Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's vice president of health Sumbul Desai today spoke with Indian publication Businessline, where she talked about Apple's health initiatives and gave a tiny bit of insight into Apple's thoughts on glucose monitoring for the Apple Watch.

apple-watch-blood-glucose-feature.jpg

When asked if Apple would bring blood sugar tracking sensors to the Apple Watch, Desai said that these capabilities are "really important areas, but they require a lot of science behind them."

Her comments come just a few days after Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that Apple has hit a milestone in its noninvasive blood glucose monitoring technology. Apple has been working on this functionality for at least a decade, and now has a "proof-of-concept" model that is viable.

Noninvasive blood glucose monitoring uses a laser to shine a light under the skin to determine the concentration of glucose in the body. Now that Apple has a functioning prototype, it needs to work to slim down the hardware to make it fit in a device the size of the Apple Watch. Gurman believes that Apple is still years away from being able to bring noninvasive blood glucose monitoring to the Apple Watch, but progress is being made.

Desai also said that she believes we are at the "beginning" of health tech, which will require changing the behavior of physicians and people. She said that Apple is focused on "the customer as the individual" and how the company can "empower an individual to be holistic about their health" by providing actionable insights.

Apple's health team is "laser-focused" on continuing to build in the health space, investing in research, collaboration with the medical community, and other avenues that will help it "understand your health sooner and earlier." Apple wants people to "feel like they’re empowered and educated to drive their own health care."

Other topics of conversation included Apple's view on health privacy, the cost of Apple devices, how decisions are made on what to work on, and more, with the full interview available at Businessline.

Article Link: Apple's Health VP Talks Glucose Monitoring on Apple Watch Amid Rumors of Noninvasive Tracking Breakthrough

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
When asked if Apple would bring blood sugar tracking sensors to the Apple Watch, Desai said that these capabilities are "really important areas, but they require a lot of science behind them."

This is as vague as it gets, LOL. It is like saying that swimming requires a lot of water. Fair enough, but nothing really new.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
If I had to rely on it as a diabetic I certainly wouldn't want to use the first or first few generations.

But as someone who would like to know a close number for additional health monitoring I'm all for it.

Sounds like they are taking it more seriously than the temperature monitoring.

If I had to rely on it as a diabetic I certainly wouldn't want to use the first or first few generations.

But as someone who would like to know a close number for additional health monitoring I'm all for it.

The temperature monitoring feature needs its own stock app like blood oxygen or ECG or Heart rate. I hate the fact I have to rely on the Health app on my iPhone to obtain data. It's hidden and It's a headache! I bet so many people don't know their Apple Watch Series 8 and Ultra is capable of taking human temperatures.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah I’m thinking it will be introduced as a supplemental monitoring system, and hopefully eventually it will become good and trustworthy enough to take over as primary. Apple will make crazy money if they crack this and/or blood pressure monitoring.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
The opposite — I would think a diabetic would want to use it immediately, and compare the results to their current testing methods each day. But wouldn’t you think Apple would be engaged in this testing for years prior to getting any approval for it?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
The temperature monitoring feature needs its own stock app like blood oxygen or ECG or Heart rate. I hate the fact I have to rely on the Health app on my iPhone to obtain data. It's hidden and It's a headache! I bet so many people don't know their Apple Watch Series 8 and Ultra is capable of taking human temperatures.
Maybe the app just need a new UI — perhaps a grid layout with customization, or maybe icons can become widgets.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

This is as vague as it gets, LOL. It is like saying that swimming requires a lot of water. Fair enough, but nothing really new.
Apple showed a photo of AirPower and people still wont shut up about it. There is no way they are going to make concrete comments about these features.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can't just take your temperature like it's a thermometer right?

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York

Completely agree! I'm hoping at some point it will be always accessible, like the other health features, and reliable.

I'd like to take my temp any moment and not get a general idea and a graph of how it differs from my baseline temp over night.

I will say there was a week where my temp was kind of erratic up and down and I definitely felt off for those days. Maybe not fever sick but definitely off. The temp tracking picked up on it a day before I started feeling it.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
The opposite — I would think a diabetic would want to use it immediately, and compare the results to their current testing methods each day. But wouldn’t you think Apple would be engaged in this testing for years prior to getting any approval for it?
That's a good point. I should have clarified that using it as the only source of information would not be something I would want to do. But if it gets FDA approval then its probably legit and/or safe to rely on.

The heart senor is top notch for a wrist monitor and is almost spot on with a chest strap. There is a German guy who does extensive testing with all sorts of wearables and Apple Watch always winds up at the top with heart rate monitoring.

I've compared the blood oxygen to a finger pulse oximeter I have and its spot on also. The only observable differece I have noticed is the Apple Watch seems to be a few seconds behind.

And I dont have an EKG machine so I can't do that comparison 😉

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Honestly that comment is not saying much. Sounds more like hedging than anything. Apparently this is an extremely hard problem. I would love to see it but I seriously doubt it will be on the next Watch.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Are you saying it can it actually take your temperature? With what level of accuracy? I thought it was only for female cycle tracking.

cdsapplefan

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2023
Apple has a working viable prototype that is in the proof-of-concept stage. The engineers just need to make it smaller.

I say they need to hire back Jon Ive just for this project. He was obsessed with shrinking things down.

With all the NASA engineers why would it take 5-10 years for this to get shrunk down to watch size? Or maybe the hurdle is that shrinking it down that small would be super expensive and not be feasible for the regular consumer to buy?

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
This is not trivial and the idea that Apple would release this without it being fully vetted is ridiculous. It would require FDA approval and would likely be vetted against other tried and true methods thousands of times.

When it ships, it will be accurate and FDA approved
They released blood oxygen monitoring that was at times wildly inaccurate and lacked FDA approval.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.