Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Has anyone looked closely at the watch on june 30th 23:59:60? Was there a leap second?

If not... ouch. "Very" precise.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I was one of the biggest proponents of smartwatches (check my post history) and the Apple Watch in particular. I bought one in May and I'd say that I couldn't do without it. I'd use the fitness tracking features. Going out for a run? Make sure my Apple Watch knows! A long walk? Same. Double tapped the side button to use it for Apple Pay wherever I could.

Then after several months, the newness wore off (and so did the incentive to use it at any possible opportunity) and I realized I was barely using any of the features.

OS 2 didn't really do much for me. I can't remember the last time I used any app or even Apple Pay with the watch. It essentially became just a digital watch, one which I'd frequently forget to charge (it lasts almost two days for me so I don't charge it every night) and so I'd have to press the button and wait a few seconds just to see the time.

And now over the past month I've barely worn it. And to be honest I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much. I talked it up to some distant family while wearing it over Christmas, but I guess I didn't really wanna say "yeah it's pretty unimportant to my life and I barely use it". I have a conflict of interest in that I'm heavily invested in AAPL, and with the drop from 130 to 105 lately I'm starting to worry. I'll hold for now but I fear I may regret it. I think I got too caught up in the new technology and the hype.

I guess smartwatches and wearables are the future. I just don't know if we're close right now, or if the Watch is heading in the right direction. It tries to do so much but it doesn't really do any of it that well. I used Apple Pay with my phone today, it wasn't really any slower.

Feel free to change my view guys.

federico0212

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Awful lot of ******** to cover the fact that

a) The watch has to sync with a phone anyway

b) Phones have been time syncing to the cell network for ages

c) Everybody's computer (any OS) has been syncing with NTP pretty much since they were connected to the internet.

Fantastic innovation work there Apple. Unless you want us to congratulate you on over-engineering the crystal.

In the meantime, my actual, regular non-smart watch actually uses GPS signals and radio signals from the atomic clock to automatically know where it is, what time zone it's in, and sync to an accurate time. By itself.

And it's solar powered. And it permanently tells the time, it doesn't have to shut off to conserve an insufficient battery life.

Basically, my actual, functional watch is significantly better and smarter than your "smart" watch.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You clearly don't work in IT.

Everyone's computer checks NTP EVERY NOW AND THEN.
Windows is especially famous for only syncing on key dates, if not you have to make it check now.
OS X checks daily, not constantly. My Mac has sped itself up. I open system preferences and it resets, to match my watch which is always on the spot.

It's definitely not smarter. Be proud of your GPS watch, but it can't do more. While you're convinced the aWatch isn't more special than a computer sync (it is), your only remaining argument is that it needs the phone to sync.
Yes, and who doesn't have their phone next to it when it charges?

You're just looking for something to argue.

Last edited by a moderator:

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
That's nice, yet it takes 7 or 8 seconds for the fitness app to load. Perhaps App speed should have been more of a focus then this ridiculous stuff. Talk about having priorities screwed up.

Reactions: mrxak and pentrix2

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Lovely feature, but I am more curious how many people bought their Apple watch as a super accurate watch (I am sure someone will not quote me that the watch is the NUMBER ONE FEATURE they use and that I am wrong lol). I am willing to bet that most people that wear watches are happy to just set their watch manually (most assuredly not within 50ms of the world standard) and carry on with their lives.

Reactions: mrxak

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks to Apple for again bringing not so well known tech concepts to the knowledge of the general public. Their efforts at communicating with their customers is one of the things that sets them apart. I personally found this information interesting.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
You found imprecise Quartz watches ?

Yes. In theory, they are accurate. In practice, I was frequently forced to fumble through obscure UIs to adjust time. Same goes for every change in time zones.

The old days... I won't miss them.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Where did anyone claim that it is? You did not accurately read the story and are making incorrect inferences.
Right here :
Apple's NTP servers make sure iPhones and Apple Watches keep time at "Stratum One" accuracy, within milliseconds of "Stratum Zero" devices.

Plus, that's plainly wrong. If what they say is true, then :
- The military server is Stratum 0
- Apple's NTP server are Stratum 1
- iPhones are Stratum 2 and sync the time to the watch (which thus is a bit off since bluetooth connection).

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
With New Year's Eve approaching, Lynch says Apple Watch owners will have the most accurate watches in the room. "If you're in a room on New Year's Eve wearing one, you will be the best reference for when the New Year actually begins," he said.

Who's Apple Watch would even last from morning to New Year's?

hwmillerster

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Springfield, MO
Lmao, and dependent on if the battery is still good by the time it hits midnight.
At a bare minimum, a watch or clock should keep accurate time. The WWVH-radio clocks and watches are within 200 milliseconds of Universal Time every day. However, my watch won't need a battery for at least five years. Fix the problem with the battery I might consider an Apple Watch.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I was one of the biggest proponents of smartwatches (check my post history) and the Apple Watch in particular. I bought one in May and I'd say that I couldn't do without it. I'd use the fitness tracking features. Going out for a run? Make sure my Apple Watch knows! A long walk? Same. Double tapped the side button to use it for Apple Pay wherever I could.

Then after several months, the newness wore off (and so did the incentive to use it at any possible opportunity) and I realized I was barely using any of the features.

OS 2 didn't really do much for me. I can't remember the last time I used any app or even Apple Pay with the watch. It essentially became just a digital watch, one which I'd frequently forget to charge (it lasts almost two days for me so I don't charge it every night) and so I'd have to press the button and wait a few seconds just to see the time.

And now over the past month I've barely worn it. And to be honest I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much. I talked it up to some distant family while wearing it over Christmas, but I guess I didn't really wanna say "yeah it's pretty unimportant to my life and I barely use it". I have a conflict of interest in that I'm heavily invested in AAPL, and with the drop from 130 to 105 lately I'm starting to worry. I'll hold for now but I fear I may regret it. I think I got too caught up in the new technology and the hype.

I guess smartwatches and wearables are the future. I just don't know if we're close right now, or if the Watch is heading in the right direction. It tries to do so much but it doesn't really do any of it that well. I used Apple Pay with my phone today, it wasn't really any slower.

Feel free to change my view guys.

So for you, using the Apple Watch was like people joining Weight Watchers on the first of the year: Uplifting for a short time and then quickly forgotten.

Reactions: pentrix2

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yes. In theory, they are accurate. In practice, I was frequently forced to fumble through obscure UIs to adjust time. Same goes for every change in time zones.

The old days... I won't miss them.

Fair enough . I love mechanical watches and my iPhone tells me the exact time when I need to adjust em

Reactions: mrxak

kdarling

macrumors P6
Where did anyone claim that it is? You did not accurately read the story and are making incorrect inferences.

What other inference could be made? The lead article stated:
Apple's NTP servers make sure iPhones and Apple Watches keep time at "Stratum One" accuracy, within milliseconds of "Stratum Zero" devices.

That makes it sound as if iPhones and Apple Watches kept time at "Stratum One" accuracy, which means they would be just microseconds (not milliseconds) from the true time held by a Stratum Zero device. Pretty much impossible.

Perhaps some of the mistakes are typos on MacRumor's part? Perhaps they actually meant to say that iPhones are within milliseconds of the Stratum One time, which itself is within microseconds of Stratum Zero.

Last edited:

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I need my watch to (a) correct for relativistic effects of my movement, and (b) take into account the time it takes for the light to travel from the watch face to my eyes, adjust automatically based on the distance between the two, and the time it takes the signal to travel from my eyes to my brain. Time must not be just precise, it needs to be precise as to exactly when I perceive it. Also make it thinner.
Thank you.

Reactions: CarlJ

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Meh, it's nothing special... My nearly 10 year old Casio Waveceptor (my everyday watch before the Apple Watch), just sits around and keeps accurate time (it auto adjusts too).

Time is identical vs Apple Watch.
accurate.jpg

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I don't want a “smart watch.” I want a digital watch with a nice, high-resolution, raster graphics display that is ROUND like a watch should be. I have no interest whatsoever in any smart-watch features. I just want to be able to change the watch faces on occasion and maybe get the weather or take a phone call.

In terms of taking a phone call, I want to be able to place my fingertip against my ear and have the sound vibrations go through my wrist/hand/finger to my ear. (I believe this is existing technology that has already been done before in labs, and would not be difficult for Apple to implement.)

Ever try to fit a rectangular peg in a round hole? Yep, the hole has to have a greater diameter than the diagonal dimension of the rectangle. So, to display a rectangular photo or document, either the image/text is smaller to fit within the dimensions of a round watch of reasonably sane diameter, or the round watch face needs to be ridiculously large.

If "simulation of analog watch" is the top priority, then by all means, let's have a circle. If using the display for apps, text, and images is a priority, then gimme a rectangle any day. I choose the latter. If you'd prefer the former, there are companies making just what you want, too.

And for a pure flight of rationalization...

The round analog watch face evokes the round gears and coiled mainspring within. The circular arrangement of the dial markings is highly effective when you have indicator needles rotating from a central point - perfect form-follows-function. Even so, I have my grandfather's rectangular, wind-up, Hamilton wrist watch - a classic!

On the other hand, digital displays are rectilinear, x-y coordinate grids, Digital timing signals are square waves... A rectangular case is both more efficient and more closely evokes the digital environment, the chips within, etc.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Okay, you're wrong. You assertion is based on misunderstanding the difference between a GPS satellite and an NTP server.

Your Apple Watch syncs with your iPhone, which syncs with Apple's collection of NTP servers, which sync with the military's GPS satellites (and likely with each other).

*: (Among other things, when NTP servers/clients discover that their notion of the time is slightly off, they don't "reset" to the right time, like you would a clock, instead they temporarily very slightly adjust the length of a second

Great explanation, thanks. What would cause an NTP server to slightly lose track of time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.