Apple's iPhone TV Ads Boost Individual App Sales

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

It's long been observed that songs featured prominently in Apple's ads have seen a sudden boost in popularity. Lesser known artists such as Feist and Yael Naim have seen instant fame following the airing of Apple's iPod Nano (1234) and MacBook Air (New Soul) ads.

The phenomenon appears to extend to iPhone applications as well. Apple's recent iPhone ads have prominently featured a number of App Store apps. Andrew Kaz and Phill Ryu's Classics App [App Store] which was featured in Apple's "Read" commercial saw a remarkable boost in sales immediately following the ad's broadcast:

Sales of the book reader immediately jumped up 6 times their previous baseline. Since then, Classics has managed to stay in the Top 15 paid apps.

While any prominent exposure will obviously help stimulate sales, even the developers were surprised at the magnitude of the response.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone TV Ads Boost Individual App Sales

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
You will start to see more advertisements for individual apps.

TMZ.com for example is now advertising their iphone app near the end of their show. Any other apps for current shows, stores, products...i.e. Target...could always be advertised at the end of commercials/paper ads etc...

The one drawback is that yes iphones are popular...but they aren't THAT popular...i mean how much of the population has the iphone? 1% -3%? so for now targeted advertising is the way to go, but I think its great for a developer to get some ads on this site, gizmodo, etc... you need to get the word out.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Highlights the major issue

This highlights the major problem for those complaining that the App Store is just going to devolve to an "all-free, low-quality bunch of apps".

The problem is that by placing free and paid apps together, the app store (in the absence of trial versions) gives them almost equal quality in the mind of consumers (the only differentiating factor might be the icon). To get around this, developers need to think about advertising. They can't just place their apps on the store and expect sales to magically happen.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
All I have to say is that it worked on me.

I download two apps specifically because I saw them on ads: Lose It (free, to manage daily caloric intake) and Rocket Taxi ($1.99, does what you think it does).

I think Lose It is an awesome app. I love that it was free, but I would have paid for it. It is that good.

In my opinion, part of the problem with the app store is sifting through the trash, either paid or free, to find the good stuff. And the reviews are generally not helpful to me. It seems like a lot of people who review the products have no clue what they are doing.

If Apple is going to highlight the best apps for me, I'd be all for it. If anyone knows of a good iPhone app website, let me know because I'd love to check it out. I know Touch Arcade is out there, but I don't care about games.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Apple makes money, devs make money - it's all good. I just wish I was a dev I guess...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
There needs to be a better way for people to discover applications within the store if adverts have this much affect on sales.
That's not really a true-true-related statement. Adverts are supposed to have an affect on sales, otherwise people wouldn't spend money on them.

That's like saying Budweiser's superbowl commercials boosting sales of Budweiser must mean that Bud beer is better and people just didn't know about it. Or something like that. :)

arn

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
There needs to be a better way for people to discover applications within the store if adverts have this much affect on sales.
This is exactly right making it ripe for advertising. I have money to spend in the AppStore but it is so painful trying to find something that is decent. I most just end up going with apps that I read on here or that friends tell me about.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
That's like saying Budweiser's superbowl commercials boosting sales of Budweiser must mean that Bud beer is better and people just didn't know about it. Or something like that. :)

arn
True. American 'beer' is awful.

stokessd

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
This highlights that browsing the App store is awful. There's no easy way to see what's in it. It's impossible on the phone (sure I'd like to see the next 25 of 5000 fart apps), and not much better on iTunes.

I rely on blogs and such to tell me what is good, and that sucks.

No try before you buy also sucks, but that's a topic for another day.

Sheldon

fluffy

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
Wow, advertising increases sales? Who would have guessed?!

I found it a bit interesting that Apple selected to advertise Shazam over Midomi, considering Midomi is the far superior application and seems to do a better job of finding (or at least trying to find) things. I think Midomi also came out first. But Shazam has a much more iPhone-looking interface, so I can understand Apple selecting to use that in an ad.

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
really now?

LOL - I hate being one of those guys on blogs that are mean... BUT...

Advertising = rising sales? NOOO WAYYYYY

What an interesting concept! lol

;)

Crown

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
In my opinion, part of the problem with the app store is sifting through the trash, either paid or free, to find the good stuff. And the reviews are generally not helpful to me. It seems like a lot of people who review the products have no clue what they are doing.

If Apple is going to highlight the best apps for me, I'd be all for it.
I believe Apple as a company knows that in order for the app store to sustain its early success, they must develop a better way of separating the good apps from the lousy ones. How they go about this is the tricky part.

I agree with you that the review/rating system is generally not very helpful. I think this is due to a number of reasons. First; Because of the way the rating system is set up, the majority of the people that are rating/reviewing the app, are the same ones who are deleting it. This makes it extremely easy to rate an app negatively. I would like to see Apple introduce some sort of simple dialog box that popped up upon starting the app after XX number of uses asking the user rate the app. With this, the app's rating will now be reflective of actual users of the app and not just the negative ranting reviews/1 stars that are all so common.

On that note, I would like to see Apple ditch the 5 star rating system in favor of a 1-10 ranking for all apps. This will put a measurable distance between the best apps and the worst. In time, Apple could even incorporate an IGN.com- style rating system for the apps that are games. (gameplay, graphics, lasting appeal, etc)

I believe Apple has recognized the limitations of the app store, and is actively developing new ways to improve it. It should be interesting to watch the app store grow over time. I have a feeling that in 5 years it may not look, or be anything like it is today.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
I have seen it too

I have noticed it too with one of my apps, solely on the basis that one of my apps fall under the same category as one of the apps in the commercial. What is even more interesting that I think that the graph shown is not indicative of the price drop but instead what nights the commercials are aired. For example the Office after the superbowl had all of the iPhone app commercials and that was one of my best days. Also what is more interesting is Thursdays and Mondays my apps tend to do better ... Any correlation to the Office/30 Rock on Thursdays... and a possible correlation between HIMYM/Big Bang/Chuck on Monday... IDK just my 2 cents.

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Hmmm, I haven't bought anything on iTunes as I've never opened an account. Don't have an iPhone either! But yeah this makes perfect sense. 6 times is quite a good return too.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The one drawback is that yes iphones are popular...but they aren't THAT popular...i mean how much of the population has the iphone? 1% -3%
Where the puck will be, where the puck will be.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Gawd, they had me at "iPhone!" Yup, I'm that weak-will, weak-minded, blubbering idiot that tends to buy at will; you know, that guy without the willpower to not press "Install & Confirm, then punch in my Password!" Gawd I'm a weak excuse of a man...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.