Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techdove

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
I am never short of amazement of all the advocacy of abandoning what is a clearly better connector and port for a mobile device. USB-C is far more prone to wear, breaking and contamination.
USB c is superior in charging speeds, data transfer and durability. Don't play coy

techdove

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
Apple should do a lot of things but they are only going to do what makes them the most money or saves them the most costs: As longs as there's no clear indication that Apple is losing market shares because of it's refusal to go USB-C for iPhones then there's no reason for them to change anything and waste money on R&D.

Giving iPhones USB-C renders a ton of proprietary, made by Apple-accessories obsolete and opens up the market for consumers to get cables and chargers that are neither made by nor mfi certified by Apple.

Judging by what Apple is doing with MagSafe, I feel its much more likely they'll rely on some iteration of that or come up with yet another new proprietary solution. Equally likely is a portless iPhone with upgraded wireless charging speeds, "MagSafe 2nd Gen" or something similar.

Businesses only care to impress as long as it means increased profits. If consumers buy the product even when parts of it are disappointing then there's no reason for the business to change the product.

I'm also sure that there are just as many Apple users on the other side of the fence who have invested hundred of dollars on Lightning accessories and would hate to see the port go.

The win that many are painting a switch to USB-C to be for Apple isn't as obvious as it's often made out to be.
Unfortunately you're correct. Though apple could find a way to lock out all USB c chargers and accessories that are not MFI and could claim it's for "security, longevity, durability and compatibility"

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
USB c is superior in charging speeds, data transfer and durability. Don't play coy
All good until your connecting piece INSIDE the device breaks. I would rather have a 10 dollar cable fail than have to repair a connector inside a 1000 dollar phone. That the cable would be what fails first is the whole point.

natshaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
I am never short of amazement of all the advocacy of abandoning what is a clearly better connector and port for a mobile device. USB-C is far more prone to wear, breaking and contamination.
I only buy Apple Original Lightning cables from Apple or official Apple retailers. They have 100% failure rate (for charging). I reckon they last a year on average. I’ve got a whole lot of Apple devices, and I can honestly say that Lightning cable quality is the worst part of my Apple experience. Revoke Ive’s knighthood and send him to The Tower.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I only buy Apple Original Lightning cables from Apple or official Apple retailers. They have 100% failure rate (for charging). I reckon they last a year on average. I’ve got a whole lot of Apple devices, and I can honestly say that Lightning cable quality is the worst part of my Apple experience. Revoke Ive’s knighthood and send him to The Tower.
My Apple Lightning cables, on the other hand, have a 0% failure rate.

My son is clumsy and careless. He doesn't hold the strain relief on connectors. He doesn't care whether he flexes his cables excessively.

I am not clumsy or careless, and my cables are fine.

The clumsy and careless person I'm closest to always has problems with cables.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The original lightning cable that came with my 5s (in 2013) charges my Xs max without issue.

randywolf244

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
i might get some **** for saying this but I think the reason they keep using the lightning port is that they don't want to inconvenience their existing userbase. And I think that is a totally valid reason. I own probably 30 or so lightning cables? i own 2 usb-C cables, and they are both exclusively used for my laptop.

I don't actually want apple to stop using the lightning connector because I don't want to buy all new cables for devices that frankly don't need a faster charge rate. those being the computer peripherals, and airpods. I use magsafe or wireless to charge my phone most of the time, and while a faster iPad charger would be kind of nice. It doesn't really need it.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think Phil meant the connector would expire in 10 years, lol! It's just a figure of speech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.