doubts if it doesn't look horrible eventually... but so far, with zero babying, it looks essentially new.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Four days into using my FineWoven it looks brand new aside from the usual barely perceptible hint of where the MagSafe circle is from use (same happens with leather and silicone). I'm sure the moment is coming I scuff it and I still have sincere doubts if it doesn't look horrible eventually... but so far, with zero babying, it looks essentially new.
Are these new Finewoven cases only for the 15 iPhones or can I get one for my 14 Pro ? Sorry cannot figure it ou5 for:web page

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I only disagree with your comment about magsafe showing on leather. A year on and my leather case has no perceptible hint of the magsafe circle. This was on an iPhone 13.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
'Lower carbon footprint' is not the same as 'environmentally friendly.

And if people end up buying 2 or three cases over the life of their phone, the carbon footprint per person will be much higher, and that's what matters. Per product is irrelevant if it takes 3 cases to compete on durability and longevity with a single leather one. Not to mention the disposal of all the leather cases for older phones (still for sale) that disappeared from retail shelves overnight on September 21.

This is pure greenwashing. TBH I'm amazed that there are people who believe what is obvious BS from Apple.

Apple's goal is to sell as many products as possible. This is antithetical to being environmentally friendly.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My contribution — went to an Apple Store today to return something, and took a quick look at the demo FineWoven cases. Definitely some wear showing already.

View attachment 2280932
Those look like intentional scratches to the case. I’ve been in Apple stores and employees aren’t usually hanging around the case wall. Would be really easy for someone to test it out with their fingernail or a key. Not sure how those marks could happen with someone just picking up and holding the case in their hand.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
People need to stop making apologies for this product. It's one thing having a case develop a patina over time with bumps and scratches. It's another having it scratch and dent so easily with a run of your finger nail. And the wobbly buttons are what you expect from a $1 case from Wish.com not Apple. This product is shoddy.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Have you seen these cases in person? They’re not going to last a week without looking terrible.

Apple should be owning up to this debacle, issuing refunds for those who have bought them and working on a new more robust material for these cases.

I always remember Phil Schiller announcing a new material they’d created for the first iPad keyboard to be robust, not stain etc. That would be a good start over this FineWoven material which is completely inappropriate for a case.
They’re not going to issue refunds to people who have the case and have no issues with it. We have no idea how serious of a problem this is. Of course consumers have the choice not to buy them (I’ve never owned an Apple case in my life) and if nobody is buying them then they’ll get the hint it was a bad product and change to something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.