Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefanhater

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
I think it's a matter of delivery. The sales are there, but Apple can't report them unless they've shipped the product, which they can't at the moment due to supply constraints and production issues.

I think we'll see a big number reported at WWDC next week.

Maybe, but people are still waiting on launch day orders, I don't think they're at a point I'd want to report them with catching up.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I must be getting old because I have absolutely no interest in the Apple watch. Heck, I started with Apple products in 1983 but this is the first item that doesn't interest me yet. Maybe the next version ~:confused:

Sidebar: Now the new MacBook that I just received (1,3hz 500ssd) is very cool indeed!

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
More like, the apple car lasts 20 years, and the PC car keeps breaking down and the stealership down the street will charge you massive amounts of money replacing random things and not fixing the problem.

Problem is, cars already last 20 years. Not a USP for Apple.

----------

Misleading headline.

At no point did Williams say that Apple Watch sales were fantastic. He said that Apple had sold a lot of them, which is as transparent as Amazon is about their sales figures of the Kindle.

When you compare his language to the type Apple use when they really have sold lots of a product, he sounds very guarded. I think sales of the watch have been modest, or 'smooth' as Samsung might say.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What does that have to do with anything? The cartoon wasn't about upgrading, it was about repairing. A more apt description would have been the apple guy jsut calling apple and having his item taken care of while the OEM of the windows machine jumped through hoops to jerk him around.

What's the aftermarket like on Mercedes or BMW parts, and what percentage of their market is upgrading them? Like I said, My ford truck doesn't have a Transmission fluid dipstick already, the chassis and bearings on my last 2 trucks have been sealed for dealer service only, no grease fittings.

I am going to replace a laptop in a few years anyway, what are you upgrading in yours? My new windows machine I threw an SSD in but then I paid $900 for it, had I bought a 2k laptop I would be replacing it before anything needed upgraded. The retina pro is the only Macbook that can't be upgraded to my knowledge, and it's because the hard drives aren't available, previous ones could be, and the aftermarket ones will be out eventually. Oh, and what's the resale on the super upgradable windows machine? I got a few hundred dollars less than I paid for my wife's Air, I'd be lucky to get $100 for a similar windows machine.

You apple haters are as bad as the fanboys.

So you do not realise that upgradable = repairable?

When all the components are soldered on, it's not repairable !

Apple hater, lolz, I've owned apple computers for over 25 years, and one thing I loved about them was the ability to upgrade.

This is a waste of time, but in my opinion that image summaries the current state of affairs where apple has removed the ability repair/upgrade components .

What year/model is your ford truck ? Happy to help you out ...

Applefanhater

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
So you do not realise that upgradable = repairable?

When all the components are soldered on, it's not repairable !

Apple hater, lolz, I've owned apple computers for over 25 years, and one thing I loved about them was the ability to upgrade.

This is a waste of time, but in my opinion that image summaries the current state of affairs where apple has removed the ability repair/upgrade components .

What year/model is your ford truck ? Happy to help you out ...

They're repairable if you know how to solder, not exactly rocket science. My Colorado was an 06 with no chassis grease fittings, and my F150 is a 12, to check the tranny fluid (don't even get me started on having to get an automatic, you want to talk no choice) you have to drop the pan.

Like I said though, there is no reason to upgrade a laptop, they are a disposable product. Same with an allinone, and for what you're paying for a mac, a comparable windows machine wouldn't be needing the meager upgrades you can perform on one done before replacement anyway. The fact that I don't have to screw around with my mother or wife's machines anymore is a fair trade off for the lack of upgrades neither of them would benefit from anyway. The upgradablilty is really a weak argument IMO. Even a worse one than the "apple tax" argument.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If i didn't know any better, i could have over-looked this guy would have been a young Tim Cook.. I bet if u put these two side-by-side, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart, apart from their age.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Hoping native apps means usable apps. The lag on startup makes quite a few almost pointless...

Yeah. I thought the USP of smart watches was a quick glance to save you retrieving your phone? ... LOL...

>_<

ghostwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Rocky Mountains U.S.A.
Numbers...

Apple has people focused on "numbers" like any other company. Metrics are your measure of success. Apple doesn't want competitors to know what those metrics look like at this early stage.

What we do know is seeing an Apple Watch in the wild remains a somewhat rare event, unless you walk into an Apple store. 'Sales' is one metric, 'shipped' is another and we all know the 'shipped' side is a story Apple doesn't wish to talk about right now because its not the best story to tell about the watch.

The launch of Apple Watch is extremely limited when compared to any other Apple product. No reason to be public with metrics at this stage, especially if those numbers could be misunderstood without understanding the context. So its best to be vague and use cool, uplifting words such as "fantastic".

choplifter

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
They're repairable if you know how to solder, not exactly rocket science. My Colorado was an 06 with no chassis grease fittings, and my F150 is a 12, to check the tranny fluid (don't even get me started on having to get an automatic, you want to talk no choice) you have to drop the pan.

Like I said though, there is no reason to upgrade a laptop, they are a disposable product. Same with an allinone, and for what you're paying for a mac, a comparable windows machine wouldn't be needing the meager upgrades you can perform on one done before replacement anyway. The fact that I don't have to screw around with my mother or wife's machines anymore is a fair trade off for the lack of upgrades neither of them would benefit from anyway. The upgradablilty is really a weak argument IMO. Even a worse one than the "apple tax" argument.

Really!?! There's no reason to upgrade the ram or the hard drive in a laptop? You can't think of a reason for someone to upgrade a component in their laptop rather than replace the entire thing? Wow.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They are deliberately being opaque about it because they had already said they didn't want to disclose sales data on the Apple Watch for competitive reasons. We'll get some idea in July when we see how "Other" sales compare to last quarter.

I wonder what their competitive reasons are for not giving watch sales numbers? Because they sold too many and don't want to embarrass the competition, or because they didn't sell as many as they wanted to and don't want to embarrass themselves?

Applefanhater

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
Really!?! There's no reason to upgrade the ram or the hard drive in a laptop? You can't think of a reason for someone to upgrade a component in their laptop rather than replace the entire thing? Wow.

Hard drive maybe, RAM, not really Most people don't need more than 4 and 8 is overkill for the majority of users. And outside of apple machines, I've never needed to upgrade a HDD, most laptops come with 1 TB already, I never fill that up even with all the games I never play, which isn't exactly a problem for Macs.

The Macbooks HDD is upgradable, you just have to find one, I'd suggest ebay.

My laptop starts getting behind the times it's because of Processor speed and graphics capability, not many laptops are upgradable on that front anyway. And really, if you're spending $1200 on a laptop, just spend the extra $180 on more ram or else be a cheapskate and buy a dell.

Oh wait, let me guess, you order a BMW with manual windows and delete radio too so you can pick up a sanyo at radio shack right?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Predictions and observations ... iOS 8.3 had the watch extensions back engineering into it with limited APIs due to security issues.

When iOS 9 and the Rootless security is in, the wireless sandboxing between the watch and the iPhone is complete. With that we will see in the updated WatchKit API:

* Quartz 2D engine for animation other than "flip box"
* Limited 3D rendering
* Two way audio streaming
* One way video streaming
* Watch motion access
* Watch face API for custom watch faces (including a new store category)
* The "secret port" on the Watch opens up for MFi developers for smart bands

Also, for both the watch and iPhone, the NXP NFC chip opens up with an API for third party apps to exchange data between devices and other MFi approved NFC devices.

Big surprise -- Apple buys Pebble for their patent suite and sells off their hardware business to one of the four dragons.

Last edited:

wordup60

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
When pressed for details on Apple Watch sales numbers, Williams said that Apple would "rather spend time making great products" than focusing on the numbers

God I hate these stupid false dichotomies that politicians always trot out. "We don't comment on the polls, we spend our time delivering good government". Who says you can't do both? Would releasing sales figures divert resources from design or manufacturing? Sheesh!

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

Exactly.

The days of people building their own PCs are over. These people have grown up and able to afford better product that will work and save them time. They don't have time to tinker around a box anymore. They have more important things to do then trying to find ways to upgrade an old pc. The new kids are all about playing games and hacking software. The number of people who are still playing around with hardware is not enough to justify upgradability in a machine that will grow old pretty fast.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
I wonder what their competitive reasons are for not giving watch sales numbers? Because they sold too many and don't want to embarrass the competition, or because they didn't sell as many as they wanted to and don't want to embarrass themselves?

Or because they want to release the number during the WWDC keynote.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Or because they want to release the number during the WWDC keynote.

During the company’s earnings call, Apple announced that it was going to make some changes to the way it breaks down product sales in future.

Instead of detailing individual unit sales for Apple TV, iPods and the upcoming Apple Watch, the company will group these devices into one “Other” category. While this represents a drastic demise for the iPod, once Apple’s flagship consumer electronic device, it is also highly interesting that Apple is opting not to disclose individual sales figures for Apple Watch.

So that's not happening either.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011

The whole narrative is being managed to maintain the growth story and hence the stock valuation. This is why we are teased with unicorn BS like the TV and the car -- they evoke images of huge markets and growth. The moment Apple loses its fairytale status, AAPL shares will take a hit, and we can't have any of that:

"Cook’s stock grants will be measured against a 3-year average of Apple versus the S&P 500. Each year he’ll get a grant of stock dependent upon that rolling 3 year performance. In the end, after the vesting period is complete, Tim Cook’s stock compensation will have been significantly tied to the performance of the stock over about an 8-year period."
From: http://www.imore.com/tim-cooks-new-compensation-plan-bets-long-aapl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.