Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Anyone else think this feature should be free? For one thing, it's something that people are going to use very rarely. Another thing is, imagine if someone dies because they didn't pay for this and couldn't signal for help?

This uses almost no satellite bandwidth and isn't necessary anywhere that has cellular traffic. Make it free, and fund it publically. The cost will probably be insignificant.
The iPhone SOS is free. Well for two years. Who knows if it will go to a subscription or stay free after that.

Believe it or not, the other satellite communicators (Garmin Inreach and SPOT) charge a subscription even for emergency use. If you had an Inreach or SPOT but didn’t have service activated on it you would be unable to use SOS at all.

Part of why it’s not free is that the satellite networks are privately owned (Iridium and Globalstar) and they want money. If you want it to be free to the public, you’re gonna have to get your politicians to agree to spending money on airtime for the people. Funny enough, the US government uses Iridium a lot for defense and other government work, not sure about Globalstar, but I’m sure it’s already a lot of money but it’s not just for SOS but also satellite phone calls.

But the other type of SOS device, the personal locator beacon or PLB, transmit distress signals that get picked up by satellites for free, there is no service cost. The difference with PLBs is that they’re strictly one way transmission, you can’t for instance say the nature of the emergency, you just turn it on and the rescuers go to your GPS coordinates. Satellite communicators are two-way devices and have that benefit that you can communicate with the rescuers.

So really the government technically picks up the tab for PLB devices, but not satellite communicator devices. You just have to buy a PLB which only has one function (SOS), oh and it’s a one time use device, once you use it for SOS you throw it away or pay to get it refurbished.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
This is actually a really amazing feature. There have been a few situations in my life where I almost needed this feature; thankfully I didn’t but others were not so lucky.

Reactions: Porco and JM

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Depends who shows up. Apple SOS contacts emergency services. They will coordinate a rescue which can include private companies, government agencies, or volunteers. Private will be your most expensive option.
In California, if CHP/Sheriff helicopter rescues you up it’s generally free. If a private medical helicopter picks you up it’s $20-40k lol.
local municipalities are known, but in some counties, local cities are charged for first responders and etc.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
What wonderful news in the OP!

This feature should be on every new iPhone that gets released in the future, including the cheapest budget model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porco and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Without a doubt sometime next summer you’re gonna hear about people who were able to use this feature out west in National Parks where there’s no service and they got lost, or injured or something.
There are many people that have to be airlifted out of the Grand Canyon every summer.

I wonder if this will help those people.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Well if it saves one person. Argument fulfilled…
I think so too. If it saves even one person in a real situation, this feature is already justified.

I think Apple should not charge a subscription for this feature after 2 years, but rather chrage a substantial fee when a person is rescued or body recovered, which is often covered by travel Insurance.

Reactions: MmkLucario

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I think so too. If it saves even one person in a real situation, this feature is already justified.

I think Apple should not charge a subscription for this feature after 2 years, but rather chrage a substantial fee when a person is rescued or body recovered, which is often covered by travel Insurance.
Exactly. And charge an even bigger fee if someone uses the satellite SOS unnecessarily (like in the city) without telling Apple about it.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
There are many people that have to be airlifted out of the Grand Canyon every summer.

I wonder if this will help those people.
Satellite communications (esp in devices with low transmit power with very limited antenna designs talking to constellations like Globalstar) don't work well with limited views of the sky, so certain parts of the Grand, I highly doubt it, but other locations it most certainly would work.

Reactions: Olivia23 and JM

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
.... only if you have an iPhone 14. What are the chances?

Sorry, but to me the "proper" thing to do would make this a software feature, and available to ALL iPhone users who were running OS 16. As it is....
You cannot replace the baseband/cellular SoC with a software update, man.

The 14s come with the X65 that has the baseband and antenna design and hardware needed to do this, this isn't just a software trick...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.