Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

314ITguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2023
FWIW, looks like this was fixed in 16.6 beta, at least for the specific configuration at my place of work.

We have several 8th gen iPads deployed with Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (authentic), Lightning to USB Cable (authentic), Amazon Basics 5V 2.4A USB wall charger, and a Datalogic USB bar code scanner. 16.5 broke the Camera Adapter all together. The iPads were no longer charging and the scan guns stopped working.

Updated our test iPad to 16.6 beta and tested successfully with the configuration listed above as well as with an authentic Apple 12W USB Power Adapter (5V 2.4A).

Out of curiosity I also tested with an authentic Apple 5W USB Power Adapter (5V 1A). This would charge the iPad, but did not provide enough power for the bar code scanner to be fully functional.

Hope that helps anyone with similar issues. No idea when 16.6 will be released so we will probably throw all of these iPads on the beta.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hadn't checked mine but I just tried and yep does not work wowwwww

SAME! Just updated iPad last night and today it gave a Low Power alert. I was like "WTF!". Need the adapter to connect a keyboard and barcode scanner for my retail store. I can work around the issue by charging the iPad directly in between customers, until the fix is released.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just want to add — my camera connection adapter was working fine for the USB hub functionality, but not passing power for charging the iPad.

scribblings

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2023
SAME! Just updated iPad last night and today it gave a Low Power alert. I was like "WTF!". Need the adapter to connect a keyboard and barcode scanner for my retail store. I can work around the issue by charging the iPad directly in between customers, until the fix is released.
Fixed in iOS 16.6b2

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Maybe this is a stupid question but is there an alternative to this lightning to usb camera adapter when you're using an iPad with a USB-C connection, like the iPad Air M1 ?

I've been using a 9th gen iPad to connect it to a digital piano with that lightning to USB adapter, giving me data and power to charge the iPad.
The iPad Air M1 has a USB-C connector, so I can't use that adapter anymore.

Can I just use an additional Lightning (female) to USB-C (male) adapter or is there a better alternative ?

Reactions: Drewsf1

Wormhole999

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2023

Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter does not work with iPhones and iPads that have been updated to iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5, according to several users across the MacRumors Forums, Apple Support Community, and Reddit.

Apple-Lightning-to-USB-3-Camera-Adapter.jpeg

The adapter has a USB-A port for connecting a camera, microphone, or other USB-powered accessory to an iPhone or iPad, along with a Lightning port for charging the iPhone or iPad. As of iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5, however, affected users say the adapter no longer powers any devices connected to both of the ports.

The issue is likely due to a software bug that will need to be addressed in a future iOS version, but the underlying cause is unknown. Apple seeded the first beta of iOS 16.6 to developers today, but the update is likely many weeks away from being released, so an iOS 16.5.1 update might be necessary if the company wishes to fix the bug sooner.

Apple released iOS 16.5 on Thursday following seven weeks of beta testing. The update is a relatively minor one, with additions including a Sports tab in the Apple News app, a new Pride Celebration wallpaper honoring the LGBTQ+ community and culture, and bug fixes related to CarPlay, Screen Time, and Spotlight. Apple is expected to announce iOS 17 with bigger changes during its WWDC keynote on June 5.

Article Link: Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter Not Working With iOS 16.5
Yessss just like that…… update to beta 16.6
Bingo!! Camera adapter takes power through to flash drive and devices once again.👍👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.