Apple's Hippocritical Tendencies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, May 15, 2011.

1. mikelegacy, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Does it make sense to any of you that Apple says that it wants to wait to roll out LTE iPhones since "the network just isn't there yet", when they adopt Thunderbolt, a seeming amazing technology, that I don't even need a full hand of fingers to count how many peripherals there are that support it...

It's pretty hippocritical that Apple won't support a new technology like LTE because it's "not ready", but they will support Thunderbolt, which is ready, but can't be used with ANYTHING since there are no products that support it.

If anything, I think LTE is more ready than thunderbolt at this point. A larger majority of larger cities are getting LTE everyday and it still works with 3G in the mean time.

I know there's the issue with the QualComm chipset, but hell, I really don't think anyone would mind waiting another month or so for the full release.

And as for the people who say "Apple isn't just gonna throw a new chip in there and send it into production without major testing", well i tell you this. Apple is the 6th largest company in terms of revenue. If you mean to tell me that they can't get some sample testing chips to test you are crazy.

It's just starting to irritate me a little how Apple is so hippocritical in terms of new tech, when they are so happy to call themselves pioneers.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Computers and smartphones are two completely different beasts.

LTE is a big hit on the battery life. Thunderbolt on a computer is not.

I'd rather have 3g forever if it made sure the battery life improved over an LTE iPhone.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I think your missing some key information.

When it comes to LTE the chips that Apple would most likely be using in their phones are NOT READY yet. They won't be until later this year. The current chips among other reasons use too much power and kill the battery quickly.

You can't really compare that to Thunderbolt.

With that being said who knows what Apple is actually going to release. If the iPhone is delayed until September there is always the chance we may see LTE.

4. Exhumed, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011

Exhumed macrumors member

Apple said they weren't ready to adopt 4G, but I think they'll include it in the next iPhone. They'd be foolish not to. Whether the technology is ready or not, consumers want a phone with 4G. Not just tech nerds.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

Not really, there are no downsides for the end user by including thunderbolt on the macs... However including LTE in the iphone with the current LTE chipsets both increases the thickness of the phone (which apples hates) and ruins battery life which is an issue for many people. LTE would be nice for a small portion of people right now. I agree with apple's decision on this one.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Okay. Wow.
    Unless you want your phone to be running out of battery after 2 hours, you probably are better off letting Apple figure out how to use 4G while keeping the battery life the same, if not better.

7. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yes, the battery issue is obviously a large one, but I have a friend with the HTC Thunderbolt and his phone lasts about as long as my iPhone does ever since that terrible software update that killed iPhone battery life. He lasts about 4-5 hours surfing the net almost nonstop. I'll tell you, my phone probably lasts similar to that and I do full charges all the time, I barely ever trickle charge and I don't leave my phone on the charger nonstop for it to gain a memory. So IDK the iphone would fair with LTE, but the HTC Thunderbolt fairs pretty decently for being one of the first LTE phones ever.

8. Goldinboy17, May 15, 2011

Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The consumers themselves can be foolish as well. I can't imagine Apple adopting LTE for the next iPhone. The chipset's larger and would take up more space which Apple's short of. And if they were to adopt it they would also need a larger battery so it wouldn't take such a hit, again requiring some sort of design change. They'll wait a while. Besides, they can adopt HSPA+ speeds that would be compatible with T-Mobile's and AT&T's networks that's already included in the QualComm chip that Verizon iPhones use.

That's great that your phone owns a Thunderbolt. You've seen it so you know it's larger than the iPhone 4 and can carry a larger battery. Unless Apple revises their strategy I can't see them making a larger phone.

9. mikelegacy, May 15, 2011

mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I updated my post with the reasoning as to why they could include them in their phones if they just wait the extra month. To say that can't get test chips would be asinine. They are APPLE for god's sake. They rule the tech world at this point.

You listen to too many rumors. Friends of mine have the Thunderbolt. Lasts SLIGHTLY less than my IP4 running 4G and LONGER than my phone running 3G.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am actually of the belief that an iPhone in June/July means no LTE but an iPhone in September/October will have LTE.

The chips they were rumored to want are supposed to start production toward the end of this year. I firmly believe they can have them in time for a delayed iPhone launch.

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Anytime you have a thread where the OP is responding to everyone and continuing to argue its usually just a rant (or troll) thread which means I'm done :p

12. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Or it means i'm involved in the discussion? I'm giving my opinions and i'm bored at work. There's nothing wrong with that.

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

That you're not working when you're supposed to be? Yes, there is definitely something wrong with that.

14. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

These are very different situations.

Apple knows very well that including thunderbolt ports on their computers will drive an accessories market.

Even if reliable chipsets were available at a sensible cost, an LTE iphone is unlikely to quicken the roll-out of 4G services. The mobile operators just don't move that fast.

15. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, i believe that too. Obviously there are other factors too, such as battery and just the overall testing of the chips, but like I said, I would bet money on the fact that Apple has a couple of test chips in their possession.

16. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's called spare time. Yes, my job is awesome.

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Agreed, I actually would not be surprised if LTE was not the whole reason for the delay. Hopefully the delay will allow them to slip even more nifty stuff into the phone before launch.

18. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You could say that, but in that arguement's contrary, you could say that 5-10 million new LTE handsets being sold could DEFINTIELY drive the LTE market to rollout faster. For one, it would give them more money necessary to meet the requirements, and out of the 5-10 million, about half would most likely be Verizon, so that's 2.5-5 million new contracts. That's a lot of dough. It's also 10-16% of their userbase.

I respect your side of the story as well, I just think that iPhone could definitely drive the market.

As for the Thunderbolt, I know it's early yes, but I only know of about 10 devices that are planning Thunderbolt in the near future. Again, that all I KNOW OF. There could be more.

19. sparkyms macrumors 65816

(i started writing this before i read the whole thread so far, so forgive anything that's already been mentioned)

But you're missing the point. Thunderbolt in Macs is ready at the point it allows Apple to make the Macs that they want to make. LTE Chipsets are not at a point where Apple feel that they can make an iPhone that they are not compromising other things to make it, like design, size and their own targets for battery life, not yours.

They didn't need to mess around all that stuff with Macs because it used ports that already existed, and Logic Boards on Macs are a lot bigger than your iPhone with a 3.5 inch screen. LTE is a whole new modem set, and whilst Apple probably can (and do) have test chips, they are saying on record they don't feel its ready for the next gen, just sit tight, it will come.

20. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah man, I'm hoping. Truly, i'm a graphic designer, so updating the look is a BIG deal for me, but at this point, I want LTE and some better touch responses (such as the pinch to close apps and such) more than I want an industrial design upgrade.

21. Goldinboy17, May 15, 2011

Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

But if they were to put LTE chipsets into the iPhone they would likely only include them into the Verizon models. They're the only national carrier that even has an LTE network with T-Mobile and AT&T really not caring for LTE at the moment. An HSPA+ "4G" chipset already exists and would be included into the next iPhone. At this point the market's split up in their definition of 4G. Apple didn't include 3G into their original iPhone when the technology had already been deployed around some urban cities for years. LTE for Verizon was only activated December of last year. Verizon has one hundred million customers so even if they sold five million LTE phones that would only represent five percent of their userbase. Most would be renewing their contracts so it's not like it would be a surge in revenues for them as well, just a continuation.

22. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, but even recurring contracts is revenue. It means that they are going to be getting paid for the next two years.

I'm not sitting here saying "ITS GONNA HAPPEN UR DUMB" or anything, but I just disagree that it won't drive the market. It might not drive it as easily or as heavily, but it will drive it nonetheless.

And i got my numbers wrong with that 10-16%, sorry bout that.

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

as others have stated...thunderbolt can be implemented without any negative impact on the machine itself...while LTE does take a toll on battery life. Theres no point in offering a new technology and plan in a device that can't use it if all its going to bring for at least the next year is a negative impact on battery life for most customers. If LTE could be put in with the same investment, battery life, and within the same internal space, they'd do it in order to future proof

24. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

The point you make is an interesting one, but I have to agree with most of the people here.

Yes, 4G LTE is available in my city and I would love to have it on my iPhone. But at the same time I'm going to need it to be reliable and I'm going to need my phone battery to last all day.

25. patp, May 15, 2011

patp Guest

Apple and Steve Jobs have said numerous times, they will not introduce something to the market that is half baked. They only roll with it once they are convinced the technology (4G, LTE etc) is tested and working to their satisfaction. The demands of a small percentage of users will never dictate Apple's mantra - test test test till it's 100%. Something Google and all the Android handset makers should try.