Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I am really excited about all the health stuff coming up in iOS 8 but I am also nervous. I wonder how much battery all this constant motion monitoring is going to take. I use an app called Runtastic almost daily for a 45-minute jog and that alone uses 10%.

It shouldn't use a noticeable amount of energy at all. The M7 is designed to constantly and efficiently collect the motion data, whether an app is reading from it or not.

What I'm curious to see is will this app report that im constantly running, like the Nike+ app does!

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I just realized - the data in my app is almost identical as the screenshot used for this article. What gives?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The amount of caffeine in coffee varies wildly. Starbucks coffee has way more than most. Decaf has a small amount, but Starbucks decaf seems to me to be about 50%.

Agreed. I like Duncan, not as heavy on the cafe to me. I brew it myself though so I know how strong I'm making it. Starbucks tastes like swill to me

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I am really excited about all the health stuff coming up in iOS 8 but I am also nervous. I wonder how much battery all this constant motion monitoring is going to take. I use an app called Runtastic almost daily for a 45-minute jog and that alone uses 10%.

The "BIG UNKNOWN." ;)

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
This is neat. However, it seems rather excessive. Caffeine tracking??? Seems this should be more of a Myfitnesspal or Fitbit thing.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
MR plays it very safe. A rumor is a rumor. Apple has not confirmed ios 8 coming in September,her nor the iPhone 6. MR isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot by saying rumors are facts, no matter how certain you are or how many leaks there are.
LOL, MR reports fiction as rumor (eg. digitimes, anything from Forbes, etc.) and covers every single time a grown man decides to play with a paper cutout of the iPhone 6. So don't pretend they have quality control standards. As for September release, that is a fact. Apple does not have the capability to push it past then without jeopardizing tens of billions in Christmas sales which would undoubtedly cost Cook his job. Hell, even if it isn't ready he'll cross his fingers and hope for the best. Google iOS 6 and iOS 7 for details. As for a release before September- that's impossible due to the time to complete the beta, manufacture enough iPhone 6s, etc.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
LOL, MR reports fiction as rumor (eg. digitimes, anything from Forbes, etc.) and covers every single time a grown man decides to play with a paper cutout of the iPhone 6. So don't pretend they have quality control standards. As for September release, that is a fact. Apple does not have the capability to push it past then without jeopardizing tens of billions in Christmas sales which would undoubtedly cost Cook his job. Hell, even if it isn't ready he'll cross his fingers and hope for the best. Google iOS 6 and iOS 7 for details. As for a release before September- that's impossible due to the time to complete the beta, manufacture enough iPhone 6s, etc.

Whatever you say, and however many reasons you come up with (which I agree with btw), it's still rumor, not fact.

And so they will never use hard words like "will" etc. Sorry dude.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
It shouldn't use a noticeable amount of energy at all. The M7 is designed to constantly and efficiently collect the motion data, whether an app is reading from it or not.

What I'm curious to see is will this app report that im constantly running, like the Nike+ app does!

I've uninstalled the Nike app. Fitbit's is much better. Syncs with Myfitnesspal, you can login to fitbit.com to see your data in the cloud, has steps, calories, distance :)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Holy crap, I've never realized how much walking I do.

e3utyhuv.jpg

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
UI is often subjective, but that white on fluorescent green is verging on the unreadable. Its the same as they have in Calendar - I literally can't believe they don't seem to have noticed that, or seem to care. (And yes, I know this is beta, but Calendar isn't.)

Whenever MacRumors posts screenshots of iOS 7/8 with such bright colours, my eyes almost hurt for a split second. This is almost like neon.

Still hoping for a dark mode with pastel colours. :(

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Whatever you say, and however many reasons you come up with (which I agree with btw), it's still rumor, not fact.

And so they will never use hard words like "will" etc. Sorry dude.
So you think they should lump actual facts together with the rest of their garbage so that there is no way for novice readers to differentiate? Because that's exactly what they are doing.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I had a bad experience with a pedometer I bought at the sharper image in 1995, so I'm skeptical of "motion tracking".

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Just looked at mine and it's pretty accurate. I walked a little over 3 miles today. I used other apps to track my distance before so I know it's pretty close. It's really nice how it tracks everything without any interaction from me. I like it! I can't wait for the iWatch.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
7 days of previous data for steps isn't much. Pedometer, a free app on the iPhone 5S now does at least 3 months worth, at least that's as far back as I've been using it, so the ability to display much more than 7 days is already there. I hope Apple drastically improves that feature.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
7 days of previous data for steps isn't much. Pedometer, a free app on the iPhone 5S now does at least 3 months worth, at least that's as far back as I've been using it, so the ability to display much more than 7 days is already there. I hope Apple drastically improves that feature.

But the app has a week, month, and year view.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
The amount of caffeine in coffee varies wildly. Starbucks coffee has way more than most. Decaf has a small amount, but Starbucks decaf seems to me to be about 50%.

A light or medium roast coffee has more caffeine in it than a dark roast coffee.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Apple's 'Health' App Gains Ability to Track Steps With M7 Motion Coprocessor ...

What I don't understand is why my $129 iPod shuffle can do this when my $550 iPhone 5c can't. Without downloading another app on my iPhone that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.