Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay3846

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2019
I only got to visit the One Infinite Loop store once, in January, 2004. I was attending MacWorld SF (back then, Apple still participated in that event).
Even though, Apple had opened a number of their retail stores by then (I was even at the opening of the very first one at Tysons Corner, VA on May 19, 2001), it was still very cool to be on the Infinite Loop campus (even if the store was the only place a non-employee could visit there). The store wasn't very big, but it was virtually the only place in the world you could buy (legitimate) Apple gear. Almost all of their logo gear was very understated, someimes just containing a single 'Apple with a bite out of it' logo, but very cool for an Apple fan. I think I spent something like $400 on various items: t-shirts, polos, pens, mugs, notebooks, luggage locks, and a very nice jacket that I still have and I still wear.
Memories!
I haven't yet visited the Apple Park "spaceship", but that's definitely on the list!

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
A lot of Apple Stores seem be closing this year.
I’m shocked they haven’t closed my store, not because of sales but because of size. It’s literally a phone booth. This was the Estero, Florida store last Christmas…

69318351489__31082F96-0597-4936-8A37-7070AFBD8EB5.jpeg

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm trying to figure out if I could manage to visit before they close...it's a long drive from the other end of CA.
Don't do it, it's not worth it. I live 20 minutes from the store and can't be bothered to go. It's very small and the only possible attraction is merchandise that other Apple stores don't have, like coffee mugs (one of which, that I picked up years ago when I had a meeting at the old campus, is currently sitting on my desk). But it isn't so fantastic that you need to drive hours. ;)

• Sad
Reactions: zapmymac

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I went to the old Apple company store as a child sometime around 1987 or 1988. It was on Bandley Drive in Cupertino. This was a couple of years before the Apple Infinite Loop campus was even built. Does anybody else here remember that old Apple company store on Bandley Drive?

Last edited:

miabadboys

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
On Top of The World
I happened to visit this store recently. It was quite small, but there was exclusive Apple-branded merchandise not found elsewhere (mugs, water bottles, notepads, pens, shirts). Wonder if some of those will become available at Apple Park Visitor Center, or if that is the end of it.
My question too, I had to travel to both this Cupertino store and Apple Park store because they had different merchandise in stock at each store. It does make sense to close this store, it was very small.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Made it Apple Park, very cool…but I figured another day, another trip (from socal) to NorCal …but not by mid-January ‘24 😕

Always wanted a coffee mug, and I wrongly assumed the Apple Park location would also have them…nope.

shoulda, coulda, but sadly I didn’t

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
It’s still a piece of Apple history and the headquarters where some of Apple’s most significant products were born. Just because you don’t think it’s a historical place doesn’t mean it isn’t.

Also don’t backtrack on your original comment. You clearly didn’t read the article and thought this was just a store closing.
You got me. IMO it’s not a big deal to lose sleep over.

120FPS

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2022
Part of me wonders how long this campus will remain the way it is. It has Steve’s old office and I would assume they would want to keep it intact but I think they could still get museum archivists/preservationists to record and store it. They could either move it to an institute like the Smithsonian or recreate it in a newly designed campus that meets their needs and preserves an ideal for employees to strive for.

Reactions: mech986

oldMacGenius

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
I'm trying to figure out if I could manage to visit before they close...it's a long drive from the other end of CA.
There’s always Metrolink > Union Station > Amtrak Coast Starlight > Diridon Station > Transfer to VTA Bus 23 > Get off at De Anza and you’ll walk North about a half mile.

 Infinite Loop 1 will be on your right. When you finish there, you can walk back across the parking lot into the back door of IL7 for a beer and a pizooki!

LowKeyed

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
I know it is not the store it once was. But I am sad to hear about it closing. I'd been a handful of times starting back in 2005, it certainly changed over the years. Every time my geek mates found out I was headed to HQ I would get a bunch of requests for merch. Used to be the only place outside of special events you could get Apple branded apparel or other nick nacks.
I’ve been there. Trust me, you aren’t missing anything. Unless of course you really needed that $75 black turtleneck with micro sized logo or the mug or maybe the silly onesie.
Don't knock the onesies or the Toddler T's, those were/are awesome.
Onesie.jpeg

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
More customers will be visiting the Apple Park Visitor centre/store. Might not be sensible to keep the old store open.

bpa1093

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Highland
The leather card holder I carry with me to this day I got there in maybe 2012ish. I absolutely love it, and it only gets better with age!

I also have a mug I got the same day, while I also love it it did not get better with age as the logo was printed and not lasered :(
Same with my mug - I bought in 2012, and within a month accidentally scratched off a small piece of the Apple logo. Oops.

Still use the mug every day though!

• Love
Reactions: kalafalas
I only got to visit the One Infinite Loop store once, in January, 2004. I was attending MacWorld SF (back then, Apple still participated in that event).
Even though, Apple had opened a number of their retail stores by then (I was even at the opening of the very first one at Tysons Corner, VA on May 19, 2001), it was still very cool to be on the Infinite Loop campus (even if the store was the only place a non-employee could visit there). The store wasn't very big, but it was virtually the only place in the world you could buy (legitimate) Apple gear. Almost all of their logo gear was very understated, someimes just containing a single 'Apple with a bite out of it' logo, but very cool for an Apple fan. I think I spent something like $400 on various items: t-shirts, polos, pens, mugs, notebooks, luggage locks, and a very nice jacket that I still have and I still wear.
Memories!
I haven't yet visited the Apple Park "spaceship", but that's definitely on the list!

You can’t just humble brag this like! We need pics!!! Lol

….at least the “very nice jacket”..

I’m shocked they haven’t closed my store, not because of sales but because of size. It’s literally a phone booth. This was the Estero, Florida store last Christmas…

View attachment 2327694

Oh snap, look at light-skinned Kanye! 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.