Apple's Maps or Google Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by osx11, Sep 19, 2012.

?

Which do you prefer: Apple Maps or Google Maps

1. Apple Maps

21 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Google Maps

107 vote(s)
    83.6%
  1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

2. matttye macrumors 601

3. Yojimbo007 macrumors 6502

Yojimbo007

Apple maps.. But miss the street view big time.

4. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

At this time Apple Maps are behind Google Maps.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Google Maps due to the amount of missing and incorrect mapping data in Apple Maps. Where I live towns are in the wrong place or not even shown, Satellite images are just a blur and of course there's no Street View.

Apple maps could end up being a great app but there's a long way to go and I don't think it should have even been released in it's present form. :(

6. drtimo macrumors member

Google Maps by a mile. The resolution of satellite images is just horrible. No Streetview which is a big loss. I wish I had never updated my IPad 2 or my IPhone 4. Hope Google release Maps on iOS soon - and apple approve this.

7. antdawe macrumors regular

I have to agree. There is no contest.

The lack of businesses on there near me is not funny.

Just last week I used maps (google) to find a community centre in a nearby town. Won't be able to do that now.

Yelp doesn't even know there's a nandos near by.

Googles database is huge and it's going to take years to replicate it.

8. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Remember when people said that iOS6 Maps would be nearly as good as Google Maps by the time the stable version of iOS6 comes out?

So much for that...:p

9. hot spare macrumors 6502

Depends on location.
    In US, I would assume Apple maps would be decent.
    Developed countries outside US, it would be ok.
    Other, simply pathetic.

Forget about feature, and all 3D stuffs. Most places don't even have data or simple basic navigation.

Comparison to google maps? you must be kidding!

10. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I personally can't see the difference in them, then again I hardly ever used it.

But Google Maps looked nicer.

11. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I can't remember what Google maps was like now, so Apple maps. :)

12. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Google Maps was/is significantly more accurate and contained much more information - especially here in the UK.

I've been very disappointed with the new Apple Maps App - yes it looks nice, but it's like Apple have said, "look at this car we've designed - doesn't it look nice" only to realise they've forgotten to include an engine!

13. nathdogg macrumors regular

Google maps by far. As a previous poster stated, the satellite imagines in my town are nowhere near as clear as they were on google maps.

Maybe I'm the only person, but I'm not actually that impressed with the 3d maps.

14. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

I voted Apple maps just for it becoming a great fully integrated turn by turn solution. I never really used google maps at all.

15. m00min macrumors 6502

I'm not updating my iPhone until there's a jailbreak for IOS6 and Google Maps is available to download.

Apple maps are the latest symptom of Apple's "not invented here" degenerative disease.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Google Maps are better (accuracy) but I prefer Apple maps for turn by turn etc.

Yes I just ******* on your poll

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I noticed some places near me are located on the opposite side of the street. I live in a very busy and well known area.

18. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Nobody said that. Stop trolling

19. Bezetos, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Bezetos macrumors 6502a

Google Maps is a hundred times better (and on the Android is even better).

Apple Maps has many mistakes and inaccuracies, hasn't got Street View which I miss, has inferior satellite imagery, often incomplete maps (when looking at smaller cities and towns). The 3D cities are a gimmick and only look good from a distance (at least on my 4S) and sometimes the animations are really choppy.

Don't get me wrong, the Maps are fine, however they feel like a downgrade, and considering how much experience Google has with maps they will most likely always be ahead of the game.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that it crashed at least twice on me when switching between modes.

20. chen23 macrumors member

was never a heavy user of google maps so not having quite the existential crisis and emotional trauma that some people seem to be going through right now

haven't bothered putting ios6 on my phone as getting the 5 tomorrow but checked it on my ipad and it seemed pretty good to me; there is a big proviso that I've only bothered checking near my work (Soho in London) and my home (22 minute train journey from central London).

Going by the commments on here I'm guessing it's not so good elsewhere and the lack of street view is a bit of a shame. I'd be amazed if there wasn't an official google app very soon and in the meantime people can use the online version; or alternatively they can go and slash their wrists after destroying every apple object they own in a fit of fury at Apple's sheer incompetence.

21. m00min macrumors 6502

If Google are smart they'll not bother making a downloadable IOS map app. If you want Google Maps then you need to buy an Android device. Since they don't charge for the service they aren't gonna lose money by ignoring the IOS platform. It would be a USP for them.

22. Power Ranger macrumors member

23. 199708 macrumors 6502

S3 is coming my way next month, Apple's maps is unusable.

Remember their excuse for not releasing copy and paste earlier?, they wanted it to be perfect and add to the user experience, why doesn't apple follow the same model for newer features of their ios? Release maps when its on par with google maps or excels google maps user experience.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Google Maps are far superior at this point, I'm actually unsure as to why Apple is even bothering with their own Maps service. Even Bing Maps is better at this moment in time.

25. smacman macrumors 6502

For those of us outside the US, Apple Maps are 100% useless. I'll never forgive Apple for so blatantly taking away so much functionality from my device. Contrary to a lot of opinions on here, I don't think they'll ever catch up to Google either.

Attached Files: