Apple's First A24 Film to Star Bill Murray and Rashida Jones, Sofia Coppola to Direct

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple late last year teamed up with indie entertainment studio A24 to produce a series of films for its upcoming streaming service, and now the first film under that partnership is in the works.

According to Variety, Apple and A24's first movie will be directed by Sofia Coppola, known for directing movies like "The Virgin Suicides," "Lost in Translation," "Marie Antoinette," and "The Bling Ring."

[​IMG]
    Image credit: Guillaume Collet/Sipa/REX/Shutterstock, via Variety​

The movie, "On the Rocks," will star Bill Murray, who often works with Coppola, and Rashida Jones, known for her roles in "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation."

"On the Rocks" will follow a young mother who reconnects with her larger-than-life playboy father on an adventure through New York. Production on the movie is set to start next month.

Apple has more than a dozen television shows in the works, with many in the casting stages, but the filming schedule for "On the Rocks" suggests it will be Apple's first movie to be completed.

Rumors have suggested Apple is working on a streaming service that will provide access to Apple-produced TV shows and movies, with some content available for free. Apple is said to be aiming to launch the new service in 2019.

Article Link: Apple's First A24 Film to Star Bill Murray and Rashida Jones, Sofia Coppola to Direct

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

3. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

It can’t be terrible. Bill Murray is in it.

4. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Lost in Translation was pretty dire.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Disagree, as do many others with its 7.8 rating on IMDB. I thought it was a very good movie about two strangers. It also captured all the quirks of Tokyo to a tee.

6. the future macrumors 65816

This sounds absolutely awesome. Coppola is one of the very finest directors working today. Lost In Translation, also with Bill Murray, was a subtle, moving masterpiece.

7. KanosWRX macrumors 6502

More proprietary content for yet another streaming service. Its like they are just begging people to pirate their content!

8. doomfront macrumors regular

That's a really solid list of names in that headline. I believe in A24

9. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

People pirate OTA standard TV shows. The amount is pennies on the dollar to what they actually make.

10. macguru212 macrumors regular

macguru212

Couldn't agree more. It took me years to fully appreciate Lost In Translation - IMO it's a very delicate film, it required maturity for me.

It will be a delight to see how this new project works out!

11. subjonas macrumors 68000

I’ll pretty much watch anything with Bill Murray in it.

12. Porco, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Hopefully during the movie the playboy father character regales his daughter of the days when there were “dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!” in the New York of his youth.

13. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Yep. The small majority of those folks are putting their system at risk to downloading malware, javascript nuisances, and crypto mining ads in the background. I doubt this content will always be locked in to the streaming service too. For instance, Netflix or HBO shows can be purchased on iTunes, content on DC Universe will stream on Netflix.

14. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

If you have been to Japan, especially with any frequency, there is a lot to relate to in the movie. For others, I can see where the appeal would 'lost'.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

I lived in Japan for ten years. Studied Aikido at the Hombun dojo world headquarters and went to school for Japanese language 4 hours a day 5 times a week for two years. I think I can safely say I have had my little slice of experience with Japanese culture.

Heck I have even eaten and drank at the bar in the film more than a handful of times. I lived about 6 blocks from it in Shinjuku Rokuchome.

16. pmau macrumors 65832

You are crazy. Lost In Translation was awesome.
    The disco scene and the Karaoke.
    The quiet moments with Scarlett in the hotel.
    I love this movie.

... I shave using a Safety Razor, not Gillette.

17. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

It took me years just to see it; last month on a plane. And I very much enjoyed it. The whole attitude of the film, and the very understated reactions of the main characters to things, while everyone else was quite hyper by comparison, really helped put one in -their- shoes, and played so well with that issue of loneliness and unfamiliarity … and lack of sleep.

I agree with most here … you had me at Bill Murray.

18. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors regular

outskirtsofinfinity

19. Grohowiak macrumors regular

Grohowiak

Can't wait for this one.
    Lost in Translation is epic and this two have a history which hopefully translates into another interesting piece.

20. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

21. MultiMan macrumors member

MultiMan

Really? To me, it's one of the more rewarding movies I've seen. Great on many levels, including actors and Sofia Coppola's direction.

22. chatin, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

Apple needs A24 to compete with Amazon and Netflix. I have had my Apple TV unplugged since I was concerned about duplicate payments for these services.

23. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Lost In Translation is one of the best movies ever made.

24. chipb macrumors member

Who’s Bill Murray?

25. cardfan macrumors 68000

It’s like watching a train wreck Come to think of it I’d rather watch a train wreck then anything Apple has announced for their upcoming media mess.