Apple's iPhone 4 "case"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EllieV, Jun 8, 2010.

1. EllieV macrumors 6502

Apple's iPhone 4 "case".
    Personally, I don't really understand it. It is just rubber around the edge of the phone. It's not even on the front or the back, rendering it pretty much useless. If the glass on the front and back are sooo good, then why do you even need the case? I also don't understand why it's where where it is. If the "case" is around the stainless steel rim, that doesn't make sense. If the rim is used as antennae, wouldn't a hunk of rubber around the antenna decrease it's efficiency?

2. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, when I was watching the keynote, I burst out laughing when I saw this, mostly due to the fact that it's $29.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

it's apple. i'm sure they have their reasons for designing it that way...

4. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The bumper is designed to protect the steel rim. It won't affect reception. The glass doesn't need protection, it's made of the same stuff as helicopter windows.

Personally I'll be waiting for someone to make a clear version for half the price.

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

yea, this is kinda lame. I mean the black bumper on white iPhone is cool looking, but for $29? Child please. Seeing how both the front and back of the iPhone 4 are really, really scratch resistance, I don't see an need for a case (and I'm a guy who must keep his devices intact. I kept the original plastic packaging on my iPod video until my case came in the mail and I have a modded Hori PSP screen protector on the back of my iPod touch 1st gen, which is collecting dust). I think I'm passing on a case this time. (most likely getting a white iPhone 4, since white doesnt show scratches).

7. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Was it just me or did he refer to it as a dock??

8. wolfie37 macrumors member

It isn't a "case" its a Bumper, it's an aesthetic accessory.

9. Jeff321 macrumors member

I had the original iPhone for 1 year and now the 3G for the past 2 years and I never used a case, screen protector, anything. No problems. With iPhone 4 the screen will be even tougher so a case is even more pointless now.

I agree that the band around the edge is a joke as well.

10. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

11. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I think a white iPhone 4 and a black bumper would look good. Probably try to find one cheaper than apples though and just get screen protectors for the front and back. Yeh the glass is supposed to be better scratch proof but I don't want to risk it.

12. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I have a clear, hard plastic case that covers the whole 3GS. I' ve dropped it on the cement a couple of times, among other things, for the past year and when I take the phone out of the case, the phone still looks and feels new, due to the great protection the case provided. I'm hoping for the same kind of case for the 4.

13. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I want a case that makes my 3G look like a 4.

14. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Why make a thread about how pissed you are at a case? I'm sure there will be a cheaper version out a week or two later.

Personally I'll be getting a bumper guard like those. I like them. But I'm not paying $30.

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

has anyone really scratched their iphone screen with just normal use? that glass is so scratch resistant you dont need anymore then the sides protected.

16. gordonnay macrumors member

does seem rather steep for a rubber band, but perhaps its for all of them? like the ipod socks? then its not too bad will have to wait and see!!!

17. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I think the idea is great. Front and back are super tough glass. If you don't like getting hairline scratches on the coating, I'm sure PowerSupport and others will release screen protector that covers both front and back.

As many said, bumper is to protect the stainless steal alloy from dropping, and I like the concept a lot. I hope someone else will make even more subtle, minimal "wrapper" at cheaper price. It's a shame if you have to hide that beautiful metal rim with a rubber band.

18. EllieV thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't seem like the steel band needs protection:.
    Quote from apple.com

19. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

20. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I must say the bumper on this beautiful industrial design sounds/looks like a bra for a Porche. :p

21. candyman macrumors regular

I see it more as just being able to add color to your phone. As it really isn't worth the production costs to follow the iPod Nano in offering a large selection of colors, this is a quick cheap way to make your iPhone blue or green or pink, etc. while offering a little more protection around the edges.

22. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Anyone wanna photoshop a larger pic of the white iPhone with the black band on it? It's a nice color combo.

23. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I think it looks like a toy with a bumper, I am most definitely getting the black version but I'm still deciding weather to go naked or buy a black bumper. I guess I would have it in my hand to decide.

24. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Well I think apple believes the glass is strong enough so they didn't cover it with their case

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

This

You said it right, but then contradicted yourself on the last comment, unless you are talking directly about the stainless steal band, in which case, it is crucially part of the iPhone 4's unique engineering, as they are the antennas.

The screen, and backside will be more tougher, like you mentioned, as it's scratch resistant glass. But as for the band....

Strength doesn't mean it won't scratch. It just means that it will be very tough to break. The glass, however is specifically meant to be scratch resistant, as CougerCat effectively referenced, it's the same material used in helicopter and train windows.

If you read a bit more into it and understand the materials more carefully, you'll understand why it makes perfect sense that Apple created the bumper cases that only shield the band and not the face sides of the phone, as doing so might be unneccessary extra protection that would also add bulk and thickness to the phone; something I doubt Apple intends to do.

The price of course, is a different story. But hey, that's Apple. ;)