Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
It's 2022, and I'm still on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Ok, so not as old as the 2012 version, but it still bears a similar overall concept (same ports, for instance). I can't say it's blazing fast (except for some very specific usages), but, well, it does its job. It has lots of new parts, though — the chassis, the screen, the battery etc. were all replaced at some point in time (and it'll require a new battery 'soon'). It runs a little hot, like all old hardware, but nothing that the fans cannot deal with (with a little help from TG Pro). It costed an arm and a leg back then, which I spent in a moment of weakness, when my old MacBook (not Pro) from 2007 became hopelessly outdated (note: it still works, I can certainly boot it successfully, but... there is no more software that runs on it, and even what has been installed back — such as browsers! — will not produce any meaningful output. I just keep it around for an emergency; one day I might hack it to attempt to install more recent software, just as a fun exercise).

I've considered moving to the brand new models introduced in late 2021 (I'm curious about the performance of the M1 Max), especially now that Apple listened to their fans (!?!? the world is coming to an end...) and got rid of useless features in order to give us more ports (and a magnetic power plug!). However, they cost an arm and a leg, too — and I've already lost a pair...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.