Apple's Last 17-Inch MacBook Pro Set to Become Obsolete

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2017.

1. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

I don't understand this comment

2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I don't really like the MBP 2016 at all, but my MBP Mid-2010 13" 2.4ghz lasts me the school day. And I use Windows Bootcamp a bit, Photoshop is a class so definitely use that, Premier sometimes, Canopy(coding program for python), Slack, and Safari with few tabs opened, I use Word/ PowerPoint sometimes as well. I usually end the day with 20-40 percent :D

I dont like the USB C craze from Apple either, it's a Pro computer, you need to include Legacy ports too. Not every professional has the latest and greatest hardware. The biggest loss is probably the SD Card slot, what photograph wants to carry an adapter when you could get a 2015 MBP with that built in:rolleyes:. Apple needs to redeem themselves.

3. Xavier macrumors 68030

Still have my 17" MacBook Pro 2007 and it runs! Not very fast anymore, but still working!

4. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

Why do you think it would be a good idea to cut the 13" MBP? What about people who want a decent amount of computing power and don't need/want a larger screen and don't want to pay the $1000 Apple markup on a 15"?

The problem is that Apple is turning the entire so-called "pro" line into cheap netbooks, getting rid of the 13" pro and saying just buy a cheap netbook is not the answer.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

So basically you never actually used the "sad excuse" you're referring to...

The fact that I can run Houdini's sand solvers in almost real time on a laptop means they're far from a "sad excuse".

6. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

In my idillic world the 13" Macbook would be identical to the current 13" Macbook Pro, and the 15" and 17" Macbook Pros would be way more "Pro" than the current 15" Macbook Pro. I go back on my idea to remove the air. The current Macbook 12" would be called the Macbook Air and have an 11" screen.

7. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

I agree with everything you said except that I'd also have a 13" Pro version of your 15 and 17" versions. Why not have a 13" Macbook and a 13" Macbook Pro?

8. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

I think it looks cleaner. The pro models would be the more premium ones that the average person wouldn't need. And I'm pretty sure that the 13" model is far more popular a size

9. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

The assumptions are strong with this one.

I've been begrudgingly using it since January. By far the lamest MacBook Pro I've ever owned (and I've owned pretty much all of them).

The fact that After Effects gives me beachballs and RAM alerts even when editing in quarter resolution, editing 4K streams on FCPX drops frames all the time, Sketch routinely slows down or crashes entirely etc. tells me performance is not exactly stellar. Add to that the total dongle inconvenience, useless Touchbar, anaemic battery, mistakes due to the jumbo trackpad and keyboard learning curve, lack of MagSafe etc and you've got yourself a winner (#not).

On the upside: the screen is great and so is the audiojack output (cough audiojackisnotdeadyet cough)

10. teezy macrumors regular

teezy

Never had one but always wanted one! Ended up getting a maxed-out pre-retina 13" in 2012 and a maxed-out retina 15" in 2016 (not the "new" MBP)

Fairwell, OG17!

11. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

And here I am still using my mid 2008 MacBook...

Its archaic but I am surprised it still works for almost everything

12. laimis17, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

laimis17 macrumors newbie

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 21.12.28.jpg
    There's no mentioning about Late 2011 MBP 17.
    Still wondering why... Maybe it's not deprecated after all :)

Just look at these specs!
    Not to mention i'm able to connect 2x 4k directly to it.

I want MBP 17-inch-sh version back!

13. RandomDSdevel macrumors member

I'm still running on my family's mid- or late-2007 aluminum iMac off of an external boot drive (everybody else's stuff's on the internal HDD,) and have slowly been gathering funds for a new machine I can keep entirely to myself for a little while (modulo some other expenses that have come up, of course.) I'd be perfectly fine with getting one of the 15-inch instances of the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID that came out October of last year to use as a developer-in-training, but I'd definitely have to get an external monitor for it as well to accommodate my low vision and yearning for more screen real estate, not to mention something like the Sonnet Echo 15+ port extender or OWC's (relatively) new DEC to compensate for the machine's lack of useful ports. A 17-inch model would suit my needs much better, though it probably still wouldn't have enough ports built in for my liking. In an ideal world, I'd stuff the thing with 32 GiB of RAM and as much solid-state storage as it could hold, but…well, those other expenses have left me somewhat dry at the moment, though my bank account is recovering, thankfully. (Maybe Apple will expand their offerings in terms of monthly installment payment plans beyond their iOS devices? That would be nice…)

14. Macyourdayy macrumors 6502

Macyourdayy

My late 2011 was a dog in it's original configuration. As the HD only scored 40ish MB read and 50ish write, I suspect it was faulty, but passed hardware tests. Now with a Sandisk Ultra II as the boot drive and 16GB ram, it performs as expected - fast. The other HD, a WD 1TB, reports around 90MB read/write. Geekbench reports over 10000 (with mulitple apps running and memory full). I've played with 10.10 and 10.11 installs on it and didn't notice much difference in performance, but you might like to chance it with a 2011 model with the i series boards and remeber the 17" still has the express card slot. Apart from the poor performance before upgrades, no faults have yet appeared, and all my other ones had major to minor issues that were repaired under warranty.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2017 ---
    Two 4K displays??? How, and what res are the monitors actually running? Maybe I don't have to settle for a 2015 version.

15. olduser007 macrumors newbie

I really REALLY like my MBP 17"
    I really REALLY dislike what Apple did afterwards.

Here's what most video professionals do not care about:
    - SIZE
    - WEIGHT
    - PRICE

Here's what most professionals do care about:
    - The faster the better.
    - The more ports the better.
    - As much power as possible.
    - Storage, storage, storage.
    - Long battery life and or being able to switch them.
    - Smaller screens are not preferred over larger screen on a workstation (laptop or desktop).
    - Being able to repair or upgrade the computers they work on.

It's absolutely clear for me that Apple isn't doing its best at keeping the professional market happy.
    Apple turned into every other company who's main market is the consumers.
    Maybe that was always the case and I was living in a bubble thinking otherwise.
    Not only are the computers lacking the specs but also Apple's own pro apps are lacking compared to other pro apps (and I like Logic & FCP).

Just look at the newest MBP:
    - A even bigger trackpad. Nobody needed that (can't even work with the Apple pencil)
    - Touch Bar. Cute but any professional knows the key commands of the programs he's working on, and that's still a faster workflow than working with the Touch Bar.
    - RAM. Fixed and limited to 16GB
    - GPU. Give me a break
    - Ports. WTF!
    - Battery. Fixed and how many had problems again?

The new MacBook Pro is clearly not what I want or need.
    The new Mac Pro isn't as flexible as the previous model by a long shot.
    The iMacs... They're even worse than the MBP line.
    The iPad.. Still extremely limited for professional use.

I made the decision to become less and less dependent on Apple as Apple hasn't done anything fully right or listened to the pro community. It's sad but it's Apple's choice what markets they wanna support and clearly the professional market isn't that exciting for them when the size of their bankaccounts are more important.

Only thing Apple could do (and I'm not the only one speaking of this) is that Apple's divides 'professional' and 'consumer' in a more honest matter where the word 'Pro' actually means something for the professionals.

16. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

It will still be supported for software.

17. Fedor macrumors newbie

Fedor

Are you sure? We all know about the suspension support older versions of iPhone for example. Why macs should receive updates after they get to the list of obsolete?

18. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Because high Sierra isn't releasing until later and the 17" supports high sierra.

19. Fedor macrumors newbie

Fedor

Can you explain?

20. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

What is there to explain?

High Sierra releases in the fall. Which is after June 30th.

17" supports high Sierra.

21. pbarclay19 macrumors newbie

pbarclay19

The decision by Apple to make their products obsolete as they hit 6 years of age coincides with my rights as a consumer to repair of defective goods. My lovely late 2011 17" MBP had its video card repaired a couple of years ago but Apple have now made it explicitly clear that in November 2017 they will no longer liable to repair my computer.

Apple Products and Consumer Laws
    in the United Kingdom

Under consumer laws in the UK, consumers are entitled to a free of charge repair or replacement, discount or refund by the seller, of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale. For goods purchased in England or Wales, these rights expire six years from delivery of the goods and for goods purchased in Scotland, these rights expire five years from delivery of the goods.

Still, I can't complain. Before buying my Mac, I was stuck in a cycle of buying PC laptops every 3 years, all of which seemed to give up the ghost shortly after they were replaced. I had hoped to get a solid 6 years out of my MBP when I bought it in 2011 and so far that has proved to be quite accurate.

22. laimis17 macrumors newbie

Aah... Those are LG 34UC98... And yeah, both 60hz! Glad to share ;)

23. Macyourdayy macrumors 6502

Macyourdayy

Just saw the notification. Thanks a lot for that.

24. HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

For starters, the 17" MacBook Pro is still beautiful after all these years, even if the discrete GPU burns a little too hot.

I would fit the niche of one who would sign up for a modern 17" MacBook Pro as a portable desktop replacement, provided I can add/replace my own RAM, storage, and battery.

For 2011, that's a true statement, I believe.

For 2012, however, having recently purchased a certified refurbished mid-2012 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro - a model most recently sold as "New" in 2016 - within the last month with AppleCare+, support may last longer than you think for at least those non-Retina models that could be bought as late as 2016. The key question for those models - when was the 2012 model last actually manufactured? I know... separate topic, and one I may start given the popularity the user-serviceable models provided as late as... even now.

25. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    Although this 17" version had its admirers, I can understand why the pulled it. It's too big!