Apple's home page: message about tsunamis

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple's home page is now a message saying "Our hearts reach out to those hurt by the Indian Ocean tsunamis" with a link to the United States Agency for International Development labeled "Learn more about how you can help the survivors and their families".

I'm glad to see Apple acknowledging what's going on in Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, and the other neighboring countries, and supporting the aid programs, including the American Red Cross.

Attachments

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
neoelectronaut said:
Dammit you beat me by a minute.
You can have all the credit you like. We're both informing forum members. The important message is the one from Apple.

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
It's insane. I can't even fathom 60,000 people dying. That's nearly the population of the island I used to live on. (Isle of Wight, south of Britain)

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
It is good to see so many good companies helping to get people involved. I have donated some of my own funds through Apple's links.

I have to mention that Microsoft.com hasn't done anything to their page. Way to set an example. ... .

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
quagmire said:
I see Microsoft is being an a** with this situation and is offering nothing and don't mention this incident at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/
But that's because Google, Apple, Yahoo are good companies with "good karma" as SJ would say...

Microsoft is just out to make money, and I don't think they feel it's their place... or something... I picked a PC company at random - IBM. They've got nothing no their site either...

Hob

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I think it's important to remember the tragic events, but it's important to remember - Yahoo, Google even Apple are trying to be more social sites... Sites people visit every day. These other companies are technology companies... I don't think they have a social conscience...

Hob

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wouldn't necessarily fault a company for not putting up a notice about a natural disaster, even one of this scale. Forgoing a little advertising while drumming up charitable donations is one way to react, as Apple did. But another company might choose to leave their web site unchanged (business as usual) but send a donation directly to charity themselves. And many companies do so without making a lot of noise about it. Maybe Apple did too.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Apple is to be commended for this kind of display, as well as the other sites linked. I'm epsecially impressed with Apple's method: The graphic dominates the front page, and even the four pictures near the bottom of the fold, where computer links usually are, are instead links to charitable organizations. I'm glad to see that people are willing to forego some advertising for other people in need.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I saw that this morning when I visited apple.com, very impressed by its dominance of the first page. It shows compassion on the part of Apple. They have a history this type of public service. Just another example of a great company that we hold in high esteem.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Putting up a link is one ling, but leading by example is another. How many of these billion dolar companies have done one thing that costs them a cent? I saw a segment on CNBC about how GE donated 1mil, andother one 2mil. It would be tacky to brag, but tasteless to ask without giving.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I dont think that this will be the end for apple in terms of charitable giving.

Steve doesn't seem like a selfish person to me. I reckon Apple will have another big PR stunt lined up with regards to this. Perhaps they're gonna say 'for every ipod sold this quarter, we'll donate $1/$5/$10' or something like that.

I know apple isn't a charity, but with U2 working with them now, I think something like this wouldnt be so hard to believe..

/asif

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
asif786 said:
I dont think that this will be the end for apple in terms of charitable giving.

Steve doesn't seem like a selfish person to me. I reckon Apple has a will have another big PR stunt lined up with regards to this.
Well with the Band Aid pricing recently they were happy to donate the difference for each song purchased so it seems they will continuing with charitable giving :)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
pawnstar said:
very cool what Apple has done :)

company I do some work for gave some ad space and stuff

http://www.mobilegamefaqs.com/

only one halfway down page and a news story with more links, better than nothing

we'll see if we can do something more…
well done, every little helps. I think it's great!

It's so important that at a time like this everyone pulls together and does everything they can to help.

/asif

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Thanks for pointing that out. I am kinda proud to be owning a computer by a company that does things like that (though that might sound weird).
I think it is a great move. I for one won't be buying fireworks this New Years and will be donating this money. They need every little bit.