Apple's First iOS Developer Academy Opens October 6 at University of Naples

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's first iOS Developer Academy is set to open this week at the University of Naples Federico II's new San Giovanni a Teduccio campus, located in a coastal suburb east of Naples, Italy.

The campus will see Apple teaching 200 Italian students how to write code to create apps that will run on Apple's iOS devices during the nine month course. Students will be provided with a current-generation MacBook, iPhone, and iPad, along with tuition, all for free.

More than 4,000 students applied for 200 spots during an open enrollment program. Next year, more spots will be available, as the university plans to accept 400 students.

[​IMG]

Leopoldo Angrisani, a professor who has helped get the program up and running, spoke with The Guardian and shared some details on the campus ahead of its opening on October 6. Apple had a hand in the design of the academy, which is housed in one of three modern-looking buildings with glass facades.
    Couches and a lounge area are included in the classroom, giving students a chance to rest, and Apple expects collaboration between students will be a key part of the classroom experience. "Apple thinks that all of these activities, learning and rest and so on, have to stay very close to each other, because this is the best way to ensure that the concepts are absorbed and understood very well," Angrisani told The Guardian.

During its visit to the campus, The Guardian was shown the classroom where classes will be held, but was not allowed to sit in on a meeting where an Apple official was instructing academy teachers. University officials also said Apple had been "very, very" involved in the work at the academy, down to details like the lighting in the classroom and the color on the walls.

In the past, Apple has said the iOS Developer Academy will be expanded to other countries around the world in the future.

Article Link: Apple's First iOS Developer Academy Opens October 6 at University of Naples

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Apple opening something new that isn't in the United States? IT'S A MIRACLE!

3. 2457282 Suspended

Cant wait for all those apps in italian. brushing up now. tutto bene!

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

This is an amazing story. I know that one of Steve's biggest regrets was that technology didn't impact education in the way people hoped.

To help students learn how to code, plus giving them the devices necessary and paying for the tuition; this is a really, really great thing. I have no doubt it'll be a resounding success and vastly expanded in the future.

You never know. Next year, Tim could be talking about a successful iOS app that was designed by one of these students.

5. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

They selected the lighting? Lighting is hugely important. Certain lights give me a headache.

6. BakeLaotou, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

BakeLaotou Suspended

I see more fart-apps in the future! Yay!
    Apple! Apple! Apple!

PS. As a person who has significant experience in programming (think physicist who codes for his own research purpose), I don't see what the big deal about coding is. It is both trivial and mind-numblingly boring.
    Oh well, I guess this is the iFuture. Legions of underpaid code-monkeys paying their tributes to their iOverlords.

7. jdillings macrumors 68000

Instead of creating a "Hello World" app for their first app, Apple will have them create a farting app.

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Some could very well say the same things about physics.

9. BakeLaotou Suspended

Seriously speaking.
    If you are thinking about becoming an "app" developer, please do you yourself a favour and reconsider.
    Apps have peaked, and there is a general app-fatigue. The days of independent developers making good money with mobile apps are pretty much over.

On the other hand, DBAs are in high demand and are highly paid (if good) -- and will always be. So, if you are willing to invest time-money in training, please go for DBA and not "mobile app developer".

10. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I hope you're not serious. If all you've ever written are scripts to read in your physics data to an excel sheet, I guess that would make sense. Otherwise, you'd realize what a huge deal coding is.

11. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

"All courses will be taught in English, since it is meant to be open to students from around the world."

12. 2457282 Suspended

The courses will be in english because the programming languages are written in english. The 200 italians learning to program in italy will create apps in italian but written in an english language....

Sono confuso. :D

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like people can decide on their own interests and career plans.

14. iChrist macrumors 65816

iChrist

More likely it will join the ranks of Trump University. With a billion apps available, we don't need more crapware with in-app purchases.

15. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

"All courses will be taught in English, since it is meant to be open to students from around the world."

English isn't spoken around the world. Many places, yes, but if you don't fit the 'standard', tough luck. #Apple.

16. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Naples is an interesting choice, it's a very unsafe city.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    English is tue common business language of the world. When Europeans meet each other the language they use to converse is almost always English. It's typical for international business courses at European Universities to be taught in English

17. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

For want to be devs looking for a great introduction into their profession and a future out of it, this is fantastic.

18. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I bet there has to be a catch. All apps developed belong to Apple. This where Apple cashes in if they get a big hit app.

19. bbbb4b macrumors 6502

bbbb4b

Nothing will get accomplished here.
    Nobody will be able to stop eating the pizza.

20. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

Didn't apple provide all these iPads to LA school districts a few years ago...I guess now with that said, I'm pretty sure that didn't even make a dent on scores and improving education.

"We have spent more than $100 million dollars on this project and it is now time to regroup and develop a solid plan that allows us to move forward and leverage technology as a tool to improve teaching and learning for our students."

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/los-angeles-edtech/

21. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Agreed, but let's not forget that, considering a majority portion of Apple's revenue comes from the iPhone and the iOS ecosystem, while great for the students, this is also a much needed move for Apple, especially considering projected lower handset sales. Their recent initiatives with Apple Music and the expected eventual fruits (no pun intended) of the iOS Developer Academy could at least partially compensate for predicted lower hardware revenue.

Pending much needed updates to the Mac line, sales there have also been stagnating somewhat, and in the absence of solid overall growth, Tim must look elsewhere to compensate for disappointing sales, so any revenue boost in other areas will be welcomed by the shareholders.

22. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

Why do I get the feeling most of the people on here don't understand applications development?

This is an excellent strategy on Apple's part. A massive boost to Swift and Metal. Add in server-side Swift coding for enterprise/cloud deployment with IBM Bluemix. Usage will snowball. Now need to replicate this in France, Germany, UK, and a few more countries.

23. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

24. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

So you didn't get to read the final paragraph of the link you provided?

25. macsba macrumors 6502

For the ones who discussed the Apple academy in Italy and Trump University, each of you destroyed a chance of a friend of mine reading about Apple's involvement in her ancestral country from this website. Yes, I greatly KNOW of the intense hatred from both sides and especially from the opposite side from where I'm from. I try to stay out of politics here. Please, just stay with the article. For my friend, I found from another website, the topic and commentary without the political bashing and send it to her. She is not from the US and really doesn't care for politics.

Just think before one types.