Apple's iPad Sales Up 15% Year-Over-Year in 3Q 2017

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in June introduced new 10.5 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models with new features like a faster processor and an improved ProMotion display with a 120Hz refresh rate, and it appears these new tablets are appealing to consumers.

Apple sold over 11.4 million iPads during the third quarter of 2017, according to today's earnings results, bringing in nearly $5 billion in revenue for the company.

That's up 15 percent from the third quarter of 2016, where Apple sold just under 10 million iPads. Compared to the second quarter of 2017, iPad sales are up an impressive 28 percent, indeed suggesting the new iPad Pro models have been a hit.

Apple also released a low-cost revamped "iPad" earlier this year, and its $329 price tag combined with a speedy A9 processor may also be driving iPad sales. iPad sales may climb even higher next quarter as the new iPad Pro models were introduced towards the end of the third quarter in June.

At 11.4 million iPads sold, Apple far exceeded analyst expectations. Many analysts forecasted a decline in sales, predicting Apple would sell only 7 to 9.8 million iPads during the quarter.

Prior to mid-2016, Apple saw a 10 quarter decline in iPad revenue, but numbers have climbed since the introduction of the iPad Pro and Apple's effort to position it as a full PC replacement.

Article Link: Apple's iPad Sales Up 15% Year-Over-Year in 3Q 2017

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

mellomike

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
I'm one of those new iPad owners. The new 10.5 iPad Pro with iOS 11 sold me.

I've owned an iPad in the past (3 years ago) ... but I ended up selling it because it didn't really keep me using it on a daily basis. This new 10.5 has been my new go-to device. I use it more than my iPhone and MacBook Air now.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY

I've owned an iPad in the past (3 years ago) ... but I ended up selling it because it didn't really keep me using it on a daily basis. This new 10.5 has been my new go-to device. I use it more than my iPhone and MacBook Air now.
I’m going to get a 10.5 inch iPad too, I saw it in store and the new display is breathtaking. I was skeptical of how much pro motion would make a difference, but it’s dramatic.

Duncan-UK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
I use iPad pros every day for work. They are superb devices for giving presentations and displaying PDFs on screen. I use the pencil and PDF Expert on a 9.7 and 10.5 Pro and have the 12 incher at home for preparation work. The 10.5 has allowed me to retire the big one in terms of being "on the road" and my only regret is that the 9.7 doesn't fast charge.

tomd25

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Not surprised to hear this. The 10.5" is a fantastic device, they've got it just right. The screen size is perfect, the device is incredibly powerful, the pencil is amazing, and iOS is starting to offer enough features that it can replace a laptop for many use cases. I didn't think I'd ever bother with an iPad again until it came out, so consider me a converted skeptic!

Sure the powerful and very fairly priced "normal" iPad has a lot to do with this too. Good work Apple :)

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Good to hear the new iPad low/high strategy is working.

The old strategy of iPad mini 3, mini 4, and Air 2 was killing sales performance quarter after quarter.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
I think its more that people using iPad 2, 3 and 4 are starting to upgrade now on top of the new customers is why its increased this time. Antidotally i'm seeing people i know with those generation iPads buy new ones in the last 6 months.

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I wish they broke the overall sales out, by device. I'd be curious to see if the driving force really is the "Pro" models, or if it's people deciding to purchase the new, lower price iPads at the low end.
With revenues up "only" 2%, the entry level model is driving the sales for that quarter, but folks need to remember that the 10.5" and 12.9" refresh did not start shipping until almost the end of the quarter. So if we see a strong revenue jump in 4Q, that will be a sign that the new and refreshed iPad Pros are selling strongly.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Good to hear the new iPad low/high strategy is working.

The old strategy of iPad mini 3, mini 4, and Air 2 was killing sales performance quarter after quarter.
Well, no. The old strategy of adding Touch ID to the mini 2 and calling it a 3, adding a chip to the Air and calling it and Air 2 was killing sales. Most people are not going to spend hundreds of $ to update to essentially the same device. This year's crop of iPads is really the first "all new" line up since the Air and Mini 2.

Edit: corrected mini 2 to 3 from 3 to 4.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
I wish they broke the overall sales out, by device. I'd be curious to see if the driving force really is the "Pro" models, or if it's people deciding to purchase the new, lower price iPads at the low end.
From WSJ:

iPad saw growth in many markets, including China and U.S. The iPad share of the market is 55% according to NPD, and much, much higher in the "high-end" of the market.

This suggests the Pro having significant effect. I doubt Air and Air 2 users are suddenly choosing to upgrade to the $329 model.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

I agree. I'm actually selling my 12inch macbook because of it. I still have my 15' macbook pro but I no longer need the macbook. It's the best iPad they've ever made and iOS 11 is really good.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The new 10.5" iPad Pro is stunning. This isn't surprising at all. Make an insanely great product and get insanely great profits. It felt like the iPad had stagnated a bit there in terms of innovation. This thing is about as fast as a MBP and is finally getting some pro-level design software. Affinity Photo (Designer coming soon) and Lightroom are incredible. Factoring in the beautiful HDR display, ProMotion, Apple Pencil, amazing battery life, and iOS 11 overhaul and you can't go wrong with this device. I'm really enjoying it and use it more than my MBP at home now.