Apple's New Coke moment?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Ottoman1, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Ottoman1 macrumors regular

In the 80's, Coke changed its formula and launched New Coke.

The outcry was so bad that Coke quickly changed its formula back and then rebranded its original formula as Coca Cola Classic.

This new OS tastes like New Coke to me.

2. ammusk macrumors regular

After a week or two, new coke will start tasting like old coke because they don't sign old coke anymore.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I always thought typography geeks were full of ' it'.

...for Apple - this interface feels like a high school homework project. "Class, I'd like your ideas for a futuristic phone UI by Monday please" - I have my suspicions that Homer may have a long lost brother in the iPhone 5C department too.

I do like some of the innovations in the 5S but I think it's way too small in storage terms - I also suspect that this has something to do with the long term storage predictions for the iPhone 6, which will be sooner than the wait for 5S - the 6 will definitely need 128GB or more - I just don't think the availability will be there.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Don’t judge things by what you read on MacRumors. ;)

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I think it's too drastic of a comparison.
    iOS is still the same old iOS pretty much, with a different design and new features.

6. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

There is no outcry.

Reviewers love it. Casuals love it. Hardcore became quite adapted and to liking it during beta.

Where is the outcry you allude to?

7. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

You mean don't judge a fairly big outcry on a FANSITE DEDICATED TO APPLE?

8. KeanosMagicHat, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I don't think Apple care unfortunately, which is a very strange attitude for any company.

I wouldn't expect any drastic change to the default look of iOS 7, but if we continue the Coke analogy, it comes in various different options, the current ones on the Coca Cola Company website being;

Caffeine Free Coca-Cola
    Caffeine Free Coke Light/Diet Coke
    Cherry Coke
    Coca-Cola
    Coca-Cola Zero
    Diet Cherry Coke
    Diet Coke/Coca-Cola Light
    Diet Coke/Coca-Cola Light with Lime
    Vanilla Coke

That's a lot of Coke options catering for different tastes.

The least Apple could do is give us one - a Dark Theme for night / low light viewing or even, as I would use it, the default.

If they went totally crazy (by Apple's standards) with customer appreciation, they could even offer a toned down day theme with less 5C matching neon colours.

I doubt the latter will happen, but I still have hope for the Dark Theme.

______

Dark Theme Example

9. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

I think it takes time getting used to iOS 7. Take your time to adapt cause you can't really do anything to it.

10. X5-599 macrumors regular

I don't *want* to adapt and I still hope for a new (eye friendly) set of icons for the stock apps...

11. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

OVERTASK

They also replaced Sugar with Corn Syrup as a cost saving measure. Some think that this was perhaps an elaborate ruse to change the ingredient in the original coke without having a large outcry about it.

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Yeah this. I hear rumours of competitive companies having members sign up for sites liek this to create a negative impact.

I never really believed until now.

13. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

You dark theme nerds need to give up and wait for a jailbreak.

14. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I don't jailbreak my phone. Security nightmare.

I generally prefer to be the customer of a company that listens to and acts upon sensible requests though.

15. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

LOL.

Yet you continue to buy Apple products?

The irony is so incredible..#:apple:washed.

16. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

yes it does, and we will adapt but we will still have gone from a phone that looked different and classy and apple like, to a bland tablet that could be any brand.

17. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Maybe they'll release "skins" with iOS8...

Classic skin!

18. fisha macrumors regular

I really think the colouring of the OS is a big step backwards in terms of ease of use. The functionaility of the OS is fine, but its difficult to read.

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Actually, I prefer to see it this way:

You just finished 8th grade. You had this cool friend who was nice, but had big dorky glasses, a questionable fashion choice, and a lot of allergies.

When you start high school and you see your friend again, they got an all new wardrobe, new contacts, new allergy mediciene, and suddenly they are SUPER HOT.

iOS 7 is that friend when they get hot.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's where I see a similarity to social sites and the mobile platform.

Take facebook, they continually tweak and alter their UI. Whenever they do, people complain, whine, threaten to leave but eventually start using it. They keep ahead of the curve pushing the envelope - sometime it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Now take myspace who failed to keep updating their UI and banked on their early popularity. Where are they now - a shell of what they were.

Jump back to iOS and consider Android where the UI is updated and refreshed as needed. The Pre iOS7 UI was getting long in the tooth and needed to be revamped. People were used to it so no matter what apple was going to do, it was going to upset users.

I think the changes are quite different but as I work with it, I'm enjoying the new UI more and more.

21. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

It's called Pros n' Cons. You weigh them all up and make an informed decision.

There's more pros than cons to me owning an Apple device at this precise moment, but the gap is narrowing fast.

I greatly admire the HTC One for example - but we're getting off topic.

22. kot macrumors regular

I really like the new design, I think this new design is a major step forward for Apple, I love the fonts too, so clean, but! Performance could be better, I can see with the naked eye that iOS 7 is slower and stutters sometimes, especially in Maps (map scrolling is jerky), Spotlight, some other places. Sometimes keyboard is laggy too, like there is a very noticeable lag after when you touch a virtual key and the time iOS reacts to it.

I'm using iPhone 5.

23. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Have you tried talking to Windows then???

----------

Yes this…..

If Apple hadn't innovated when they first did with original iPhone - we would still be using Nokia….. which was a solid phone, but only good to making and receiving calls and nothing else…..

24. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Good thing I started with beta 1 :D now I am pretty much OK with iOS 7 and it's colours :)

25. MalusSylvestris macrumors member

No outcry from anyone I know. Minor quibbles, yes, but most people really like the design. I certainly do. Looking at iOS 6 screenshots now, after less than a day using 7, is like looking at photos of yourself wearing dorky clothes in the 80s.

People don't need glossy, shiny buttons these days – if they ever did. Plain text on unfussy backgrounds is so much easier on the eye.

Sure some of the colours could be toned down a tad, but the overall look is lovely IMHO.

----------

Do what I do - set up invert colours on a triple-tap of the home button. Instant night mode!