Apple's Last 17-Inch MacBook Pro Set to Become Obsolete

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2017.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

There is no "professional" market. Apple hasn't thought of the "Pro" as being for professionals in almost a decade. You are not a special snowflake and they won't make a special model for you and the handful of "professionals" that don't sell. Why do you think the 17" got discontinued? It didn't sell.

2. HippyRabbitFish, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

I would like to highlight a distinction... you say it didn't sell. You mean it didn't sell well enough for Apple to justify keeping that product. If it doesn't sell, why are other companies currently selling a 17" model? Is there a market for them? There must be for someone to be successfully selling them today, even if the volume is low. Clearly, even with failing GPUs in the 2011 17" models, the fact that a 2011 notebook is still relevant in today's conversation about creative work is a testimony to the longevity of Apple products in general, and the 17" MBPs, in particular.

Apple may be making the business decision to take low margin sales profits and redirecting them to a venture that is more likely to generate explosive growth than a known niche market to which some of us admit to belonging.

No one is trying to say they are a "special snowflake". Some are simply stating their desire for an Apple product that used to exist, that would still sell, if Apple chose to create it. I'm sure the price tag would be a down payment on a new car or enough to by a good used car or several clunkers.

3. Darren Beauchamp macrumors newbie

Darren Beauchamp

Such a shame that Apple does not simply discontinue a product, but has to brand it as obsolete...
    I love my MBP 17", it has been everything I need for years.
    It's true, it went through SSD and memory upgrade, and I do some occasional cleaning with MacFly Pro (used to be OnyX before) to keep it fast, but in no way is it "obsolete", thank you very much. I wouldn't trade it for anything that it is available at the moment.

4. MichaelD. macrumors newbie

My 17inch Mac Pro has been the best computer I have owned. I lik the bigger screen for doing presentations, I hope they decide to bring a 17 inch model back

5. wtsitmn macrumors newbie

wtsitmn

I read an article which claimed Apple surveyed owners of large notebooks. They discovered such people commonly used them as desktop computers. Hence Apple would make more money by discontinuing large notebooks, so such customers would instead have to purchase large desktop iMacs.

The new butterfly keyboard Apple is now using in their MacBooks won't last nearly as long as the previous design because the new keys rely on a single piece of flexible plastic rather than two separate hinged parts. So it's not only cheaper to manufacture, but will also become obsolete sooner. (Obsolete, as in worn out and broken—go buy a new MacBook.)

Old MacBooks came with instructions on how to change the hard drive and memory. I suspect many users did what I did: Bought minimal memory and hard drives, then upgraded them after purchase with non-Apple components. Not only saving money, but creating spare parts to use in the event of failure. Apple of course did away with this to maximize profits. My old MacBook Pro 17" now has 16GB of memory, 1TB SSD, Bluetooth 4.0, and more. Tim Cook recently stated the average lifespan of a computer was less than 5 years. I see little benefit in replacing my old "obsolete" computer, and many downsides to doing so. Of course Tim Cook also declared the personal computer dead back in 2015. I plan to keep mine another 5-10 years or more, thanks.

6. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

I gave up on trying finding a MacBookPro8,3 17" grade b reasonably priced around $700 so I had to opt for a MacBookPro9,1 15" i7 2.6 mid 2012 that was grade a/b for a little less money.
    I couldn't be pleased more with the performance and features. The 2 USB 3 ports make up for the one thunderbolt port found in the 8,3 model with USB 2.
    Too bad it wasn't 1920x1080 though.
    I looked at other models beyond the 9,1 but they didn't offer the ports and future expandability I wanted. This model was a good compromise from the 17" model.

7. MichaelD. macrumors newbie

I have been so happy with my MacBook that I don't want to replace it. I have noticed it's starting to show its age speed wise. I'm embarrassed to admit I never considered upgrading it, I guess Monday I'm off to get some RAM and SSD's.

8. bobbydaz macrumors regular

Don’t understand this romanticising over old tech. I had a 2010 17 inch that served me well. Upgraded to SSD helped but it was just becoming too slow for my line of work so had to go. Replaced with a 2017 mbp I don’t miss it at all, the two machines are worlds apart performance wise. All depends on what your needs are, but I get the feeling a lot of users are stubborn and won’t upgrade or change their computers whatever. If you’ve had a 17” for over 6 years you’ve enjoyed pretty good value for money. Apple can’t suport these old models indefinitely.

9. MichaelD. macrumors newbie

I think there is two things that keep me from wanting to upgrade to a new machine. First, over the last several years the MacBooks have improved massively but the extra power hasn't been needed. Secondly, since the MacBooks components and features are improving so much it pays to weight as long as possible to get the improvements.

10. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Those old machines were built like tanks. Really, they were. I once got a 13" 2012 unibody that got run over by a fork lift. It was bent in the middle quite badly. Body was trash but luckily the bend went around the logic board. Popped it out along with the battery, put into a new body and voila! That thing ran smoothly with no issues! Try doing this with a Retina, I dare you.

The first gen Retinas are much more fragile. They have crappy peeling screens that are just tender in general, the dent and scuff much more easily. But at least they were somewhat upgradable when it came to SSD. But nooooo, the new ones are completely untouchable. Can't upgrade or disassemble it easily. And they made them thinner for whom? Were people complaining about first gen Retina size? Anyone? They're the ultimate throw-away system now. I have a feeling it's on par with Tim Cook's vision of things and I sincerely hope they let him go sometimes soon. I like my laptops being laptops not fancy iPads!

11. Macyourdayy, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

Macyourdayy macrumors 6502

Macyourdayy

The 2010s were no match for the 2011s, what with i7s and 6GBit drive buses. The only problem with the unibody design was that all the ports were crammed together. No worries about that with the 2016/17s and 3 available ports that never connect reliably to expensive or non existent products. Just be careful you don't yank it all on the floor with it's pre 2006 plug in power cord while you're trying to feed in enough power to run mail, mds processes and runaway web pages. Don't forget the crappy keyboards that stick after they spot dust in the other room.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    And I won't trade either for a glorified MacBook with bs battery life claims, although I keep thinking I need to get one of the late 2015s and run it in "more space" mode because the screens are so good and it can run a 5K display as well.
    I do love how I can cram in 4GB of SSD now and whatever is available later though, so I guess I'll keep it.

12. DJLAXL macrumors 6502a

DJLAXL

I just sold mine two weeks ago. Still got $650 for it. I do miss it very much though.

13. mobimation2, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

mobimation2 macrumors newbie

mobimation2

Just because they are not supported by official Apple repair does not mean they will suddenly stop working.
    I could stock up with 17 inch MBPs to last a lifetime if I needed. Part from the graphics chip recall debacle (Apple replaced my motherboard for free) there has been no issues that require Apple repair attention of my late 2011 unit. I use it professionally every day and it is a joy.

Just let a new 17 inch come out soon. Apple needs the spectacular. The 13 and 15 inch are getting thinner by the day and the subjective experience is they have been shrinking. So while the 17 inch unibody is admittedly some mass to bring along it is evident that today´s build standards could accomplish a 17 inch that is a jaw dropping magnification of the smaller siblings. But still much more mobile than the Unibody predecessor. It is the right thing to do.

14. wayoutwest5505 macrumors member

wayoutwest5505

Love my 17 in.. 16 Gigs, 1TB SSD drive, anti glare. Fast and lots of real estate. Used with Logic X = It even has a DVD drive, Wow, How nifty.

15. Applelad macrumors member

I'm in the same boat - absolutely love mine. I have a USB3 in the express bay and a couple of SSD's - doesn't get any better - unless that is they bring a new one out which would be magnificent. If, as you say, they could bring the weight a chunk down then I think it would be a winner with every single creative mac user. The only thing that put people off the one we have is it was just a couple of pounds too heavy.

16. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Ditto that.

17. theluggage macrumors 68040

Do you have a USB3 expresscard that works with Sierra and above?
    I had a Caldigit one, but it wasn't supported beyond El Cap. :-(

18. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

A gorgeous machine with killer specifications the likes that can never be replicated with the modern MacBook Pro.

19. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Doubtless designed by an unnamed engineer in Apple who has long since departed.

20. tresmith macrumors 6502

Amen to that.

I've been thinking the same thing for some time as well. Apple could increase the screen size, shrink the bezels and the laptops would essentially have the same footprint.

Alas thinking like that and innovation at Apple got buried along with Steve Jobs.

21. liberte1776 macrumors regular

This article is WRONG, the last 17" MBP Apple made was late 2011! I know, I own one! *rolls eyes*

22. ChinkyBob macrumors regular

ChinkyBob

1920x1200 on a 16:10 17" screen I think is perfection. I sold my 2011 17 MBP 3 yrs ago and was the biggest mistake I ever made.
    I bought a 2nd hand dell precision m6500 with 17" 16:10 1920x1200 screen and that was a great computer too, loved that till it gave up the ghost.

Bring back the 17" !

23. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I loved my PB 17 from 2003

I'd strongly consider a 17" again today if they made new ones as I've gone away from my desk/hack lifestyle but still love a big screen setup as it's my primary machine.

24. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

Indeed if you want the 1920x1200 effective resolution a 15 inch MBP is too small for it to be comfortable really. I think there could still be a market for a uniquely large and powerful desktop replacement mac. A laptop form factor saves space and is useful if you need to move around occasionally, even if you aren't going to be doing it a lot.

25. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

It's getting to the point where I wish Apple would just license MacOS to a select vendor or 2, maybe if only for specific machines sizes/classes or something.

Everything they make seems to have to be a fashion item now..