Apple's iPhone Sales in China Down an Estimated 30% in Q1 2019, Huawei Continues to Dominate

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2019.

1. FFR Suspended

FFR

You seem to be unaware of the difference in components between the brands.

256 gb of ufs storage is much cheaper than 64gb of nvme storage, it’s also inferior. Just remember you get what you pay for unless it’s an android premium device then your overpaying by about 60%.

It’s great that you didn’t mention the iPhones 8 core npu, 120hz touch sensing screen , Taptic engine, dual speakers , stainless steel frame, and Face ID. There is so much more, but you should keep focusing on the basics like ram and megapixel count to further your inaccurate point.

Huawei cfo doesn’t think the iPhone is overpriced either, or the iPad or the MacBook.

Great camera , just not when you compare it to the competition.
    [​IMG]

2. cardfan macrumors 68000

This isn't exactly someone I would trust with security on my phone even if you could clean it all up or want to devote your time to doing that. From https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ung-needs-to-offer-a-more-complete-package/2/:

Since this is a Samsung phone, let's talk crapware! This is an unlocked phone direct from Samsung, so with no carrier involvement, this is as good as it gets. Despite being a premium, $1,000 smartphone, the Galaxy S10 comes loaded with ads, even my unlocked version. There are apps from Flipboard and Spotify as well as a unremovable version of Facebook. McAfee Anti-virus is baked into the operating system as "security," and the Samsung Gallery app wants to share my location with Foursquare. The storage management settings, which is just a simple file-cleanup app, is "Powered by Qihoo 360," a Chinese security company. A caller-ID feature built into the phone app is provided by a company called "Hiya."

Once you run through setup and connect to Wi-Fi, the phone spawns an undismissable "Secure Wi-Fi" notification, which, it turns out, is an ad for McAfee VPN subscription service. I tried blocking the notification—it's not blockable—but it turns out you can open the advertisement, carefully consider subscribing to McAfee VPN, say "No," and then it will go away. Cool.

The clash between Google and Samsung is visible all over the phone, and mostly it will manifest in having two competing version of every basic phone feature. During setup, you'll be asked to sign in with two different accounts, one from Google and one from Samsung. There are two app stores, Google Play and Galaxy Apps; two voice Assistants, the Google Assistant and Bixby; two browsers, Samsung Internet and Chrome; two security systems, Google Play Protect and McAfee; two "find my phone" systems, two password systems, two galleries, and two music solutions. The duality of everything makes some common tasks profoundly weird. After the usual ritual of setting up the phone and installing all the updates in the Play Store, I wandered into Galaxy Apps and found 14 more updates waiting for Samsung apps. You really do have to straddle two different ecosystems.

Samsung has made strides with the One UI, and its skin actually wouldn't be the worst thing on Earth if there was some cohesiveness to it. Right now, it's a messy pile of apps from Google, apps from Samsung, and apps that basically boil down to Samsung selling space for rent on your $1,000 smartphone. There is a clear priority here: Samsung's interests are valued over the interests of the user. Rather than just ship software that would create a good, cohesive experience and make the Galaxy S10 the best it can be, Samsung's One UI is a conflict of interests from various Samsung divisions and spots sold to app partners.

3. FFR Suspended

FFR

Samsung are having their own set of problems.

[​IMG]

4. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

My bad. It's priced $9.99 in the US I thought it's the same over there.

Thanks for clarifying.

Apple Music still got a lot of localization work to do in order to gain larger audience in China.

5. nicho macrumors 68030

Why are you under that impression? Are you assuming, as with price, that the Chinese Apple Music has the exact same content and recommendations as the US one?

6. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Yup. Very little to do with device features, quality, even price to an extent. They are told to buy Chinese made devices and they get in line wave the flag and step up. Nothing more. I'm always surprised how difficult this is for people to understand the culture in China and how it relates to their purchases. :apple:

7. zlt1228 macrumors newbie

zlt1228

As a Chinese, after you have spent 9000 yuan on an iPhone X, which is not affordable for approximately 95% of the population, it is not likely that you spend another 9000 on a XS.

8. MacLoveMacHate macrumors regular

MacLoveMacHate

"They have a camera with 5x zoom and night mode? Oh."

9. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

TLDR

10. Bigballer31 macrumors newbie

Bigballer31

Lol, Huawei just mark the box on the specs. Iphones will still run rings around the P30. It is the user experience that sets the iphone apart.

11. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

In the same vein, Apple’s competitors are not invincible either, yet the critics keep treating them like they are infallible and beyond reproach while Apple’s every misstep is always the under immense scrutiny and Apple is constantly one step away from irrelevance.

Remember when people here were praising the google pixel 3 phone to the high heavens? Turns out - it’s night sight camera was pretty much the only saving grace for what was otherwise a very crappy smartphone, yet its whole laundry list of shortcomings seemed to have been swept under the carpet. But they matter, because the pixel 3 device sold very poorly by Google’s own account.

This forum practically went insane when the galaxy fold was announced, and look how that ended up. Isn’t it funny how every new Apple product get subject to the most absurd scenarios (where are the robbers looking to cut off my finger to get into my iPhone?) while the S10’s crappy face unlock feature essentially gets a free pass.

And no one here seems willing to even entertain the possibility that foldable phones might not be the future, at least not here at Apple. Apple is doomed simply because they aren’t jumping on the latest tech trends, even if they are niche product categories which barely earn the company any money.

Meanwhile, the importance of the Apple ecosystem constantly gets downplayed, yet to me, that is one of Apple’s biggest advantages. Nobody seems to care or realise that companies like Samsung are forced to rely on hardware because their software and services ecosystem is practically nonexistent.

And that to me makes all the difference. Apple recently announced 900 million active iPhone users. We may be fewer in number compared to android, but there is still enough of us to sustain our own thriving ecosystem. Not least because Apple has aggregated the best customers.

Apple will be just fine. I will worry more about the competition if I were you.

12. Gogeta-Blue Suspended

Gogeta-Blue

very good comment, i agreed 99.9% the only point that i think a bit different is where you mentioned about fordable phones, who that ended up, for me the way i see it, they haven’t even strated yet, they have a little problem with some screens before launch, so they made a responsable decision to make a recall, but i don’t think it was all the screens that had problem, but at least they did the right thing, i be honest with you, i like apple my problem
    is Tim, yes apple is successful and everything but i don’t know there is something about Tim that i just don’t like. basically i agreed with everything you said but i think making the recall was better than saying that the ipads pro don’t have any curve, fordable phones might not be the future but the ones we have now look very cool, remember first models are really like prototypes, they will continue to get inprovements

13. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

That’s what happens when your product runs the same underlying software as everyone else.

14. FFR Suspended

FFR

Pixel 3 sales have been disappointing, which as you stated contradicts what a few poster were claiming.

[​IMG]

Not much competition left for apple

[​IMG]

15. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

And in another few weeks, there will be a new king. And then another one after that. There will be no lack of “iphone killers” fighting what is ultimately a futile and meaningless battle.

Apple will still take the lion’s share of the profits all the same.

16. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

MS’s annual revenue is 60m. McD’s annual revenue is over 20b.

If the future Apple wants to be as irrelevant as Morton’s then your thinking is correct.

17. FFR Suspended

FFR

Remember the essential phone, good times.

18. FFR Suspended

FFR

Apple is currently selling over 200 million iPhones a year with asp of over $800.

That’s not what I would call irrelevant.

19. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I think the real question we have to ask right now is how profitable Huawei’s smartphone business really is. Because this is not the first time a smartphone vendor goes all out trying to capture market share and then recedes once they realize there are no profits to be made in the ultra-competitive Android ecosphere.

Not to mention that unlike Apple, Huawei has no way of monetising their user base beyond the initial sale of the phone. No App Store, no services, no hardware accessories, nothing.

Apple has been able to carve out a nice niche and captive user base for itself with iOS and I wouldn’t worry about its current temporary slump. Eventually, I am confident that once-Apple customer-users will come back after they see an attractive new model and long for the richness and reliability of iOS. For Apple, I suspect this will be in 2020 when they release 5G based phones and trigger a new renewal cycle.

What Huawei is going to do once they saturate chinese market and hit the wall in R&D will answer a lot of questions if this is simply another final blaze of glory or a mainstay who will supplant Samsung as the top Android dog.

20. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

I was going after your logic. Not what Apple is or isn’t.

Your analogy was wrong.

21. FFR Suspended

FFR

Your going after the fact that apple is selling over 200 million iPhones a year at an asp of $800

That’s not an analogy.

22. FFR Suspended

FFR

Your completely right regarding sustainable sales growth over saturation of developing markets.

Here is another question, Who is going to make all the phones for these android oems.

[​IMG]

Other than Huawei, a private company that sells a lot of cheap phones, the android premium market is crumbling. Samsung had a 60% collapse in revenue, phones aren’t selling and that’s really bad because they supply most of the components that go into their phones.

lg, HTC, and sony are pretty much finished.

Razer stopped making android phones and fired the team from the nextbit acquisition.

Even the relicensed Nokia and blackberry devices have failed.

Leneovo and Xiaomi have both begun to decline in sales as well.

The only player left is bbk mobile and they are cleaning up in China and India. But for now long?

23. ipponrg macrumors 68000

You’re

You’re

You have a good thought out replies, but I’m wondering why you never spell “you’re” right in most of your posts. :mad:

24. FFR Suspended

FFR

It appears to be so.

Typing on an a new iPhone and keyboard shortcuts didn’t carry through on the restore.

Thanks for the heads up.