Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eccleziast

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
I'm more excited about the display technology competition... who knows, image retention may someday be a thing of the past...

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Really interesting details on the air. Apple love to ignore how they arrived at such a thin product and just say it is 20% thinner etc. I'm always astounded to hear the actual figures and tech behind it but kinda glad apple gives us the short version and leaves out all the stats and specs.

You can't look at another make without being bombarded with numbers that mean nothing to the end product or use.

In reality the kindle fire HDX display being marginally better is neither here nor there as it's a much bulkier and much uglier device that isn't that much cheaper and is a copy of an older apple device.

Next we will see the clones go for thinner bezels to mimic apples stylings. But we all know they're products just ain't going to be right.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Are you saying this because you think Apple invented IGZO? Do you also think Apple is the first to release a product utilizing IGZO?

Apple for all intents and purposes bailed out Sharp with a big cash infusion ensuring IGZO made it to market, so yeah, I'd say his comment is pretty much spot on.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I received my iPad Air today and it's a lovely device the screen is gorgeous. IGZO looks to have been the right move from my perspective.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
/me imagines the thinness and battery life of the iPhone 6 using an IGZO display. :D

Not sure they can really make the phone thinner as the camera module is the limiting factor. Thinner phone would mean poorer camera.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
They forgot to add the magical new feature which is the addition of a trendy yellow hue to the display.

"Yellow's the new black, hun!"

(Sorry. Unsatisfied former iPad Air user here. Returned and refunded today)

Mannchild

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
17% + 70% + 20% + 25% + 23% = iPad Air really confuses me.

You know what they say...

60+percent+of+the+time+it+works+every+time.gif

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
They forgot to add the magical new feature which is the addition of a trendy yellow hue to the display.

"Yellow's the new black, hun!"

(Sorry. Unsatisfied former iPad Air user here. Returned and refunded today)

Mines not yellow, pristine white. I think you got a faulty one. :(

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I almost wish the iPad was the same thickness as the 4th gen. The battery life would have been awesome.

It IS awesome. Its actually slightly better battery life than the 4th gen. I got about 13.5 hours of casual use, watching HD YouTube and web browsing, over 2 days.

Thats well above the 4th gens battery life, while being significantly thinner and lighter at the same time. I think Apple made the right decision ;)

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
The air gap between the glass and the panel is highly disappointing. It is noticeably worse than the iPhone, iMac, and macbook pros.

:(

I'm not sure about the rMBP but I don't think the iPhone 5s and the new generation iMacs have air gaps since the the screen is laminated to the glass.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
It IS awesome. Its actually slightly better battery life than the 4th gen. I got about 13.5 hours of casual use, watching HD YouTube and web browsing, over 2 days.

Thats well above the 4th gens battery life, while being significantly thinner and lighter at the same time. I think Apple made the right decision ;)

What is your screen brightness set to?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i saw it in best buy and the screen did look a little different than my ipad 4

like the new one better, it looks less LCD like and easier on the eyes

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
does this mean that the display can turn off individual pixels?

i thought IGZO turns off any pixels that are 100% black to improve contrast, but haven't seen there anywhere in reports mentioning the iPA?

IGZO is just a type of transistor. It can be incorporated into LCD or OLED displays. This being the former.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
17% + 70% + 20% + 25% + 23% = iPad Air really confuses me.

Those are the thickness reduction percentages of each component. It doesn't need to add up to 100%. For example, one component is 70% slimmer than it used to be. Hence the minus sign in front of each percentage (its not a dash).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Should decrease time to charge also which is much needed my 3rd ten iPad takes forever to charge

Yeah, the battery is quite a bit smaller.

The only thing I wish my Air had is the removed display gap. The reduced reflections plus improved viewing angles are awesome on the iPhone. Not that the iPad display is bad...just it would make it that much better.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland

The battery was bigger in the 4th gen iPad.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
From the news article...

While the iPad Air's display is excellent, Soneira notes Apple is no longer at the top of the heap, with Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 display actually performing better than the iPad Air's display. This is made possible by Amazon's use of low temperature polysilicon (LTPS) technology, which offers even better performance and lower power requirements than IGZO.

LTPS is commonly used on displays for smaller devices such as the iPhone...
"LTPS is commonly used on displays for smaller devices such as the iPhone".

Do the current iPhones use LTPS already? The statement above is ambiguous on that point. If they do then IGZO might be of little interest for future iPhones since the DisplayMate article measured the Amazon HDX LTPS screen as being 30% more power efficient than the iPad Air IGZO screen after adjusting for equivalent luminance and surface area.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I wonder why they dont advertize this or that they use Gorilla Glass for example. They could lose a lot of customers.

er, no. most normal consumers dont know or care what IGZO is. all they want to know is whether the screen looks good and if the battery life is good. thats it. the number of people who would exclude based on obscure tech specs like IGZO is a fraction of buyers not worth worrying about.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Apple for all intents and purposes bailed out Sharp with a big cash infusion ensuring IGZO made it to market, so yeah, I'd say his comment is pretty much spot on.

So funding an organization so it can roll-out its technology would be considered inventing or innovating that technology? In that case, does this mean you will give credit to Microsoft for Apple's comeback circa 1998 when MS invested $150M into Apple?

gramtrax

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I got my ipad air yesterday and I have to say...the difference in size is really amazing. It feels just about like using an ipad mini.

I was skeptical on the faster cell specs but in my area the coverage is terrible and the extra antennae makes a huge difference. Now get 2-3 bars where before I was lucky to get 1 bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.