Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
surprisingly, youtube CPU usage is LESS then compared to this neosmart thing. :confused: wth.

Not really. You have to add the Flash Player plugin and the Safari processor loads for Flash-based YouTube playback, whereas the HTML5 playback Safari load stands alone.

So it's actually 61% processor load for YouTube (Flash) and 26% processor load for YouTube (HTML5).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Not really. You have to add the Flash Player plugin and the Safari processor loads for Flash-based YouTube playback, whereas the HTML5 playback Safari load stands alone.

So it's actually 61% processor load for YouTube (Flash) and 26% processor load for YouTube (HTML5).

im talking overall usage. :confused: direct from youtube looks to be like, 80% (out of 200%). with the neo thing its more like 150% or even more.

MacDSmith2

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
If these flash problems are related to airport networking as has been rumored, then 10.6.2 is supposed to have a fix for airport problems and the new iMacs, which I assume is related to these flash cpu usage problems on the higher end Macs with SL. We should see in a few weeks as it is supposed to be released this month. Interestingly Apple has not officially commented directly on the flash problem and just what is the cause of it under SL.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
If these flash problems are related to airport networking as has been rumored, then 10.6.2 is supposed to have a fix for airport problems and the new iMacs, which I assume is related to these flash cpu usage problems on the higher end Macs with SL. We should see in a few weeks as it is supposed to be released this month. Interestingly Apple has not officially commented directly on the flash problem and just what is the cause of it under SL.

if its airport related, shouldnt the problem be fixed when using a network cable? has anybody tried this yet?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Does anyone feel like Adobe recruited the software writers of RealPlayer circa 1999 for their Flash for Mac team?

Coming next Tuesday... Flash G2.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Who actually used RealPlayer?

i dont use real player but i use one of their codecs, RMVB, one of the best codecs out there, i would use it over XviD anyday.

for example a stargate atlantis eps thats normally 350MB (Xvid) is only 220MB in RMVB format, SAME QUALITY or no noticeable difference, i played the eps side by side on the same monitor, i couldn't tell any difference at all.

Skeeter35

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Boston
I was having performance issues on my new 27 slow program running choppy video so I turned off the airport and it was like a different machine. But it still is unacceptable in my opinion and this issue has to be resolved by apple.

katiepea

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Does anyone feel like Adobe recruited the software writers of RealPlayer circa 1999 for their Flash for Mac team?

Coming next Tuesday... Flash G2.

What I feel more like is that apple severs professional relationships with their proprietary API nonsense ala flash for iphone or google voice, and devs stop caring about their small marketshare...

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
So did anyone install the 10.6.2 patch? Does it improve flash plug-in performance, with Airport running? I am waiting for my i5 to arrive and am curious.
Thanks.

Ximie

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
I have my Imac for 2 days now. I have seriously tested it already, and I have no flash issues what so ever.

I did however have to use "Force Stop" about 10 times already and manually shut down my mac 2 times because it completely blocked.

In the end i'm very happy with my purchase, but i'm still waiting for a decent patch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.