Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has a new home at Canada's second-largest indoor shopping mall. Following months of construction, the new Apple Square One retail store opened its doors today in Mississauga, Ontario, just west of Toronto. The store is now located above the Food Central food court on the second floor of the mall, across from Sephora.

Apple-Square-One-2024.jpg
The new Apple Square One via Kyle

The store's first visitors were greeted with a round of applause from Apple's team members. MacRumors reader Kyle attended the grand opening and shared photos with us, providing a first look at the curved glass facade and expansive interior.

On the positive side, the new store is much larger than Apple's previous location in the mall, which was often overcrowded. The original store closed its doors for good on Thursday evening, after nearly 15 years of serving customers. Another plus is that the store is the first in Canada to offer a dedicated Apple Pickup station where customers can conveniently collect their online orders placed on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app.

Apple-Pickup-Square-One.jpg
Apple Pickup in the new Apple Square One via Kyle

On the negative side, the store lacks some of Apple's latest retail design elements that were first introduced last year at the relocated Apple Tysons Corner in Virginia and all-new Apple Battersea in London, England, such as a Genius Bar with varied table and seating heights for improved accessibility, and an Apple Watch Studio for mixing and matching case and band combinations. Customers can still receive hardware support from a Genius at the store, and participate in free creative sessions through the Today at Apple program.

The new Apple Square One is the company's fourth modern store in Canada, alongside Apple Fairview and Apple Eaton Centre in Toronto, and Apple Pacific Centre in Vancouver. All of Apple's other stores in Canada have a classic design. A leaked document last year revealed that Apple has considered relocating its Sainte-Catherine store in Montréal, Québec as early as 2025, but the company has not publicly confirmed these plans.

"Come say hello," says Apple, on the Apple Square One page. "We can't wait to see you there."

Article Link: Apple's First Store With Dedicated Pickup Station in Canada Now Open

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I mean it's nice... but like all other Apple stores... it's cold, sterile and void of any character. They really need to do more in their retail spaces... they are not comfortable. Acoustics and comfort are not great.

I think what would be great is to have interactive displays about the technology (manufacturing, hardware and software) Apple uses. They have a huge backstory... why not show it off. They build amazing devices... why not show it off... instead of just dumping it on a table with a "price" app loaded on it.

In some stores the demonstration screens are open to the whole store... why not have a mini cinema type room...

I bet a consultancy firm has been paid a huge amount... and look at it lol mediocre!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
They should have those pickup stations at every Apple Store. It’s so tedious and confusing picking up an item at their stores.

I check in by the front entrance then they proceed to tell me to stand by the third table on the left. I get there and I’m just waiting around thinking, “Okay, I’ve checked in by the front entrance, so someone will bring my equipment.” Well, not so much. I had to check in again with the person by the third table on the left. It was so freaking confusing.

A simple pickup took far too long because it wasn’t clear what to do. A person shouldn’t have to ask questions about a pickup.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I mean it's nice... but like all other Apple stores... it's cold, sterile and void of any character. They really need to do more in their retail spaces... they are not comfortable. Acoustics and comfort are not great.

I think what would be great is to have interactive displays about the technology (manufacturing, hardware and software) Apple uses. They have a huge backstory... why not show it off. They build amazing devices... why not show it off... instead of just dumping it on a table with a "price" app loaded on it.

In some stores the demonstration screens are open to the whole store... why not have a mini cinema type room...

I bet a consultancy firm has been paid a huge amount... and look at it lol mediocre!

Everyone has an opinion. The whole point of their layout is to have demos that feel more open. Gives it more of a community vibe. If they had an enclosed room, a lot
of people would probably be too intimidated to even step inside.

I think the stores look great. They're open and airy, easy to navigate. Apple's just a victim of their success - the stores can get overcrowded. But that's not their fault necessarily.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Acoustics and comfort are not great.
They don't even have chairs up next to the tables so you can sit ...

This is a long running trend in public spaces. Elimination of park benches (or any seating area), stores with nowhere to sit are also common. My local large supermarket eliminated anywhere to sit.

There is an anti-human streak that runs through much of contemporary architecture.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Another plus is that the store is the first in Canada to offer a dedicated Apple Pickup station
They should have those pickup stations at every Apple Store.
A location where lonely single Apple customers that are looking for companionship can find other similarly inclined singles? Sure beats the bar scene.

😂

miq

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2020
“The store's first visitors were greeted with a round of applause from Apple's team members.”

Euuugggghhhh. Reminds me of the days when they used to applaud people leaving the store having purchased a new Mac etc. Incredibly cringe.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I don’t like shopping at Apple Stores. When u just want to quickly buy something, you have to chase the staff like an idiot and ask (social anxiety anyone?) and when you have an appointment they ask you to wait at a random spot at the store and you keep wondering if they forgot about you (which did happen more than once in my case). Why not just have a screen that tells you what number is up next or update your appointment with a push notification like „it’s your turn now“.

Also, if they are so desperate to get rid of a basic check out counter, why not have it so you can scan your own items, pay and walk out like at IKEA for example.

Last edited:

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
I don’t like shopping at Apple Stores. When u just want to quickly buy something, you have to chase the staff like an idiot and ask (social anxiety anyone?) and when you have an appointment they ask you to wait at a random spot at the store and you keep wondering if they forgot about you (which did happen more than once in my case). Why not just have a screen that tells you what number is up next or update your appointment with a push notification like „it’s your turn now“.

Also, if they are so desperate to get rid of a basic check out counter, why not have it so you can scan your own items, pay and walk out like at IKEA for example.

I don’t know how it works for larger items but I do know you can use the Apple Store app to scan stuff ‘off the shelf’ and pay through that - have used it in the past for accessories.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and Huck

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I don’t know how it works for larger items but I do know you can use the Apple Store app to scan stuff ‘off the shelf’ and pay through that - have used it in the past for accessories.

Oh I had no idea as the dumb Apple Store app does not let me switch to another AppleID unrelated to my iCloud Account, which is from another country 😅

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I miss the days when Ron Johnson was in charge of Apple Stores. I also miss the days when every Apple Store had the word "Store" in the name, before that soulless corporate suit Tim Cook brought on that useless hire Angela Arhendts, who removed the word "Store" and replaced it with location names in a pretentious attempt to look like a high fashion luxury brand.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The pick up process has always been a Problem, a real problem! It seems like they’re just playing with people making it as uncomfortable as possible.

How does Pickup work? Are those drawers that slide out?

It would be amazing to have a process like Amazon where you scan a code, and a locker compartment opens up. Grab and go! So convenient! Use that at my local gas station all the time. Less stressful than doorstep delivery.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and MartyvH

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
“The store's first visitors were greeted with a round of applause from Apple's team members.”

Euuugggghhhh. Reminds me of the days when they used to applaud people leaving the store having purchased a new Mac etc. Incredibly cringe.

While from one context, I agree, we are living in a world filled with hatred, negativity, and violence, so Apple staff spreading cheer is welcomed as a good thing.

Reactions: CarAnalogy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.