Apple's 'MobileMe Gallery' App Now iPad-Compatible

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its MobileMe Gallery application [App Store] for the iOS platform, bringing iPad compatibility as well as full support for the higher-resolution Retina displays found in the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch. The update also brings support for multi-tasking and the ability for iPhone and iPad users who are not MobileMe members to view friends' photo galleries.
    A June update to the application had delivered the ability for the iPhone 4 to download higher-resolution versions of photos, but today's update extends Retina display optimization to the entire application.

MobileMe Gallery debuted for the iPhone and iPod touch back in January.

Article Link: Apple's 'MobileMe Gallery' App Now iPad-Compatible

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Awesome, Apple has needed an iPad version of this app for a long time. :D

3. darrenbeige macrumors regular

Shame it doesn't do the pinch-zoom stacky thing.

4. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

About time, does it rally take that long to push out software good software? I have only been waiting for the ios 4 on the iPad for about 6 months now.

5. iWonderwhy macrumors 6502

iWonderwhy

Rumors/news on here have been pretty dull since the early Sept. iPod refresh.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Whenever people talk about 'free services to replace MobileMe' with, they come up with long lists of things like Dropbox and so on.

The online gallery function is one thing, however, that I've never seen replicated nearly half as well as Apple does it. It's the one thing that really keeps me paying for MobileMe every year. I probably could replace everything else it does with free services, but not this.

Glad to see it's expanding into more devices but what I really want them to do is make the app a manager...it should do ALL the things you can do on www.me.com instead of just being a viewer like it is now.

EDIT: Ok, I see they added the new ability to use this app without being a MobileMe subscribe. THAT'S pretty big! I share other's galleries in my app, it's great to see that non MM subscribers can take advantage of that feature too.

7. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

Dude its in beta...and apple is gonna make is so magical that you will be glad that it took so long!

8. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 100 percent. MobileMe is very very fast in replication! They just need to bite the bullet and make it standard and free for all iOS devices!

It would be a really good selling point!

9. irwcll94 macrumors member

I bet it got really delayed because Apple rejected it the first time

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Awesome, this one has been a long time coming.

11. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

Do yourself a favor and start writing down the list of applications, operating system branches, testing, etc., Apple has embarked on in the past 4 years.

12. conecode macrumors newbie

This would be exciting if Mobile Me were free. Apple could really eat into Gmail and Google docs.

13. selfdisplaced macrumors member

umm...why is there not just a MobileMe App for everything? Why is there a separate app for Find My iPhone, Me Gallery, iDisk, etc.

This is stupid.

14. wolfneuralnet macrumors newbie

Upload Photos???

Looks nice, but still doesn't solve a critical problem. :mad:

How are we supposed to upload photos to MobileMe from the iPad?

Your on a trip, you upload the photos to your iPad from the camera card... and... Nothing. You have to transfer the photos INDIVIDUALLY from the Photo all to the MobileMe account. Select more than one, and you can only delete them.

I thought the new Gallery app might solve this with an "open in" solution, but no go. Any ideas?

15. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 100 percent! There needs to be one app and it needs to be universal too.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Same reason why 'Phone,' 'Calendar,' and 'iPod' are all differant apps. Would you like them to smash all those into a single app as well? After all, they're all made by Apple, so why not?

Or maybe it's nicer to have them split up by what they do rather than where they come from.

I mean, what does 'Find my Phone' have to do with a photo gallery? Why should they be in the same app? That makes no sense.

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just look at iTunes for a reason why NOT to do this.

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Sad that Apple is slower than most third party devs at updating their own software for Retina and iPad. Shows a lack of professionalism. There is no reason it should take since April to get an iPad version of Gallery. And how outdated the remote app was until the recent update was embarrassing. I'm hoping these delays are due to work on OS 10.7. I'd like to buy a new Mac next year and have a new OS to go with it!

I'm just happy that 2Do was updated for iPad last night! It's really nice too!

19. newagemac macrumors 68020

It's about time! Seems like Apple is really starting to update all of their apps to support the iPad and the iPhone 4 retina display. And Mobileme just keeps getting better and better. Sure there are free solutions you can cobble together but there isn't anything out there done as well and as well integrated as Mobileme.

20. rlmccormick macrumors regular

I'd prefer an iPhone/iPad compatible mobile me website...

21. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

22. rikmac macrumors member

23. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

i wish you could incorporate music and other settings in slide show like iphoto.

24. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Never seen this app before, but on seeing it here, I thought it sounded good.

I currently use Photobucket to view my photo's anywhere on any device.

Downloaded the app onto my iPad, and of course I needed to create an account.

With a positive attitude I went to Apple's web site to make myself an account then fell backwards off my chair and hurt my jaw as it hit the floor in stunned shock that it would cost me $99 for a year to use this after a free trial.

Oh well, this could be a record for the shortest time any app has stayed on my iPad !

25. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

the gallery is only one function of mobileme. can you use photobucket to locate, lock or swipe your lost ipad? :D