Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
puckhead193 said:
my question is, in the link, whats that on his keyboard....i hope its water.. :eek: ;)

it doesn't look like egg as the title says....
That would be a melted spoon from the heat released by the overheating Powerbook ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jcshas said:
I wonder if this was called off at the last minute because of the terrorist bombings in London. Would you really want to launch a product when the attention of the entire world is focused on something far more important?

If that were the case Apple would have made some sort of statement to that effect (Apple spokesperson: "We are concerned, as is the world, at the events in the city of London this morning. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those that were effected by the tragedy. For that reason we will postpone the media event scheduled for this morning till a time that will be announced later.")

I think that there maybe other issues. On the iPhone front only Cingulair had been mentioned as partner in the rumors. Failed to see mention of a major European carrier (though to be honest I was only looking to see if Sprint was mentioned. :D ). With other products, there may have been issues that they wanted to address. With the switch to Intel next year, Apple needs to put the best foot forward. The anticipated announcement of the new dual-core chips may have been the straw that broke the camels back for the "event".

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
I think they didn't want a repeat of after 9/11 when they released the original iPod.

It completely fell under the media radar, but they possibly also didn't want to be seen as "giving in" to terrorist pressures?

Or the IBM announcement is what **** in their tree - seems as though IBM wanted to spoil their fun, and the whole london thing just added to the fact.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
From what I understood, it was only members of the press in France that were invited to this event thingy to begin with. Is that correct? If this was originally intended to be a major new product announcement, wouldn't people from other countries have been invited too?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Machead III said:
Most likely due to the attacks here in London.

Appleinsider reported on 6 July that there would be no new announcements at this event.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
jcshas said:
I wonder if this was called off at the last minute because of the terrorist bombings in London. Would you really want to launch a product when the attention of the entire world is focused on something far more important?
That was my initial thought, too. It would certainly make sense. But then I started reading the thread, and saw Dr. Dastardly mention the event had actually been cancelled the day before – which indicates the cancellation was nothing to do with the events in London. Curious...

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Lame either way.

I guess we have to wait even longer for technology that's been out for quite a while to make it into new macs. I would love for Apple to come out with a DVD burning drive that does it all AND prints on discs--that would be dope...maybe iTunes 5 will have this feature embedded into its disc-burning?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I remember reading, I don't know where, that this was just going to be a event for the press to know the new iPods a little bit better. I would assume that the American press would get a quicker look and idea of the newly updated iPods than other press, but that's just my idea. Other than that, there wasn't anything else to be made out of this event.

Chris1127

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
Jackson, MS
Loge said:
Appleinsider reported on 6 July that there would be no new announcements at this event.

AH HA!!!

So AppleInsider had advance knowledge of the attacks in Londonbut didn't tell anyone???

</art bell-like consipiracy theory>

:rolleyes:

Marianco

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
Apple: Sell UNLOCKED iTunes Phones!

Apple's iTunes phone does not need to have a wireless carrier's approval for it to work as long as it is a GSM phone (the ones with SIM cards).

All Apple has to do is to sell UNLOCKED versions of the iTunes phone (just as third parties do on eBay). This allows the phone to work with ANY carrier that uses GSM (essentially all of them!).

Then all the user has to do is place the SIM card of their existing phone into the iTunes phone. Then viola! It works! An unlocked phone is one which is not given a password which forces it to work only with a single wireless carrier.

Note that I am assuming that the user wants to download their music on iTunes then upload it into the iTunes phone via bluetooth or USB, rather than wanting to download music via wireless service.

Note that the most important thing is the users can use the iTunes phone irrespective of the wireless carrier's consent or not - so long as it is a GSM phone.

Macrumors said:

MacBidouille provides some photos from a July 7th media gathering dedicated to the iPod.

The "event" was first noted on June 26th which sparked speculation about iTunes Phone releases for this week, but turned out to be a non-event.

Besides a few photos, there is no real information about the purpose of the gathering. MacBidouille speculates that the iTunes phone announcement was the original purpose but it was delayed for unclear reasons.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Did anybody notice this
[UPD] We removed the Pictures and the news of the July 7th media gathering due to Apple Request
on the MacBidouille website?

It's strange that Apple would request that pictures of an event that didn't happen, or didn't reveal any upcoming annoucments be removed from a site they don't control?? :cool:

Methinks something is up! Wether it's the iTunes phone or not; is probably something big.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Raid said:
Did anybody notice this on the MacBidouille website?

It's strange that Apple would request that pictures of an event that didn't happen, or didn't reveal any upcoming annoucments be removed from a site they don't control?? :cool:

Methinks something is up! Wether it's the iTunes phone or not; is probably something big.

Or, more likely, it's nothing.

Go home kids, nothing to see here, my guess is we'll have to wait until the abismal Motorola and Cingular get off their arses before the iPod Phone shows face.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The pulled photos have faces, the ones that stayed up don't. It was probably a privacy thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.