Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As if a grand opening for Apple's first Hong Kong store this Saturday wasn't enough, the company has also announced that it will be opening its massive new Nanjing East store in Shanghai on Friday.

apple_store_nanjing_east_annoucement.jpg

We noted last week that Apple had added its "curtain opening" promotional signage to the barrier surrounding store, suggesting that a launch was imminent.

apple_store_nanjing_east_barrier.jpg

First revealed back in February, the store will be Apple's third in Shanghai and fifth overall in China, and will be the largest Apple retail store in the country. The Nanjing East store will span five levels: a ground floor dedicated to sales, a second floor dedicated to support and training, and three additional floors devoted to business customers and office space for Apple's Chinese operations.

Shanghai is already home to one iconic Apple store, the Pudong store with its cylindrical glass entrance leading to a below-ground store underneath a central plaza at the city's International Finance Center. Apple has cited the entry's glass panels as the largest such curved glass panels in the world and the result of key technological advancements that the company is using in other projects such as the revamp of its Fifth Avenue cube in Manhattan and its planned second corporate campus in Cupertino, California.

Article Link: Apple's 'Nanjing East' Retail Store to Open in Shanghai This Friday

saxondale.

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
England/China
have a week off from studying this october, so i might get the train to shanghai and check it out. none of the apple shops had open when i was there last time!

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Did anyone else see the image for the article and think, "FINALLY! The invite! Oh... dammit."

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I guess we'll be seeing opening-day photos of this store during the keynote next week, with Tim saying something like: "We've got over 300 stores and our customers love them. This one is our third store in Shanghai, which opened last Friday."

Last edited:

graysunderland

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
I hope the opening of this new store coincides with the launch of a brand new, shiny, product. One can hope, right?

Hate to break it to you, but no, there won't be anything new.

----------

I guess we'll be seeing opening-day photos of this store during the keynote next week, with Tim saying something like: "We've got over 300 stores and our customers love them. This one is our first store in Hong Kong, which opened last Friday."

This is the third store in Shanghai...

Metal Dice

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
Denmark
What do we have to do to get a single official Apple Store in Denmark!?
Apparently Denmark has been voted happiest place on earth numerous times, yet we don't have a single Apple Store. I'm not feeling that happy.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I want more large/flagship stores in the U.S.

All the ones near me are not even close to the Scottsdale Quarter type building.

The ones here are just regular stores in malls. :( I have yet to visit one of their "flagship" locations. Heck, I just want to visit one of their medium-range locations like Manhasset or something.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
What do we have to do to get a single official Apple Store in Denmark!?
Apparently Denmark has been voted happiest place on earth numerous times, yet we don't have a single Apple Store. I'm not feeling that happy.

Maybe that's why you're the happiest. :p

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

----------

Lol....Please elaborate.

I'm gonna file this one with the rest of the posts I saved basically saying the same thing..."don't get too excited...Apple is NOT releasing a fully redesigned iPhone 5"..Or.."all were getting is a spec bumped iPhone 4"..etc, etc.....I just can't wait to post them all with a picture of the game changing device that will be the next gen iPhone. Anyone who thinks otherwise is way, way off.

graysunderland

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011

----------

Lol....Please elaborate.

I'm gonna file this one with the rest of the posts I saved basically saying the same thing..."don't get too excited...Apple is NOT releasing a fully redesigned iPhone 5"..Or.."all were getting is a spec bumped iPhone 4"..etc, etc.....I just can't wait to post them all with a picture of the game changing device that will be the next gen iPhone. Anyone who thinks otherwise is way, way off.

LOL, obviously you can use a minute or two to really understand what other people are saying before your "filing" business.
So let me elaborate: I was in NO way speculating on what the next iPhone would be (4s or 5 or whatever, I don't give a damn cos I am not buying a new one this year) What I was referring to was the "coincide" part: the opening of this store in Nanjing road won't coincide with any new, shiny, product. Get it now?

Last edited:

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
5 story apple store/base, awesome. I wouldn't mind moving to Shanghai to work there for a bit, but I wouldn't know how to communicate !

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Apple seems to be opening new stores at an incredible pace right now. I am guessing that it is trying to solidify its distribution channel prior to the release of the iPhone 5, and the company will likely not open any new stores for a week or two prior to its release (can you imagine having people lining up for the new iPhone at a store that was just having its grand opening?).

----------

Did anyone else see the image for the article and think, "FINALLY! The invite! Oh... dammit."
Yep, me too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.