Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
The sooner the iPhone 6 arrives the better... I can’t wait to get rid of my sluggish iPhone 4

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I hope this means that the release will be in June. I won't be getting a new phone until December timeframe but I still like seeing all the new tech.

I also hope that the pre-orders don't sell out within the first 4-8 hours. Hopefully they have enough inventory to make it through launch day.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Is anyone else upset at the size increase? If I can't continue to use the entire width with one hand I'm going to be pissed.

I'm sure there will still be small size options for those that want, but clearly there is a very large demand for larger size screens out there. Hopefully Apple will minimize the bezels and keep the phone itself as small as possible.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Is anyone else upset at the size increase? If I can't continue to use the entire width with one hand I'm going to be pissed.

No, because we all will be able to buy whatever size we prefer.

The 5S is not going away.

If Apple wasn't so stubborn, they would have countered SAMSUNG with a larger phone some time ago.

Only interesting thing missing will be the marketing spin.

"We spoke to many long time iPhone customers and they told us: choice is good"

We listened and here it is the new magical iPhone XL........

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
You don't have to constantly stream it if you don't want to. You can download any tracks in your iTunes Match library to local storage on your device. If you know you're going to want xAlbum on your phone, download it (using your iPhone, iPad or computer) and listen to it. But I just don't understand the necessity of having every song with you at all times.

If all your music is on your phone, it requires no planning ahead. At any point, you can listen to any song that takes your fancy.

When the iPod launched, it was supposed to be all your music with you wherever you go.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Why would I want to pay for online storage that I would have to stream and/or download and use up my data cap when I can have it built into my phone and save both monthly data cap and battery life? Apps, video, etc. are all increasing size and naturally so should the storage in the phone. More storage is needed for power users.

Good argument and I completely agree. My theory is that Apple makes more money by keeping the storage low and forcing people to pay for cloud services. It's a little sneaky if you ask me. :rolleyes:

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I hope it's in September because that's when my contract is up, and the wait after the reveal will drive me nuts.

Gone are the good old days when Cingular moved up everyone's contract...

Do the math before you sign another 2-year contract. There's currently a $450 difference between the on-contract and off-contract price for the iPhone.

Then, compare that to how much your device fee would be. If you are on a plan with 10G of data or more, that's $15/month off-contract, vs. $40/month on contract. $25/month savings is $600 over 2 years.

That's $150 savings, if you keep the phone for 2 years.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
WWDC in June - Apple unveils the new iPhone6

iPhone6 goes on sale in July.

This allows Apple to have inventory levels stable going into the crucial holiday season beginning in November - after all the early adopters get their phones in the summer.

Please let this happen!!

I wish, but everyone's 2-year upgrade cycle has been pushed back. Everything is planned strategically, as well as iOS debugging. If they haven't started manufacturing yet, I can't imagine how they'll make it on time for July.

As for the 128GB, most people still buy the 16GB->32GB->64GB. Apple could easily drop the 16 and add 128, but less profit margins. Adding 128GB and not dropping 16 would add another variable to statistically calculating sales.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Adding 128GB and not dropping 16 would add another variable to statistically calculating sales.

I'm not sure if you're saying that's a good thing or bad thing. Regardless, they're doing it with the iPad Air (16, 32, 64, and 128), so why not do it with the iPhone Air (I'm hoping they call it that).

iRockApple

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Chicago, IL.
No they are not. For some people, these devices may be all they need for their computing tasks, but that doesn't change the fact that tablets ARE NOT computers.

I should clarify– as I'm sure some would be salivating at the bit to flame that statement. Therefore, when I say they are not computers, I mean that they cannot do many of the tasks that laptops and desktops can do, such as easily accessing the file system (Android's accessible file system in nowhere near applicable), lower level OS instructions, automation, etc.

Sure, smartphones and tablets are much closer to laptops and desktops than calculators are as far as computing is concerned, but you could also say that calculators are computers– they are, but not when measured against today's laptops and desktops.

People want and need 1TB of data on their laptops and desktops because the data is expected to reside there permanently. For most people, leaving all of your data on your mobile device simply isn't an efficient way of using your mobile device. The size and technology constraints of mobile devices require you to leverage cloud services to increase your reach to your data that you store offsite (at home, work, etc). The reason why most users still want (and don't need) 128GB of space is because they haven't learned how to leverage those cloud services, and cut the cord between their laptops and desktops at home.

You make a lot of sense in your statement, but you make the assumption that laptops/computers are mainly/mostly used by power users. You don't take in account the tens (possibly hundreds) of millions of students, kids, teens, and average (non technically inclined) people that uses laptops/computers for just for basic needs. By basic needs I mean only using them for web surfing, playing games, Skype, social networking, writing papers, making spreadsheets, power points, or things of that nature. When you look at it that way then yes a smartphone and/or tablet does/can completely render a computer/laptop obsolete.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I don't think this means a June release at all.

It just means they want to get ahead on having as many iPhone 6 available when it launches in fall.

:apple:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
WWDC in June - Apple unveils the new iPhone6

iPhone6 goes on sale in July.

This allows Apple to have inventory levels stable going into the crucial holiday season beginning in November - after all the early adopters get their phones in the summer.

Please let this happen!!

that will never happen. iOS 8 wont be finished.

----------

You don't have to constantly stream it if you don't want to. You can download any tracks in your iTunes Match library to local storage on your device. If you know you're going to want xAlbum on your phone, download it (using your iPhone, iPad or computer) and listen to it. But I just don't understand the necessity of having every song with you at all times.

your scenario doesnt cover this simply use case: 1) shuffle all songs, 2) dont use cellular data plan.

only a large volume does.

----------

No they are not. For some people, these devices may be all they need for their computing tasks, but that doesn't change the fact that tablets ARE NOT computers.

wrong. today's ipad does legions more than desktops of years gone by. in fact the original Mac couldnt do a fraction of what an ipad does. was it a computer? yup.

access to the file system in a way you want is not a requirement of what defines a computer.

iHEARTcartoons

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
San Diego
F-n Apple ain't releasing two iPhone 6 models. They're gonna drop the 5c/5s down another $100, maybe call it sumthin' different. They will release a larger iPhone model and prolly call it the iPhone Pro, to make sure all us "it needs to be bigger" [bleeps] will pull out the CC...

What?!Sure I been drinking, but I know this much about Apple, they ain't giving up [bleep], unless it effects their bottom line. All you fellow MacRumorerers should know this by now. Cheers.

Edit: Who do I gotta blow around here to get my damn Mac Pro? This is taking forever.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
2 screen sizes?

I agree, and hoping the rumors regarding screen size are true and will give 2-3 options?
I myself would prefer the 4.7in that's been rumored with a 5in. However I hope and believe they have a 5in option for those who want the bigger screen. A 5.5-6in.option to compete with G/Note (wouldn't be a competition in my eyes, just saying).:cool:

I personally know a few people who love the bigger screen G/S4 & S5's but prefer iOS and are hoping iPhone 6 has 5in.options. One of my good friends who had iPhones up until a few months ago has switched to a G/Note, even though he likes iOS better, the screen size filled the gap between his MacBook Pro and phone. For him it eliminates the need for an iPad, as he likes doing most everything on his phone.

I hope the iPhone 6 has 4.7in & 5in screen options, 4.5 or 4.7 would be my choice. For the reason you stated, using it one handed, and just as important for me, carrying comfort! Fits in the pocket nicely!

My iPhone 5s and iPad Air are awesome together! I only use my MacBook Pro & iMac when using Xcode or any other of the developing tools( I'm slowly learning how to make Apps).:apple::cool:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
If Apple delivers a 4.5-4.7 and a 5.5-5.7 inch iPhone and the smaller of the two is the same size as the 5S than there won't be any more complaints about screen size by anyone, most importantly me :D

----------

Smartphones and Tablets ARE the new computers. If people want 1TB on their laptop and desktop for various reasons, than they want as much space as possible on their iPhones and iPads for the same exact reason.

----------

I would do anything to get a 5.5 inch iPhone in July, and when I mean anything I mean ANYTHING!;)

Hey I know some who will pay you top dollar for one of your kidneys. I'll contact you closer to launch. Hehe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.