Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple shared a new video on its YouTube channel today that shows off selfies taken with the iPhone X.

The 38-second video cycles through a collection of selfies taken by iPhone X owners using the smartphone's front-facing TrueDepth lens system and Portrait Lighting effects. The ad also includes poetry by Muhammad Ali.

Portrait Lighting has been the focus of a few recent Apple videos, including two ads that acted as tutorials for the feature. More recently, one from earlier in January explained how Portrait Lighting offers studio quality lighting effects without a studio, while showing off various examples.

Since the iPhone X launched in early November, Apple has posted videos focusing on many of the smartphone's new features, like Face ID and Animoji. Apple even embraced the phenomenon of Animoji Karaoke in one video, showcasing how iPhone X owners can use the animated characters to lip sync to popular songs and send the clips to friends and family in Messages.

Article Link: Apple's New iPhone X Video Focuses on Selfies Taken With Portrait Lighting

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
They never look like this when I take photos. They must be using real studio lighting to sell fake studio lighting fx...
I was thinking the exact same thing. I get very good portrait photos when I use the camera on the back. The front camera of my iPhone X....no way. And I do think I know a thing or two about cameras and pictures..

GabrielMoro

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 17.22.49.png
They used a slashed face again in this one. See on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Such a bad filter, even the ones in this ad look like crap, can't even tell you how bad it looks when I do this.

I do love the Portrait-Natural Light though, maybe the Stage Light will become better over time, right now it sucks, would also help a lot if it was a "live" filter and not processed after the photo is taken.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
View attachment 747885 They used a slashed face again in this one. See on the right.
These look horrible. I almost think Apple is doing on purpose. If they keep showing photos like this they will become common place and acceptable to the masses. Zac Hall from 9to5Mac uses a portrait shot for his twitter photo. It looks like someone used scissors to cut around his head and tape it to a black background.
[doublepost=1516567130][/doublepost]
Ooooooh, lookat me. I soooo pretty. I take my picture and look at it over and over. Tell myself how pretty i am and send to everyone so they can tell me how pretty i am. I soooo pretty. Thanks Apple, look I soooo pretty. Can i send you photo too, Apple. I take pretty picture of myself with your phone and you must want to see me too. Ooooh sooo pretty. Mwah, mwah, mwah. Luv-a-ly. Apple need to set up text line, like when facetime first came out so i can share all my pretty me photos with Apple employees in China. We love you Apple, you make such pretty, durable products for professionals, like me. Mwaaaaaaah!
Hmmm...okay. She swiped left didn't she?

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016

Apple shared a new video on its YouTube channel today that shows off selfies taken with the iPhone X.

The 38-second video cycles through a collection of selfies taken by iPhone X owners using the smartphone's front-facing TrueDepth lens system and Portrait Lighting effects. The ad also includes poetry by Muhammad Ali.

Portrait Lighting has been the focus of a few recent Apple videos, including two ads that acted as tutorials for the feature. More recently, one from earlier in January explained how Portrait Lighting offers studio quality lighting effects without a studio, while showing off various examples.

Since the iPhone X launched in early November, Apple has posted videos focusing on many of the smartphone's new features, like Face ID and Animoji. Apple even embraced the phenomenon of Animoji Karaoke in one video, showcasing how iPhone X owners can use the animated characters to lip sync to popular songs and send the clips to friends and family in Messages.

Article Link: Apple's New iPhone X Video Focuses on Selfies Taken With Portrait Lighting
This is really shameful beta software! I own an X. Why make ads with this for a 1k phone?

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
They never look like this when I take photos. They must be using real studio lighting to sell fake studio lighting fx...

Why Is My Lawn Not As Green As My Neighbor’s?

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I never understand Apple advertising. They tend to focus on software exclusives to new models rather than on substantive factors like hardware improvements. The portrait features and even animoji could run on my 7 Plus if Apple wanted them to. I'm really not impressed.

I'm sure new portrait and selfie features are really exciting to the look-at-me generation but for a 40 something like me, not so much. If the software is all that distinguishes the X from previous phones, why the huge price jump?

Maybe I'm too old to get this advertising.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
As non-professional shots, these portraits aren't that bad imo. A definite improvement over what was possible before 'portrait lighting'.
As a non-professional who couldn't tell an okay shot from a good shot or a good shot from a great shot... these are terrible. They have a disconcerting quality that makes your eye tell your brain that, "Hey bud, there's something not quite right about what I'm lookin' at here. You wanna analyze it?" Then when your brain finds the mistakes you just can't unsee them. The software definitely needs more time in the oven.

Apple should really find out what the good folks over at Focos are doing with image processing.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure why anyone is surprised at how lame it looks. iOS has been designed as Fisher Price operating system since day one. Portrait lighting fits right in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.