Apple's iPhone Sales in China Down an Estimated 30% in Q1 2019, Huawei Continues to Dominate

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
You are correct, Samsung has less than 1%
market share in China. They can’t do any worse.

Yes it looks like Samsung is in the most trouble.
The next two quarter will be very painful for them and their investors.
This is the main reason I think Samsung rushed out the Fold. Samsung has seen a serious deterioration in its marketshare, and it's in a real fight with the big Chinese handset makers. I believe the S10 release was a lackluster one (please explain what makes it better than the S9 or even the S8), and they hoped the Fold would somehow mask this fact. Samsung doesn't really offer anything at this point that really differentiates it like from companies like Huawei in the way that iOS does for Apple. In the long run, Apple may be in trouble, but right now the company really in trouble is Samsung. They may go the way of LG.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
This is the main reason I think Samsung rushed out the Fold. Samsung has seen a serious deterioration in its marketshare, and it's in a real fight with the big Chinese handset makers. I believe the S10 release was a lackluster one (please explain what makes it better than the S9 or even the S8), and they hoped the Fold would somehow mask this fact. Samsung doesn't really offer anything at this point that really differentiates it like from companies like Huawei in the way that iOS does for Apple. In the long run, Apple may be in trouble, but right now the company really in trouble is Samsung. They may go the way of LG.
Apparently there are now reports of the s10 exploding. Things just seem to be getting worse and worse for Samsung.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is the main reason I think Samsung rushed out the Fold. Samsung has seen a serious deterioration in its marketshare, and it's in a real fight with the big Chinese handset makers....
Some of us have been saying the competition for Samsung is not Apple but the Chinese phone manufacturers. That seems, indeed, that this might be the case.
[doublepost=1556663437][/doublepost]
Is Apple’s target market the “idiots” then. Those who want to pay more for less?...
Totally subjective. Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
But where does most malware come from? Installing bad apps which I don't do, side loading apps from shady websites, which I don't do, malware injected into ads, I don't have ads anywhere on my phone, etc. I'm able to monitor all the traffic going in and out of my phone daily. Platform wide? I use Android right now, iOS when they do something exciting, and Windows on PC which I barely if ever use my laptop. So I'm not tied into any one platform. If I were to get hit by Malware, Spyware, or any hack of sort it would come thru my phone which I have security locked down.
Hopefully this is not turning into a back and forth. I just wanted the guy to back up his comment and show who had the better security.
Far fewer than 10% of Android users are able to do what you’re talking about doing. The other 90-99% are at risk.

FNH15

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
If a stock corolla had the handling characteristics of an m3 and cost $23k bmw would go out of business, and that’s a big if. The gap between a $200 android and iPhone, is as big as the gap between a corolla and m3.

Y
Unfortunately Apple is not the only premium phone manufacture in China.
Huawei, ZTE makes premium phones as well.

And today the gap between an iPhone and a $200 android is not that big.
Would people still buy 450HP M3-s if a stock Corolla could do 400HP?

The comparison here, for once, is apt, but you won’t like how it serves your argument.

An M3 is RWD, employs advanced suspension, engine, and electronic designs. It’s chassis is worlds apart from a Corolla, to say nothing of tye significant advances even a 320i has over a Corolla. Put simply, even the base, lowest end model based on its chassis outclasses the Corolla or even Lexus models.

Similarly, these manufacturers you list do not compete with Apple in terms of hardware design and longevity; they compete on price, and price alone.

The difference is what people value. I will not consider a car that is not RWD, is not a straight 6, and does not have steering feedback. I simply won’t. People who buy BMWs and Porsche’s, etc. based on their engineering merits won’t consider something like a Corolla. Similarly, if you value longevity, industrial design and security, you aren’t looking at anything but an iOS device. The Chinese market doesn’t value the latter, and so you have the rise of domestic Chinese brands.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
How? If McDonald's sees a jump in revenue does it mean Morton's Steakhouse is losing the war?
no because they don't sell the same products
steak house is not like mc Donalds
so there is really no war going on between them

but you can compare, mcdonalds with Wendys and Burger King
they do compete against each other
but this is not about burgers lol

apple is not selling that many iPhones in china

isn't Huawei selling more phones than apple in china?
at least in this quarter

that's why I said they are loosing the war
because they are

Huawei is beating apple in sales on china
there is no reason to get upset or make a big deal out of it

is good that this happens, mr cook thinks he own the world

here is to you mr cook a doze of reality directly from china with love
lol

you can hide from others but you can't never hide from your true self

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
no because they don't sell the same products
steak house is not like mc Donalds
so there is really no war going on between them

but you can compare, mcdonalds with Wendys and Burger King
they do compete against each other
but this is not about burgers lol

apple is not selling that many iPhones in china

isn't Huawei selling more phones than apple in china?
at least in this quarter

that's why I said they are loosing the war
because they are

Huawei is beating apple in sales on china
there is no reason to get upset or make a big deal out of it

is good that this happens, mr cook thinks he own the world

here is to you mr cook a doze of reality directly from china with love
lol

you can hide from others but you can't never hide from your true self
Why would I get upset? Apple dominates the high-end smartphone market. Huawei, ZTE or anyone else selling a boatload of dirt-cheap phones doesn’t affect Apple one bit.
[doublepost=1556677826][/doublepost]
toyota also makes lexus and that directly competes with bmw lol

these mid range manufactuer also make high end devices.
Comparing Lexus sales to BMW sales would be reasonable since they have a lot of competing models in the same class. Comparing Lexus + Toyota to BMW is ridiculous. Which is exactly what people comparing Samsung to Apple are doing. Separate out the Samsung flagships and their sales are a fraction of the iPhone.

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
It's difficult for Apple to compete in China. The flagship Huawei are selling very well. Chinese brands are trying new things with innovative ideas which are quite good. People are buying them like crazy.
[doublepost=1556680429][/doublepost]
Apple has the privacy issue on its side, but more and more people don’t care about that issue it seems. People want cheap and free even it means selling their personal information
Most people don't care about privacy. With Google and Facebook, there is no such thing as privacy.

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
While iTunes / Apple Music has been great in many countries, there are far more much cheaper and better localized options in China. $10 a month? You can get more music choices & more streaming options for less than $20 a YEAR on QQ music.
I'd probably get banned for describing this statement accurately.

Suffice to say, the Apple Music family plan i subscribe to costs 15RMB per month, which is under $2.50 (or under $30 a year) and the regular one is 10RMB per month. That's under $20 per YEAR...

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
Far fewer than 10% of Android users are able to do what you’re talking about doing. The other 90-99% are at risk.
Why should I be worried about 90% of other Android users, are you worried about the percentage of iPhone users that lack the basic knowledge of online security? Sure I wish more people knew how to do these things on both platforms but it's not my issue they don't. I also wouldn't say 90% because again it takes making dumb mistakes to get malware/spyware on your device and you're implying 90% of Android users are dumb and reckless, same could be said for iOS users but again I'd be just pulling numbers out of my....

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
iMessage & Facetime work in China. Plus they have privacy.You should use that. Dont use iCloud in China, if you value privacy. Use encrypted iTunes backup.
It's impossible not to use WeChat or Alipay in China as public services are tied to them. You cannot get any public service in some cases (e.g. medical appointment) without booking through WeChat mini application. Facetime Audio is banned in China. iCloud services in China are run by Chinese govt. org. iPhones buyers in China have no option but to use them. Most Apple services such as iTunes Music Store, Book Store, Movies are banned in China. Local services provide much better service. Nobody used iCloud as a cloud storage as they use Alibaba which is much cheaper. No one cares about privacy in China.

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
The Chinese people are not stupid. They want the best products. There's no way iPhone sales have plummeted by anything like 30% in China. Apple is still the industry leader and the Chinese people know it.
Sure, they are not stupid, but they are certainly patriotic. No way Apple can beat Huawei's patriotic marketing.

It's interesting to see Apple following Samsung's footsteps in China, whose market share went from #1 to NaN.

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
Facetime Audio is banned in China
It isn't banned. It just (I presume) isn't allowed to be included on devices under a certain size. I've bought two ipads and an ipad mini in mainland China in the past 12 months, and been issued another by my employer, and all of them have access to Facetime Audio.

edit: all of those ipads were wifi-only. on the official specs it isn't listed as being a feature. I'm guessing its not tied to size but cellular connectivity.

zlt1228

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2019
Not a surprise. Competitors does better camera in low light and so... Better screen... Better autonomy, cheaper... And include fast charger...

Apple is seriously in trouble if they keep putting all their effort in phones only and don't update their mac and keyboards soon...
Better screen? Seriously?

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
It's impossible not to use WeChat or Alipay in China as public services are tied to them. You cannot get any public service in some cases (e.g. medical appointment) without booking through WeChat mini application. Facetime Audio is banned in China. iCloud services in China are run by Chinese govt. org. iPhones buyers in China have no option but to use them. Most Apple services such as iTunes Music Store, Book Store, Movies are banned in China. Local services provide much better service. Nobody used iCloud as a cloud storage as they use Alibaba which is much cheaper. No one cares about privacy in China.
There is a good base of customers who value privacy in China.

zlt1228

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2019
Huawei is “Dominating” the Chinese market because most of the phones they sell is around $200, called Maimang and Changxiang, not the P and Mate series people always hear about in the US. Coming from a Chinese.

Reactions: racerhomie

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
Huawei is “Dominating” the Chinese market because most of the phones they sell is around $200, called Maimang and Changxiang, not the P and Mate series people always hear about in the US. Coming from a Chinese.
FWIW, my Taiwanese/Chinese parents and all their retired old friends traveled to China for vacation but also wanted to buy a (not-yet-released) Huawei phone. My mother thought the Huawei phones/stores were more "exciting" than her current iPhone.

Reactions: ROGmaster

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
Why would I get upset? Apple dominates the high-end smartphone market. Huawei, ZTE or anyone else selling a boatload of dirt-cheap phones doesn’t affect Apple one bit.
you don't get upset but others do, like loyal apple fans that take things everything personal
like when some one says something that they don't like about apple

yes I was writing to you but others also read the post
so something I write things to you and other times I write in general

yes apple might still dominate but for how long
apple might still dominate over all but they are not dominating in china that's for sure

little by little all those companies will begin to affect apple a lot
you think that apple is invincible but one day they will fall
their arrogance will be their downfall
never underestimate your opponent

Huawei might sell dirt cheap phones but how much you think is the cost to make an iPhone
also dirt-cheap, the only difference is that apple sell it for about 10 times the production cost

don't get me wrong I'm not a apple hater but I'm just very realistic
and pretending that apple products are free from defect while criticizing other companies is not fair

the truth is that people are paying just for the apple logo or apple brand

honestly the only thing that helps apple is not really their hardware
is their software, that is their only advantage

but is all good, everybody thinks different
regards

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Why should I be worried about 90% of other Android users, are you worried about the percentage of iPhone users that lack the basic knowledge of online security? Sure I wish more people knew how to do these things on both platforms but it's not my issue they don't. I also wouldn't say 90% because again it takes making dumb mistakes to get malware/spyware on your device and you're implying 90% of Android users are dumb and reckless, same could be said for iOS users but again I'd be just pulling numbers out of my....
You missed my entire point.

You expressed the concerns of an android user well: malware from certain sources, and the steps needed to mitigate those threats:

Installing bad apps which I don't do, side loading apps from shady websites, which I don't do, malware injected into ads, I don't have ads anywhere on my phone, etc. I'm able to monitor all the traffic going in and out of my phone daily.
You are obviously a highly technical user, and are able to shield yourself from those issues. But if you look at the entire population of android users, there is no way you’re going to convince me that more than 1 in 10 have the skill set to do that. Do 9 in 10 know which sites are shady and can’t be trusted for downloads? How does one even keep up with that list? Hang out on AndroidCentral (or wherever android users hang out these days)?

And really, monitor all the traffic going in and out of your phone daily? Does 1 in 100 Android users even know that (or how) they could do that, let alone actually do it? And who wants to have to do that? That’s ridiculous. Why should anybody have to do that, to be secure? That’s insane. Nobody I know would do that.

My point is that 100% of iPhone users don’t have to worry about any of that crap. My mom, dad, grandparents, even my siblings can’t protect themselves as you can. They would be absolutely lost and overwhelmed looking at all those permissions. They wouldn’t know what to change to increase their privacy. They simply don’t have the necessary technical skill—or desire quite frankly—and with iPhone they don’t have to worry about it.

iOS is built with security in mind, from sandboxed apps to Apple’s App Store, policies and controls that are designed to prevent the types of abuse that are rampant with Android.

Android works for you and that’s awesome. But as the tech support for my family, I would never recommend Android to them. Everyone is on iPhone and they like it and I like it.

tl;dr: It takes knowledge and skill to maintain privacy and be secure on Android, and many non-techies aren’t capable. iOS users don’t have to worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intellectua1

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Better screen? Doubtful. Autonomy is what sells in China? Nah. And I’m sure the charger makes a big difference.

btw which Mac needs to be updated to keep Apple from being “seriously in trouble”?

Try again.
I think you need to list out all the technical spec and compare.

XS Max
1242 x 2688 pixels
4G Ram
64GB storage
157.5 x 77.4 x 7.7 mm
208g
12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, OIS, PDAF
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4", 1.0µm, OIS, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
3174 mAh battery
Fast battery charging 15W: 50% in 30 min
starting $1099 USD

Huawei P30 Pro
1080 x 2340 pixels
8G ram
256GB stroage
158 x 73.4 x 8.4 mm
192g
40 MP, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7", PDAF, OIS
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.7", PDAF
Periscope 8 MP, f/3.4, 125mm (telephoto), 1/4", 5x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF
4200 mAh battery
Fast battery charging 40W (70% in 30 min)
USB-C connector
Starting at $820 USD

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Apple is overprice...big time and technically inferior to other phone out there. Back in the old days, Android was a bit choppy on navigation and playing mobile games was quite a few slower than iphone. However, if you start looking at the new Android in 2018/2019, they are indeed as fast as iphone. I own both XS Max and a 2019 Android top of the line model. Sorry to say, but performance is just about the same, but the price for the android is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Buying a Sony X1 or Samsung S10+ for similar price as the Huawei and you can forget about the privacy issue tie with Huawei.

Reactions: ilikewhey

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I think you need to list out all the technical spec and compare.

XS Max
1242 x 2688 pixels
4G Ram
64GB storage
157.5 x 77.4 x 7.7 mm
208g
12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, OIS, PDAF
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4", 1.0µm, OIS, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
3174 mAh battery
Fast battery charging 15W: 50% in 30 min
starting $1099 USD

Huawei P30 Pro
1080 x 2340 pixels
8G ram
256GB stroage
158 x 73.4 x 8.4 mm
192g
40 MP, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7", PDAF, OIS
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.7", PDAF
Periscope 8 MP, f/3.4, 125mm (telephoto), 1/4", 5x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF
4200 mAh battery
Fast battery charging 40W (70% in 30 min)
USB-C connector
Starting at $820 USD

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Apple is overprice...big time and technically inferior to other phone out there. Back in the old days, Android was a bit choppy on navigation and playing mobile games was quite a few slower than iphone. However, if you start looking at the new Android in 2018/2019, they are indeed as fast as iphone. I own both XS Max and a 2019 Android top of the line model. Sorry to say, but performance is just about the same, but the price for the android is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Buying a Sony X1 or Samsung S10+ for similar price as the Huawei and you can forget about the privacy issue tie with Huawei.
I don’t know why you quoted me. None of what you wrote has anything to do with the original post, or my reply to it.

Last edited:

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
You missed my entire point.

You expressed the concerns of an android user well: malware from certain sources, and the steps needed to mitigate those threats:

You are obviously a highly technical user, and are able to shield yourself from those issues. But if you look at the entire population of android users, there is no way you’re going to convince me that more than 1 in 10 have the skill set to do that. Do 9 in 10 know which sites are shady and can’t be trusted for downloads? How does one even keep up with that list? Hang out on AndroidCentral (or wherever android users hang out these days)?

And really, monitor all the traffic going in and out of your phone daily? Does 1 in 100 Android users even know that (or how) they could do that, let alone actually do it? And who wants to have to do that? That’s ridiculous. Why should anybody have to do that, to be secure? That’s insane. Nobody I know would do that.

My point is that 100% of iPhone users don’t have to worry about any of that crap. My mom, dad, grandparents, even my siblings can’t protect themselves as you can. They would be absolutely lost and overwhelmed looking at all those permissions. They wouldn’t know what to change to increase their privacy. They simply don’t have the necessary technical skill—or desire quite frankly—and with iPhone they don’t have to worry about it.

iOS is built with security in mind, from sandboxed apps to Apple’s App Store, policies and controls that are designed to prevent the types of abuse that are rampant with Android.

Android works for you and that’s awesome. But as the tech support for my family, I would never recommend Android to them. Everyone is on iPhone and they like it and I like it.

tl;dr: It takes knowledge and skill to maintain privacy and be secure on Android, and many non-techies aren’t capable. iOS users don’t have to worry about it.
In my defense I was at the movies when I last replied so it may have been gibberish but great way to drive your point. You're right, the average user won't know how or even bother with trying to figure out how to enhance the security on their device, most would rather buy a device that has security in mind and not have to worry about it. This is stuff I enjoy doing so it's not much of a hassle for me. Well sir, I have no other arguments, I will bow out of this convo lol.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
There’s been an anti Apple campaign going on in China in response to Trump’s trade wars and the arrest of the Huwawei CEO. Not surprising that the Chinese are choosing to support a Chinese company.

Last edited: