Apple's 'Magic Trackpad' Apparently Approved by FCC

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Diagram showing location of FCC label on presumed "Magic Touchpad"
Engadget reports that a new Apple product has appeared in the U.S. Federal Communications Commission's online database, and while it is not possible to positively identify the product from the filings published on the FCC's site, it does in fact appear to be the "Magic Trackpad" or "Magic Slate" device that has been the subject of rumors since last year and appeared in photos just last month.
A device known only by its model number A1339 is the culprit here, described as a "Bluetooth Device" used in conjunction with a MacBook without any associated filings for WiFi or WWAN networks. The ultra-rough label location diagram is definitely the right shape for the accessory, and what's interesting is that the test report was completed way back in October of 2009.
A close look at one of the purported images of the Magic Trackpad published last month does appear to show the device carrying model number A1339, suggesting that Engadget has correctly identified the product in the FCC filing.

Previously-posted "Magic Trackpad" image appearing to show model "A1339" designation (click for larger)
The FCC documents reveal that the testing report on the device was completed in October 2009, shortly before rumors of such a "trackpad gadget" surfaced from Daring Fireball's John Gruber. Apple's FCC submission was made alongside a request for confidentiality of certain materials in February of this year, with publication of the non-confidential material occurring today.

A release date for the product is unknown, but could be imminent given the timing of previous FCC approvals for other devices.

Article Link: Apple's 'Magic Trackpad' Apparently Approved by FCC

Tesseract

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Why anyone would ever want to use a trackpad over a mouse is beyond me... that being said - Apple does make a good trackpad, and I'm sure there would be some creative uses for it.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Why anyone would ever want to use a trackpad over a mouse is beyond me... that being said - Apple does make a good trackpad, and I'm sure there would be some creative uses for it.
Scrolling in a browser? Pinch/tap to zoom?

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Multitouch gestures? Its just as accurate?

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
have u even used a multi touch trackpad before? They scroll really smooth, perfect to surf the web.

I wonder what they will name such a device.

red0n

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
Just preference. I hate using a mouse, and absolutely love my trackpad.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
have u even used a multi touch trackpad before? They scroll really smooth, perfect to surf the web.
Don't forget that many creative professionals need mouses.

Multitouch gestures? Its just as accurate?
Not as fast, specially for many people who use their mouses every day.

Who says it isn't compliant? The aluminum keyboard is.
Not necessarily. The function keys work on Windows, however the system specific functions, like brightness, don't. In windows the pinch function, among others, will at least need drivers to work.

So what would the trackpad be primarily used for with a Macbook? :confused:
It will probably be used with desktops, since the Macbook has a built in trackpad.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
A Mac rumor on MacRumors instead of tweaking the same two or three stories about iPhone 4 and presenting them as news...again? Say it isn't so! :D

That being said, this device looks really exciting if it ever happens to be released.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
For maximum comfort I like to switch off between mouse and trackpad. And I love scrolling and Exposé gestures on Apple trackpads.

I’d buy something like this! I question the tilt of it, but I’ll try it out and see.

Does it have an antenna?
Yes. Possibly under the (glass?) pad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.