Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Fitness+ is set to launch on December 14, and ahead of its debut, Apple's senior director of fitness technologies Jay Blahnik did an interview with WSJ. Magazine to answer some questions about Apple's newest streaming service.

applefitnesswatchandiphone.jpg

Though now is an excellent time for a home workout program, Apple has been developing Fitness+ for more than five years. Apple has recruited a total of 21 trainers after an "intensive search" where "no gym was too gritty to visit." Fitness+ syncs the Apple Watch to the Apple TV, iPad, or iPhone so you can see progress, including relative to others. "Metrics is motivation," said Blahnik of the feature.
The metrics react to the things the trainer says and the things that you do. We believe that makes it much more immersive than simply following content that's available anywhere else.
Apple Fitness+ has a robust recommendation engine to suggest workouts to people. "We always say: it shouldn't take 20 minutes to find a 20 minute workout," said Blahnik. Fitness+ suggestions will work based on the workouts that you've done, with some gentle encouragement to try other workout types.

The service is meant to be "equipment agnostic." Many of the workouts can be done with no equipment, and others, such as cycling, will work with existing equipment from many brands. It's also designed for users of all levels.
We love the fact that [Fitness+] is integrated with Apple Watch. It's really inclusive. We put music at the center to motivate a wide variety of people. We've made it really easy to find your next workout, whether you're a beginner or not, and allowed you to use it across all your screens. We treat all areas that we get engaged with as marathons, not sprints.
Apple Fitness+ will come with a three month free trial for anyone who purchased an Apple Watch Series 6, Series 3, or SE after the September 15 launch of those devices. The service will be accessible through the Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple's Fitness Technologies Director Jay Blahnik Talks Fitness+ Ahead of Launch

Last edited:

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2015
The only thing I don't like about the fitness app on the watch is ... I have turned off notifications, but it still tells me when I have completed my "rings". And that I am half way thru a workout. To me, these seem to be ... notifications! As soon as these little missives stop hitting the fan, I'll be interested in Apple Fitness. 🍸😹

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Given that most people who would be willing to do this kind of exercise is mostly out of shape and has never done these moves (and presumably won't be watching themselves do these moves) I predict injury and back related pain in many. No one spotting them. Range of motion exceeds daily norm. Form all out of whack.

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm and DamFu

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
This is very exciting to me. I was an avid gym goer until March, and there’s no way in hell I’ll step foot in a Petri dish gym until who knows when, so this is very welcome. Hopefully I’ll be able to ditch my daily burn and Fitbod subscriptions for this!

aduzik

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
I'm very happy with Pelotons monthly service. Hopefully this can compete.
I like Peloton's content a lot but the app is a mess. Their library is massive so it's really frustrating that I have to do a bunch of tapping and scrolling to find the workouts I'm actually interested in. I'll interested to see how Apple's content stacks up.

Reactions: lilatheestallion

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Maybe it is just me but it took them way too long to launch this. Will use at until i can afford a Peloton / can safely go back to the gym.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009

Apple Fitness+ is set to launch on December 14, and ahead of its debut, Apple's senior director of fitness technologies Jay Blahnik did an interview with The Wall Street Journal to answer some questions about Apple's newest streaming service.

applefitnesswatchandiphone.jpg

Though now is an excellent time for a home workout program, Apple has been developing Fitness+ for more than five years. Apple has recruited a total of 21 trainers after an "intensive search" where "no gym was too gritty to visit." Fitness+ syncs the Apple Watch to the Apple TV, iPad, or iPhone so you can see progress, including relative to others. "Metrics is motivation," said Blahnik of the feature.Apple Fitness+ has a robust recommendation engine to suggest workouts to people. "We always say: it shouldn't take 20 minutes to find a 20 minute workout," said Blahnik. Fitness+ suggestions will work based on the workouts that you've done, with some gentle encouragement to try other workout types.

The service is meant to be "equipment agnostic." Many of the workouts can be done with no equipment, and others, such as cycling, will work with existing equipment from many brands. It's also designed for users of all levels.Apple Fitness+ will come with a three month free trial for anyone who purchased an Apple Watch Series 6, Series 3, or SE after the September 15 launch of those devices. The service will be accessible through the Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple's Fitness Technologies Director Jay Blahnik Talks Fitness+ Ahead of Launch
I guess they have completely toppes out out on ideas to advance hardware. Because otherwise this is a non starter. Way off track for core business. Here just make good hardware and get the hell out the way.

What next? Apple juice brand ?

macrumors3000

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
iamjamieray (IG) just posted a clip from AF+. Very similar to Peloton except he’s running on $12K technogym tread. Lmao 😂

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I guess they have completely toppes out out on ideas to advance hardware. Because otherwise this is a non starter. Way off track for core business. Here just make good hardware and get the hell out the way.

Apple is about experience and lifestyle. They are about their customers having the best possible experience, not just about selling products. There's a notable difference there.

Dell will sell you their crappy computers running Windows. They don't care how bad Windows is... they just want to sell hardware and then move onto the next customer.

Apple is a hardware+software company in order to deliver the best possible experience. Fitness+ is exactly that, so it's very much core to their business.

We can all agree that the world needs every push to encourage more fitness that it can get, right? If you think about it, Apple is merely course-correcting a world that they helped to create. The explosion in popularity of digital devices has created a world where too many people live behind their screens all day long. That's not good for health. So they have a responsibility to transform that world to a healthier one. Fitness+ is an effort to do that.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I want to try this with my Peloton bike. So I guess I'm fixing my iPad to the bike.

Apple if you could buy Peloton that would be great. Imagine an iPad Pro fixed to the bike!

Reactions: lilatheestallion

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Peleton does look pretty great, but this is a much lower cost. I think with Apple One now, the individual services don't really need to be the best, the combined offering just needs to be compelling enough at the price point.

I did have Apple Music, still on the free trial of Apple TV plus (which I was going to keep), plus the 2TB of iCloud storage. So that would be £22 a month I think. I had News + but cancelled it a few months ago to save a few pennies.

But now, for an extra £8 a month, I get News + back, Fitness + and Arcade. Which feels like a no brainer.

With the Fitness thing, if the content is pretty decent, I think the way it works with the watch metrics displaying in real time onscreen is a pretty good USP, so looking forward to trying it. (The one that stuck the most for me in the past was Zova, but I kinda got out of the habit.)

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Apple is about experience and lifestyle. They are about their customers having the best possible experience, not just about selling products. There's a notable difference there.

Dell will sell you their crappy computers running Windows. They don't care how bad Windows is... they just want to sell hardware and then move onto the next customer.

Apple is a hardware+software company in order to deliver the best possible experience. Fitness+ is exactly that, so it's very much core to their business.

We can all agree that the world needs every push to encourage more fitness that it can get, right? If you think about it, Apple is merely course-correcting a world that they helped to create. The explosion in popularity of digital devices has created a world where too many people live behind their screens all day long. That's not good for health. So they have a responsibility to transform that world to a healthier one. Fitness+ is an effort to do that.

Microsoft is also a hardware+software company i.e., the Surface line of products. All engineered by Microsoft.

• Haha
Reactions: coolfactor

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
I was so disappointed there wasn’t an Apple Tv refresh today, I’ve been waiting for a refresh to buy my first Apple Tv, the buyers guide shows it’s way over cycle for a refresh, and it’s one of the few ways to get discrete Dolby Audio from Disney Plus, I just want to watch the Mandalorian in Surround Sound. Wish the Apple Tv app on my computer could play Disney plus, or that Disney plus and Safari would get discrete surround going through the web browser. I’m going to wait one more week for the fitness launch hoping on one more thing. Then I want Santa Jobbs to bring me an M1 based console-killer Apple Tv.

Reactions: Black Belt

Cheesehead Dave

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2020

Nice points. There's a reason Apple dropped the "Computer" from their name years ago.

Reactions: coolfactor

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014

Not sure how this is "way off track for core business" when the Apple Watch and its focus on health and fitness is big business for Apple.

If Fitness+ is a good service, it will be a success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.