Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
For those of you asking why someone who just uses a machine for surfing the web needs 16GB of RAM - me. I have a MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM, and it's markedly faster than my MacBook Air with 8GB.

Now, granted, both of these are two core machines from 2015, but even that ought to show how stingy Apple's being nearly 10 years later.

Now, I don't do much on my MacBook aside from posting rants on MacRumors (and other) forums. But I have over 100 tabs open in Safari (I'll get to reading all those NYT articles... someday), Another dozen open in Chrome (for stuff that Safari's just not happy with). And depending on the day, I'll have Mail, Excel, VLC, Reader, etc all open in the background, waiting for me to flip over to them as needed - but none of these are video apps, or compilers, or rendering, or machine learning. They're just... everyday apps.

Switching between apps is much slower on the MBA once I've gotten more than a dozen or so tabs open. I don't generally get to that point on the 16GB MBP unless I'm being exceptionally greedy.

My wife uses her corporate MBP the same way - she has half a dozen Chrome windows open (reflecting different projects/tasks), each with 50-100 tabs. And she complains that her 16" Intel MBP cranks its fan up too much.

So yeah, 8GB is a joke, even for people who who don't do 'pro' stuff.

I don't need an M3P - but Apple simply doesn't sell an inexpensive portable machine that has more RAM than my 2015 13" MBP. I propose that the M3 MBP is a bit of a miss, and it should've been refocused:
  • An M3 (M3+, if you will) with the same core count as the M3, but with more I/O - a second external monitor, 3rd USB port, and dedicated video out, just like the M3P
  • 16GB of RAM
  • Standard LED display (to cut down on COGS)
For the same $1,599 that Apple wants. Would be great as an MBA upsell - more ports and more RAM, unlike the current M3 MBP, which just has a better screen that not everybody needs... at least it's bigger and heavier than the 13" MBP it replaces /sarc.

Good God man, no one is saying anyone that has 50-100 tabs, in half a dozen different windows open, is fine with 8 gb of RAM. Most people don’t have that many tabs open, thats obscene.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
This exactly... I'd like an M3 MacBook Air 15" with 16GB of RAM for a reasonable price. I'd even take the current M2 version iwth 16GB RAM, but the $200 RAM update kills the whole value proposition of the device. If the base M3 MacBook Pro had 16GB, it's be an amazing value, but Apple found a way to ruin it.

What would you choose between

1) 16Gb of RAM in the base model at an unreasonable price

or

2) 16Gb of RAM in a BTO model at a reasonable price?

Reactions: lowkey

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
I know Apple employees frequent MacRumors. Just read the comment section and realize charging $200 for an extra 8GB of RAM is preposterous. Same $200 for another 256GB HD. Extra GPU core for +4% performance? Another $100.

Sad listening the Apple apologists saying 8GB is enough. If the use case is browsing the web and basic stuff, a $150-200 Chrome laptop is "enough", so saying the M1 is a steal...

It's not about what you can do, but how.

I could do everything I need on a Windows PC with 8Gb of RAM, a slow 128Gb of SSD, a terrible CPU and GPU, noisy fan, huge and heavy power supply and an ugly look.

Still I buy MacBooks at much higher prices.

TheRoxyTheatre

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
They've got to get rid of the 8gb variant stocks already produced, cause no body's buying them at the list price, at $1399 it's a great deal and a lot less compromised than the Air's.
But if you want to unlock it's full potential, it needs 16gb and you need to pay $1800 which is still a good price, if you don't need the additional power of the Pro Chip, but you want the web browsing speed and quality hardware
It would be an ok deal at $899 for 8gb. Hard pass otherwise.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good pricing for the new MacBook Pro. MacBooks should have more RAM than 8 GB

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Apple screwed up here in their zest for maximum profit to the point that it’s now harming the basic performance of the product. Simple tests show 8Gb isn’t enough, but more importantly these are “Pro” machines and as such should come with “Pro” levels of RAM. Period.
Which “simple tests” are they?
Please link.

semka

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
I wouldn't buy them even if they sell 36Gb/1TB one at these prices until they get rid of the notch.

Reactions: bobcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.