Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Are you running Leopard or Snow Leopard ?

I;m running SL although I must admit that there are more beach balls with snow leopard. But, no problems with Flash, screen, nor sound. I'm thinking about going back to Leopard because it just worked!

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
I have a 21.5" middle of the road iMac. Flash on CNN.com pegs my CPU at 100%, and skips like mad.

Sigh.

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Booting into the 64-bit Kernel seemed to help quite a bit. Haven't had the problem yet. We'll see after the systems been up for a few hours...

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
I just came back from the apple store in zurich and sorry to say that but this new Imacs are pure crap!!!!
1.) I tested the model with 3.06 GHz 4GB RAM blablabla....1 stupid Flash Animation made the whole machine going mad (CPU 96%)

2.) If you move the safari browser window around from one side of the desktop to the other side the CPU Load also goes up to 93%

3.) Websites ...try to scroll up and down...it looks like the system can't handle that 100% perfect......it does not run smoothly

There were no applications in the background....just nothing.
WTF....sorry

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
I dont think it gets any worst than Apple fanboys

I think Linux fanboys are worse, you know, "Free is better!", "Everyone can use Linux!", "I can get x for free and it's as good as y!" etc.
And there are Windows fanboys too. There's fanboyism everywhere. And quite frankly, excluding crazy-ignorants, the Apple fanboys are the most reasonable of them.

People want to do work with their computers. They don't want to create slideshows and upload them to youtube using quicktime.

And they can perfectly work on Macs...so what's the problem? For many people working is better on Macs (especially when it is media-related, and that is work too,)

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I just came back from the apple store in zurich and sorry to say that but this new Imacs are pure crap!!!!
1.) I tested the model with 3.06 GHz 4GB RAM blablabla....1 stupid Flash Animation made the whole machine going mad (CPU 96%)

2.) If you move the safari browser window around from one side of the desktop to the other side the CPU Load also goes up to 93%

3.) Websites ...try to scroll up and down...it looks like the system can't handle that 100% perfect......it does not run smoothly

There were no applications in the background....just nothing.
WTF....sorry

I think that you'll find your COMMENT is pure crap, not the iMac. It is the OS causing these problems, not the hardware. Fact.

gadgetechie

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
oh I can belive it's True.

Having a late-08 MBP and recently upgrading (downgrading) to SL, I see nothing but terrible performance on sites heavy with flash. Both cores are max'd at 85-90% capacity, and at times I cannot switch windows, or even call up the 'Force Quit' dialog box. Not sure if it's Flash-centric or flash+safari since latest Firefox behaves around 50% capacity and I have system responsiveness.
Oh, btw, i end up having to kill/terminate everything else if I plan on accessing flash heavy sites so only thing running is Finder (well and other core OS services).

Not happy w/ SL - performance suxs, constant app crashes; finder randomly recycles - ready to toss the whole kit-n-caboodle out the door and go back to XP/Win7.
:(:(:(:apple::(:(:(

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Apple working on a fix

Ah, it looks like I may be able to get myself a Core i5 27'' iMac before the end of the year after all... According to AppleInsider, the latest 10.6.2 beta will fix the issues with AirPort (and maybe Flash as well?)...

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Not happy w/ SL - performance suxs, constant app crashes; finder randomly recycles - ready to toss the whole kit-n-caboodle out the door and go back to XP/Win7.
:(:(:(:apple::(:(:(

I was pissed too, so I finally got back to Leopard 10.5.8 and it's all fine again, as it used to.

A number of third party developers have still not managed to make the transition to 64-bit SL for some of their apps. This includes Adobe's Shockwave FlashPlayer and Unsanity's FruitMenu and WindowShade.
It's cool in 10.5.8 land and I'll stay there until there's a WindowShade for SL.

No need to drop OS X. Morover, Win 7 works great in Leopard with either VMWare or Parallels. ;)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I had a Tx2 for a while, and I was impressed. And this was in the Vista SP2 days. No multi touch, but it was beautiful taking notes and making diagrams.

Too bad it get hot as hell.

Anyways, I'm sure once Apple releases some sort of multi touch monitor you'll be all over it and how better it is and how innovating it is, even though someone else did it first.

If this were true, I would have ordered a Troll Touch Mac a long time ago, circa 1987,

before touch screens were even available for PCs.

I have absolutely no desire to reach my arm(s) up toward a perpendicular screen, situated 3' in back of the keyboard,

as this would grow tiresome after a short while. A tablet, conversely, would be a preferable multi-touch input device,

since it could easily be used facing upward. IMO, large, upright touch screens seem regressive, in this regard. A multi-touch

mouse would be a more sensible and preferable input solution for a large, upright screen. (not to mention that cleaning a 10"

surface would invariably be easier than that of a 27" vertically oriented screen - go figure)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I have absolutely no desire to reach my arm(s) up toward a perpendicular screen, situated 3' in back of the keyboard, as this would grow tiresome after a short while.

Judging from the prevalence of fingerprints on many monitors, your 3' distance seems to be larger than average.

I agree that a "touch-only" system would be tiring.

However, touch as another available input paradigm in addition to keyboard/mouse is very handy. Poking the "submit" button on a web page is quicker and more natural than
  1. Find your mouse
  2. Move the mouse so that you can find the cursor
  3. Move the cursor over the "submit" button
  4. Press the mouse in the correct way to register an MB1 event

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Judging from the prevalence of fingerprints on many monitors, your 3' distance seems to be larger than average.

I prefer to keep electromagnetic radiation exposure at minimum levels, when possible.

I agree that a "touch-only" system would be tiring.

As would be for any vertically mounted multi-touch screen, while seated in a chair.

However, touch as another available input paradigm in addition to keyboard/mouse is very handy. Poking the "submit" button on a web page is quicker and more natural than

1. Find your mouse

Never lost it - the mouse remains under my hand while working with graphics, sound editing, movie editing, or submitting info on the web. After typing, the mouse remains kinesthetically

at a much shorter distance than any random locations on the monitor, a surface which I prefer to keep free of finger prints and smudges.

2. Move the mouse so that you can find the cursor

Not that much of an issue, being that the table top functions as a virtual monitor while using a mouse. This will soon be the case for the muti-touch mouse itself, whereby one

will be able to move the curser via scrolling gestures. Besides, I'm more willing to utilize a multi-touch mouse as a virtual monitor for selecting buttons in favor of exerting the extra

energy necessary for lifting up and reaching out with the full arm, against gravity, to hunt and peck at random places on the surface of the monitor, all the while lacing it with fingerprints.

3. Move the cursor over the "submit" button

It sure is nice not having to lift my arm, away from the keyboard and mouse, to reach up and out for buttons.

4. Press the mouse in the correct way to register an MB1 event

In the end, the mouse solution requires far less energy exertion. At the end of the day, the time and effort saved, in not having to thoroughly Windex a 30" Cinema Display,

is well worth bypassing the need to reach up and poke a monitor. The cinema display happens to be a matte screen - cleaning it on a daily basis would be a RPITA.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
I think Linux fanboys are worse, you know, "Free is better!", "Everyone can use Linux!", "I can get x for free and it's as good as y!" etc.
And there are Windows fanboys too. There's fanboyism everywhere. And quite frankly, excluding crazy-ignorants, the Apple fanboys are the most reasonable of them.

And they can perfectly work on Macs...so what's the problem? For many people working is better on Macs (especially when it is media-related, and that is work too,)

um hate to break it to you but 'media-related' work is now handled better on windows. fact: photoshop 64-bit can only be run on windows (at least until cs5).

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
A touch computer outside of a tablet holds no appeal to me whatsoever, as I don't really care to have to fatigue associated with it. Even the stuff that would be cool, I'd much rather just use a Wacom.

A trackball and a Wacom for me would be better than a touchscreen.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
A touch computer outside of a tablet holds no appeal to me whatsoever, as I don't really care to have to fatigue associated with it. Even the stuff that would be cool, I'd much rather just use a Wacom.

A trackball and a Wacom for me would be better than a touchscreen.

Couldn't agree more.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Couldn't agree more.

I mean it's great there's that option for people on the Windows side, I just don't miss it at all on the Mac side. The fact that there are HP PC's similar to the iMac but with touch just isn't a selling point. I'm not sure what it would be good for.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I mean it's great there's that option for people on the Windows side, I just don't miss it at all on the Mac side. The fact that there are HP PC's similar to the iMac but with touch just isn't a selling point. I'm not sure what it would be good for.
Supposedly there's a kitchen PC market that those easel style HP TouchSmart appeals to.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Mmm greasy computer!

..and our next featured entrée will be.... eh....ew!

slimy%2BOkra.jpg

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
..and our next featured entrée will be.... eh....ew!

slimy%2BOkra.jpg
Bad example and that wouldn't be an entrée.

I can understand the desire for a computer in the kitchen with a TV tuner in it. Just get the Windows Media Center remote and you can touch when you need it.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Bad example and that wouldn't be an entrée.

Yes, indeed it would be an entrée - however, it is pretty heavily masked and obscured by multiple layers of grease from the kitchen.

I can understand the desire for a computer in the kitchen with a TV tuner in it. Just get the Windows Media Center remote and you can touch when you need it.

This, would then, defeat the purpose of having a touch screen in the first place.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Why not just get a TV then?
A TV doesn't run Windows Media Center, Hulu, etc.

This, would then, defeat the purpose of having a touch screen in the first place.
You're usually standing up in the kitchen. A wireless keyboard and mouse would work but why do that when you can touch/tap your way through today's weather and news while you drink your coffee?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.