Apple's New Marunouchi Store Opening Saturday, September 7 in Tokyo

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its new Apple Marunouchi store in Toyko is set to open on Saturday, September 7. Marunouchi is Apple's third store in Japan to open since last April, and it is the largest Apple Store in Japan.

Apple Marunouchi is located near the Imperial Palace and across from the historic Tokyo Station. Apple's senior vice president of Retail and People, Deirdre O'Brien, said that the Marunouchi store marks a significant moment in Apple's relationship with Japan.

"Marunouchi has amazing energy and our teams can't wait to welcome customers to our largest store in Japan for the first time on Saturday," O'Brien said.

According to Apple, the split-level Marunouchi store was built with a unique facade, featuring two-story vitrine windows that were constructed from "specially cast aluminum" to allow them to feature three-dimensional rounded corners.

The windows are a first in an Apple retail location and are designed to allow the "vibrant street life" of the surrounding area to connect with the interior of the store. Bamboo lines the interior of the windows.

Marunouchi will feature "world-class creators" leading Today at Apple sessions, kicking off with The Tokyo Creative Guild, which is a special 12-part series that Apple is introducing to celebrate the store's opening.

Customers can begin signing up for Today at Apple sessions at Marunouchi starting now. Apple says that later this month, its Fukuoka store will also be expanding to a new location, and the remodel of Apple Omotesand? will be completed.

Article Link: Apple's New Marunouchi Store Opening Saturday, September 7 in Tokyo

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Does Apple still give away t-shirts/swag on store openings? I’ll be in Tokyo on Saturday and if they’re going to be giving stuff away I’ll squeeze this in in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjini and MrUNIMOG

japanime

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Fantastic location for a new store. Because Marunouchi is primarily a financial district, the area used to be a concrete ghost town on the weekends. But it was redeveloped a decade or so ago to accommodate upscale retail, and is now a lovely place to spend a weekend window shopping, people watching, and walking around.

Last edited by a moderator:

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I expect a fancy store opening video to be played during Tuesday’s iPhone event.

Reactions: jjini

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Yeah, why hasn’t there been any news leaked out about it in ages? The redesign/renovation has now taken longer than the original design, hasn’t it?
2.5+ years! Crazy. I think at this point they’re thinking of timing the opening with when the new iPhones go on sale. It makes sense.

ESPressoX

Suspended
Jul 19, 2019
Wow!!
That sure is a pretty spiffy nifty store!! :apple::)

They need to bring stores back to Sendai and Sapporo now.
Bonus point for Aogashima store.

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
The exterior is beautiful. It's futuristic and modern. Unfortunately, It doesn't match the interior. It's cold and boring. The stores are severely lacking in color and warmth. It's basically the same design used for almost 20 years. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but still....

ds2000

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Is it just me that thinks the wooden benches / desks in the apple stores look incredibly out of date now?

Reactions: Rojaaemon

TheIntruder

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2008
The exterior is beautiful. It's futuristic and modern. Unfortunately, It doesn't match the interior. It's cold and boring. The stores are severely lacking in color and warmth. It's basically the same design used for almost 20 years. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but still....
The stores where they've renovated a historic building and kept the interiors are OK (Paris, Amsterdam, Covent, Carnegie etc.).

Of the modern stores, the Cotai store in Macau is probably my favorite.

My closest store still has the stainless steel panel motif. Now, those were cold and now dated.

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
...windows that were constructed from "specially cast aluminum" to allow them to feature three-dimensional rounded corners.
The windows...are designed to allow the "vibrant street life" of the surrounding area to connect with the interior of the store.​
I think that's down to transparency, a popular feature often found in windows, rather than anything to do with shape. Still, kudos to whoever managed to shoehorn "rounded corners" into an Apple design brief.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rojaaemon