Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

170847-ios4_maps.jpg

AppleInsider notes that four identical job postings for iOS software engineers were posted on Apple's site yesterday, with each one noting "experience developing navigation software" as one of the "valuable knowledge" criteria by which Apple is looking to judge applicants.
Apple is hiring outstanding engineers to deliver the next generation of Apple products. Seize this ground floor opportunity to help us build the world's best hosted platforms at massive scale.

Requirements
* +3 years' experience with developing high quality, robust software systems
* Expert knowledge of C++
* Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
* Outstanding understanding of data structures and algorithms
* Fully comfortable with base technologies like networking, TCP/IP, HTTP, Sockets, Threads, STL and templates.
* Good interpersonal and communication skills

Valuable knowledge:
* Deep knowledge of Computational Geometry or Graph Theory
* Experience with Linux server-side development of distributed systems
* Experience developing navigation software
While the note is only one among a number of requirements and recommended attributes for job applicants and Apple has previously posted job listings soliciting expertise in maps and other geo-focused skills, the fact the company is hiring four core iOS engineers preferred to have experience specifically in navigation suggests that the company may be looking to make a push into the competitive field of turn-by-turn navigation.

Google introduced free turn-by-turn navigation for Android smartphones in late 2009 and at the time noted that it was working with Apple to bring the functionality to the iPhone. Google later backpedaled from those claims, noting that it has never confirmed that it will bring navigation to the iPhone.

Apple has increasingly looked to beef up its own mapping and geolocation services in an attempt to distance itself from Google, which has provided the core Maps application for the iPhone since the device's 2007 debut. Apple acquired mapping company Placebase in July 2009 and followed that up by purchasing small Canadian mapping firm Poly9 one year later. Apple also moved its location services for iOS in-house with the release of iOS 3.2 on the iPad in April of this year, separating itself from Google-owned Skyhook Wireless for such services.

In November 2009, we noted an Apple job posting specifically looking for an iPhone software engineer "to take Maps to the next level".

Article Link: Apple's iOS Engineering Jobs Emphasize Navigation Software Experience

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
This rumor makes me happy....

While I love speculating on what hardware/software tweaks will be coming up; I'd LOVE a better, native navigation app.

Comment

sbcooler

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
NY
Frankly, this is my favorite app on the iPhone 4...I use it all the time and it works great. So handy and simple to use. I need gas, I type in gas...I need chinese food, I type that in...I need FEDEX, I type it on...2-3 tapes later I have my directions. Traffic, 1 tap..done...so user friendly. Beautifully simple and easy.

Only addition I'd like is for it to READ OUT LOUD directions like a Garmin does. Other than that I'm done.

Comment

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Apple feeling the heat from Google eh?

Dec 16, 2010
Google releases Maps 5.0 (with 3D support and new gesture controls)

Dec 17, 2010
Apple puts up 4 job postings related to navigation

Frankly, this is my favorite app on the iPhone 4...I use it all the time and it works great. So handy and simple to use. I need gas, I type in gas...I need chinese food, I type that in...I need FEDEX, I type it on...2-3 tapes later I have my directions. Traffic, 1 tap..done...so user friendly. Beautifully simple and easy.

Only addition I'd like is for it to READ OUT LOUD directions like a Garmin does. Other than that I'm done.

man, if youre content with what you already have, that sucks.

android OS is leaps and bounds better than maps on iOS. its a bummer that Apple users have to wait for updates on OS level, not by application level like how android does it.

its actually smarter to deploy updates on an app based level, as you don't have to wait every 6 months

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
I can't believe it is taking Apple this long to roll out a Maps update. They are years behind on this. Their solution has got to be "revolutionary".

Comment

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's great for people who want to have a free solution but I'll Never let go of Navigon ipa

Not to mention no need to rely on spotty 3G - Navigon is amazing!

Used it in Europe too without issue

Comment

sbcooler

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
NY
I watch my friends fumble with their Androids...they do not know how to do half the stuff I can do with the iPhone. Also, the pictures look like crap indoors (no HDR like iPHone 4). It's amazing how simple the Apple is. Perfect for someone who is not a programmer and doesn't like to futz around with needless details.

Simple. Easy. Fast. Beautiful.

That's Apple.

I used to be a PC user until 7 years ago...what a difference. Microsoft was the same...you can do all the same things..it just takes 3 times more effort and knowledge about inane things that don't improve the user experience.

Comment

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Yea Maps is very good but is not quite perfect. Some things I'd like to see:

+Turn-by-turn Instructions
+Re-routing (e.g. avoid Highway 101)
+Search for the things close to your route
+Integration with Yelp

(Less Likely)
+Voice-recognition/speech for 100% hands-free operation while driving

Comment

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Hermitage, TN
I watch my friends fumble with their Androids...they do not know how to do half the stuff I can do with the iPhone. Also, the pictures look like crap indoors (no HDR like iPHone 4). It's amazing how simple the Apple is. Perfect for someone who is not a programmer and doesn't like to futz around with needless details.

That's Apple.

I used to be a PC user until 7 years ago...what a difference. Microsoft was the same...you can do all the same things..it just takes 3 times more effort and knowledge about inane things that don't improve the user experience.

None of this relates to the topic at hand. I know you're a blind follower, but please stumble out of this thread. :rolleyes:

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I guess this is the next phase of their map dev since the acquisition of those two mapping companies a year or so back.

man, if youre content with what you already have, that sucks.

android OS is leaps and bounds better than maps on iOS. its a bummer that Apple users have to wait for updates on OS level, not by application level like how android does it.

its actually smarter to deploy updates on an app based level, as you don't have to wait every 6 months

The ENTIRE OS is better than a single application?! get out of town. Fraudian slip much :rolleyes:

Why don't you come out and say what you REALLY wanted to say.

Comment

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I was just thinking about this yesterday, when I popped in a destination, hit search, hit directions, hit start... and thought, Ok, right now, this thing should zoom into an map scaled showing both my moving present location, and my next turn, connected by a bright route line! That's all it has to do. If they want to get fancy, have it recognize some basic voice commands, maybe bark back at you like GPS's like to do, & if they really want to get REALLY fancy, let me in-app buy the map download so I can use it offline, to be updated like any other app periodically.

Don't make me jog back and forth with the tiny arrows and figure out where I am with an also blue dot that doesn't appear to move, til you realize you're nowhere near that and you've turned on the wrong expressway three miles away... off a route colored the same color Grey/brown as all the other roads on the map to boot.

derp

Last edited:
Comment

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Google has NOT "provided the core Maps application for the iPhone". Google provides the APIs for the application, but Maps itself was written by Apple.

Comment

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009

That's Apple.

Dude. Did you hit mistakenly hit "submit" before you got to your point?

Comment

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
It will be interesting to see how Apple scales its resources to counter the Android threat. Historically they have been content with less number of Engineers. They have been trying to get away with it by shuffling people around but I suppose they can't do that forever.

Google's Rubin let it slip by in the recent Allthingsd conference that people are going to buy phones that deliver best search results and provide best navigation experience - sounds like Google will at the very best delay Google Maps updates for non-Android devices and at the worst not provide them at all.

With Maps 5.0 getting offline maps ability, vectorized (instead of tiled) maps with gestures etc. Apple has got some work to do in order to compete.

It's also interesting to note the Linux part in that job - I wonder if they are abandoning OS X Server for all their server side stuff. That would be one way to divert more resources to iOS I suppose.

Comment

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
About time - Android's Maps app is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS's. Google Navigation or an equally good free alternative on the iPhone would be very valuable.

Comment

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
its about damn time!!

simple things like:
auto-redirection
voice commands
a talking voice

maps.app has the potential to be very powerful, unfortunately apple has done hardly anything with it yet and forces its users to pay $30 for a nav app that should already be built in

Comment

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

sbcooler said:

That's Apple.

Put down the apple koolaid

You give us iPhone fanboys a bad rep

Comment

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Yea Maps is very good but is not quite perfect. Some things I'd like to see:

+Turn-by-turn Instructions
+Re-routing (e.g. avoid Highway 101)
+Search for the things close to your route
+Integration with Yelp

(Less Likely)
+Voice-recognition/speech for 100% hands-free operation while driving

I somehow think that voice recognition features are more likely than Yelp integration :rolleyes:

FWIW I use navigon frequently and it rocks. Either way, a maps.app update won't give me all the US & Canada map data without the need for a data connection, so I will likely always use Navigon or something like it.

Comment

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The dedicated nav systems like Garmin are pretty darn good. They have mounts and are big enough to easily see. And they have flip-out antennas which may have advantages to what is in a phone that may not have a great view of space from a console or wherever you can mount a phone.

I just wonder if the phone versions can be as good, or just cheaper.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.