Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Latest macOS Big Sur Beta References Unreleased Macs

redpandadev

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I’ll personally never buy a first gen device ever again. They usually get their support dropped the fastest. iPad 1, Apple Watch Series 0 and so on
While I would normally agree, I think in this case you may be pleasantly surprised. The hardware and software stack is already very mature - this is based on chips that are already in their 14th generation (and made by Apple) and the software, while not iOS, surly borrows the experience of 14 years (ish) of software maturity.

The transition to intel was brand new for Apple - they’d never worked with Intel previously. The iPad 1 was released before the ARM hardware was moved in-house and when iOS was still relatively new. Apple Watch 0 was a shrink of 1st generation chips on a first gen software platform.

Comment

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
Man, you’re tough... but you did get an iPhone 12 without 120hz... ;);)

120hz is a must on a big screen device, I can notice a difference straight away when switching to my iPad Pro. 🥺 Touch ID hardly works for me on my MacBook Pro, need to re scan my fingerprints every month. 😡

Can see apple doing the same thing they’ve done with the iPad for the MacBook pros, release a new model, then 6 month later boom a newer model comes out. 🤦‍♂️😂

Comment

sfwalter

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
They have already release an Apple Silicon Mac mini to developers. Im sure that will be the first product to do so. Just a feeling.
I've always wanted a powerful headless Mac that I could connect my own monitor. Today's Mac Mini is a bit under powered for me (mainly because of the graphics card they use) and the Mac Pro is way too much of an overkill.

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
we all know that it will be around just one year for almost all...by the end of next year, all imacs,mac mini and laptops will be on arm....the second year is just for the mac pro
I highly doubt it - you'll be looking at the full two years for the top end iMacs, the iMac Pro, the Mac Pro being on Apple Silicon. It's a big jump from a MacBook Air like device that is very power efficient to competing with Intel's top end chips for those systems.

We're almost 100% guaranteed getting another Intel update for 16" MacBook Pro and I doubt that'll be the last Intel Mac either.

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
They have already release an Apple Silicon Mac mini to developers. Im sure that will be the first product to do so. Just a feeling.

It won't be. It's not an Apple Silicon Mac mini - it's just the Mac mini form running effectively an iPad, it's not even a processor that'll be coming out - it exists solely for one reason only - to give devs the ability to recompile apps in Xcode.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I've always wanted a powerful headless Mac that I could connect my own monitor. Today's Mac Mini is a bit under powered for me (mainly because of the graphics card they use) and the Mac Pro is way too much of an overkill.

For Halloween, I wish I had a headless Mac with two ARMs that is more powerful than a Mac Pro but for the cost of a Mac mini.

Comment

Joseph C

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2013
Psyched! Random guesses/pipedreams:

 Mac
24" ProMotion Display
New industrial design
Face ID
1080p Webcam
Backlit Magic Keyboard with Haptic Touch Bar
Magic Trackpad 3

 Mac Book
14" ProMotion Display
New industrial design
Face ID
1080p Webcam
Haptic Touch Bar
WiFi or WiFi + Cellular
LED Apple logo
MagSafe

Comment

jz0309

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
120hz is a must on a big screen device, I can notice a difference straight away when switching to my iPad Pro. 🥺 Touch ID hardly works for me on my MacBook Pro, need to re scan my fingerprints every month. 😡

Can see apple doing the same thing they’ve done with the iPad for the MacBook pros, release a new model, then 6 month later boom a newer model comes out. 🤦‍♂️😂
I have the same issue with touchid, I lick my finger prior to using it 😂😂
It looks like mbp16 might get another Intel update, AS in maybe a year... I just don’t see them doing high end macs early on

• Sad
Reactions: LFC2020
Comment

aednichols

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
REALLY hope this is a 16" refresh with the 5600M as the base model!
It seems more likely to me that Apple will want to jump on the substantially improved Radeon 6000 series GPUs announced on Tuesday.

The 5600M uses special HBM memory that is excellent for power savings but very expensive to manufacture, so much so that its price is not likely to drop to base model levels any time soon.

Comment

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
TLDR:

We still don’t know anything about the new macs.
well at a minimum, it means you should wait. Even you are not interested in new ARM Macs, you might be able to score some big discounts from retailers on the older models

Comment

richinaus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2014
It seems more likely to me that Apple will want to jump on the substantially improved Radeon 6000 series GPUs announced on Tuesday.

The 5600M uses special HBM memory that is excellent for power savings but very expensive to manufacture, so much so that its price is not likely to drop to base model levels any time soon.
This is what I would be looking for, but do these exist in a mobile format?

Hopefully though an AS macbook at 14” is released, no fans, long battery and competitive in speed.

While I would normally agree, I think in this case you may be pleasantly surprised. The hardware and software stack is already very mature - this is based on chips that are already in their 14th generation (and made by Apple) and the software, while not iOS, surly borrows the experience of 14 years (ish) of software maturity.

The transition to intel was brand new for Apple - they’d never worked with Intel previously. The iPad 1 was released before the ARM hardware was moved in-house and when iOS was still relatively new. Apple Watch 0 was a shrink of 1st generation chips on a first gen software platform.

I also agree that this is an iteration with basically a new OS rather than new hardware as such. And is definitely not the same as a new launch product like the phone, ipad, watch etc.

Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

The original iPad was the first device to get Apple silicon. It ran the same a4 as the iPhone 4 that came out 3 months later with half the ram causing it to only get 2 os updates and run like crap, I owned the first iPad and can attest to this fact.

Comment

Nicole1980

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
There have been references in Boot Camp updates to a "MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2020)". So, I think we're at least getting one more Intel 16" MacBook Pro release, thankfully!

Agreed. All this breathless wonderment that people seem to have for ARM Macs, I just don't care about them whatsoever. I'll stick with intel Macs for quite a while.

• Disagree
Reactions: ModusOperandi
Comment

Nicole1980

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
The current 21" iMacs have been on long delivery times directly from Apple for a few weeks now. Possibly a sign that they will be refreshed soon.
Delivery times have always been trotted out and some kind of 'evidence' of an imminent refresh, and 99% of the time, it means absolutely nothing.

Reactions: B.A.T
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.