Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new 13-inch MacBook Pro and 13-inch MacBook Air models are equipped with the M1, which is the first Apple Silicon chip. In addition to bringing impressive performance improvements, the M1 chip also significantly increases battery life.

apple-macbook-pro-m1-battery-life.jpg

The battery in the MacBook Air (49.9WHr) lasts for up to 15 hours with wireless web browsing and up to 18 hours when watching movies using the Apple TV app. The prior-generation model lasted for up to 11 hours when browsing the web, or up to 12 hours when watching movies.

Battery life is even better in the new MacBook Pro, which has a 58.2 WHr battery. The battery lasts for up to 17 hours when browsing the web and up to 20 hours when watching a movie using the Apple TV app. The prior-generation MacBook Pro lasted for up to 10 hours when browsing the web and up to 10 hours when watching movies.

Long battery life is enabled through the four high-efficiency cores that are included in the M1. Apple says that alone, the four cores offer similar performance as the dual-core MacBook Air but at much lower power, providing an efficient way to run simple tasks like checking email or browsing the web.

When needed, the new machines also engage the four high-performance cores of the M1 chip for more demanding tasks and better CPU performance. Apple promises that the M1 chip brings up to 3.5x faster CPU performance, 6x faster GPU performance, and up to 15x faster machine learning.

Article Link: Apple's M1 Chip Brings Massive Battery Life Improvements for MacBook Air and MacBook Pro

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Seems kind of backwards, no? Wouldn't the MB Air be the "ultra-long battery life" version, since it is all about portability and decreased processing power?

I guess it's size is what holds it back a bit.

Comment

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Looks like very limited RAM options with the unified memory if I read it correctly as part of the SOC.

Excellent for compute workloads but lacking the choice, particularly at the moment, to expand it ourselves.

It will be really interesting to see how they approach the more user upgradeable market i.e. the 27" iMac (probably will go) and the Mac Pro.

Comment

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
The only thing I’m worried about is longevity. These Macs don’t seem to be upgradable in any way and I wonder how good they will perform in 5 or 10 years.

I own a 2008 iMac and still works kind of fine to this day. My A4 iPod is no longer usable.

Comment

TravelsInBlue

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2020
That's all they've done really. The performance gains against the 8th intel and integrated graphics isn't all that impressive. It's good, but not amazing. Battery life is the major thing that these new machines really have going for them.
And much quieter due to better thermals and lack of fans.

But let’s be honest, Apple has been intentionally kneecapping the air in this department for at least a generation in anticipation of this change. They’ve likely been designing around their new silicon, which is why the last generation was terrible in this department.

Comment

Shaggymax

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
Lanc, Penn USA
That's all they've done really. The performance gains against the 8th intel and integrated graphics isn't all that impressive. It's good, but not amazing. Battery life is the major thing that these new machines really have going for them.
No way, they must have way more power available...they have to dip their toe in the water and not totally cannibalize their existing lineup. Plus the first round of buyers are the best beta testers :)

Comment

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Seems kind of backwards, no? Wouldn't the MB Air be the "ultra-long battery life" version, since it is all about portability and decreased processing power?

I guess it's size is what holds it back a bit.
The Pro is meant for more demanding tasks than watching movies in the Apple TV+ app. Most users won't get half of the claimed battery life if they're actually doing "pro" tasks. The Air, on the other hand, has many more potential buyers who might actually see the battery life claims come to fruition.

Comment

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
The Pro is meant for more demanding tasks than watching movies in the Apple TV+ app. Most users won't get half of the claimed battery life if they're actually doing "pro" tasks. The Air, on the other hand, has many more potential buyers who might actually see the battery life claims come to fruition.
Which is what I had originally assumed. So, its Apple being apple ("Apple-ganda"). Got it.

Reactions: Return Zero
Comment

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
The only thing I’m worried about is longevity. These Macs don’t seem to be upgradable in any way and I wonder how good they will perform in 5 or 10 years.

I own a 2008 iMac and still works kind of fine to this day. My A4 iPod is no longer usable.
Are they any less upgradable than the intel versions? Also, maybe the iPod just needs a new battery?

• Disagree
Reactions: miq
Comment

trigf

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
When battery life is that long already, it's not going to be my deciding factor. I need a three-way benchmark comparison between that intentionally-hobbled entry MacBook Air, the un-hobbled MacBook Air and the new 13 inch MacBook Pro before I choose one.

• Haha
Reactions: Vanilla35
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.