Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After Apple unveiled Animoji when the iPhone X debuted last September, Samsung introduced its own version, the more human-like and customizable AR Emoji.

Not to be outdone, Apple in iOS 12 introduced Memoji, a new version of Animoji that can be customized to look just like you. Given the similarities between AR Emoji and Memoji, we thought we'd compare the two and give our readers an idea of what to expect when iOS 12 launches this fall.

Memoji, available in the Messages app and FaceTime on iOS 12, are cartoon-like customizable emoji characters that animate just like Animoji using the TrueDepth camera system in the iPhone X.

Because Animoji and Memoji require Apple's 3D camera capabilities to mimic facial expressions, the feature is limited to the iPhone X. Future devices, including 2018 iPad Pro models and iPhones are rumored to be adopting Face ID though. Samsung's AR Emoji are also limited and available only on Galaxy S9 devices.

Apple's Memoji feature offers up a blank face with a range of customizable options like skin color, hair color, hair style, head shape, eye shape and color, eye brows, nose and lips, ears, and facial hair and freckles.

All of these feature options can be combined to create a range of Memoji with different looks, and you can save dozens of Memoji creations.

While Apple starts you off with a blank face that can be customized to your liking, Samsung's AR Emoji feature has an option to scan your face and automatically create an emoji likeness of you that can then be customized further.

Samsung's AR Emoji look less cute and cartoonish and more like Bitmoji than Apple's version, with more humanoid facial features. AR Emoji can look a little creepier given their closer approximation to human facial features, but some may prefer the look.

Because Samsung doesn't use a 3D facial tracking system for AR Emoji like Memoji and Animoji, AR Emoji's ability to recognize and mimic facial expressions is not as advanced as Apple's technology.

AR Emoji can't compete when it comes to complex facial expressions, especially with the addition of wink and tongue tracking in iOS 12.

Do you prefer the look of Apple's Memoji or Samsung's AR Emoji? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Apple's New Memoji vs. Samsung's AR Emoji

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The reason folks are frustrated with this article is that you can't help but wonder what resources Apple spend on this crap? Yet, we can't get a simple update to the MacBook Air or Mac Mini. We can't get mouse support for iOS on iPads even though jail breaks have existed since iPad launch in 2010.

I guess this stuff appeals to someone, and Apple feels they need to keep creating new customizable emoji to compete. Seems like a huge waste of time to me......but, so does the obsession with thinner laptops in shades of rose gold sporting unusable keyboards that fail when exposed to a speck of dust. Misplaced priorities.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Apple might not always be the first to the market with a product/feature, but when they release it, it’s done properly!
*properly: A term that Apple defines, not the user. Because they know what is proper as opposed to what people want and need.

Reactions: falainber

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
And this is exactly why the iPhone X failed to meet sales projections. People pay $1000 for powerful features, not a cute trick or toy. Craig Federighi's "Ho Ho HO" became a rally cry for the iPhone X as a joke, not a serious smart phone.

I just don't think Steve Jobs would have been so giddy like a 13 year old girl about this stuff like Tim Cook & MacRumors is.

Meanwhile MacOS 10.13.6 and Mohave are sidebar stories. Just change the name of the site to iPhoneRumors.com or better yet, Giddytoys.com. :D

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
For those wondering, this is NOT a factor in why you don’t have _____ thing you want from Apple.
[doublepost=1528840101][/doublepost]Say what you want about the features, but Samsung’s looks like an absolute creepy joke in comparison to Apple.

The tech and software Samsung uses is not even on the same planet as Apple.

Lord, it’s bad on the Samsung.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I think they're a pretty cool feature. I don't use them constantly, but I use them and I think the Memojis will be pretty funny for FaceTime.

But more importantly, what you have to realize is Apple learns a lot from working on the tech behind Animoji/Memoji that can be useful later. For example, the team is using the same face-scanning hardware as FaceID, and also doing things like optimizing the 3D mesh models, adding rendering effects (like shadows from hats) and so forth. Whatever the XMoji team does will theoretically cross-pollinate other teams where whatever advances they make can be applied to similar or even entirely different applications (including on the Mac). The pay off is down the road but usually there's a lot more behind it than just the narrow application visible to users.

RexyStef

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2017
Apple might not always be the first to the market with a product/feature, but when they release it, it’s done properly!
This is so hilarious. Samsung copies Apple comments say “ Samsung copies Apple and they are so unoriginal”
Apple copies Samsung and these are the kind of comments that appear. Ridiculously biased. Competition and appropriating competitor’s ideas make phones better for the end user.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
And this is exactly why the iPhone X failed to meet sales projections. People pay $1000 for powerful features, not a cute trick or toy. Craig Federighi's "Ho Ho HO" became a rally cry for the iPhone X as a joke, not a serious smart phone.

I just don't think Steve Jobs would have been so giddy like a 13 year old girl about this stuff like Tim Cook & MacRumors is.

Meanwhile MacOS 10.13.6 and Mohave are sidebar stories. Just change the name of the site to iPhoneRumors.com or better yet, Giddytoys.com. :D
What is this nonsense you are spreading? What sales expectations? It is/was the #1 selling iPhone from Apple every week since release as of 5/1/18 when it was reported.

ASP was $800 and Apple has done a record $100B in iPhone sales in 2 quarters.

Facts:
  • Best selling iPhone every week since release
  • THE best selling phone in China
  • ASP of nearly $800
  • $100B in iPhone Revenue in 2 quarters, records.
Stop spreading nonsense. Apple doesn't report unit sales by model or give sales predictions for iPhone in general, let alone a particular model.

iPhone X was a rousing success and has carried Apple to record profits and an all time high stock price. Keep dreaming it was a failure.

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
And Samsung's lawyers are currently whining for a new trial on the grounds that "no reasonable jury" would have convicted their client of copyright infringement? Feh. Is there nobody east of the Suez Canal capable of having an original idea?

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
I think they're a pretty cool feature. I don't use them constantly, but I use them and I think the Memojis will be pretty funny for FaceTime.

But more importantly, what you have to realize is Apple learns a lot from working on the tech behind Animoji/Memoji that can be useful later. For example, the team is using the same face-scanning hardware as FaceID, and also doing things like optimizing the 3D mesh models, adding rendering effects (like shadows from hats) and so forth. Whatever the XMoji team does will theoretically cross-pollinate other teams where whatever advances they make can be applied to similar or even entirely different applications (including on the Mac). The pay off is down the road but usually there's a lot more behind it than just the narrow application visible to users.
Here we have the single posting in this thread on the subject e-mojis/animojis written by somebody with a functioning brain. Remember back when people were doing pictures of a cluster of metallic spheres reflecting each other's image? At the time that may have seemed like a colossal time-waster but the exercise helped pave the way for our sophisticated modern computer graphics. I expect these flexible animojis will also have some kind of unanticipated payoff down the road, and meanwhile they are a great way for Apple to showcase the tremendous graphics capability of their devices (not that I myself would bother to waste ten seconds on fooling around with them, but I do get the larger point).

Reactions: RichTF

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Actually, I was picturing the "Memoji" would work more like the AR Emoji; i.e., it should use the facial data it can scan and animate it, not make you build something from scratch.

Fun idea, but not very well executed, in my opinion.
While I hate this concept of using Avatars everywhere, I believe the whole point in building it yourself is that some people don’t want to look exactly like themselves.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
The reason folks are frustrated with this article is that you can't help but wonder what resources Apple spend on this crap? Yet, we can't get a simple update to the MacBook Air or Mac Mini. We can't get mouse support for iOS on iPads even though jail breaks have existed since iPad launch in 2010.

I guess this stuff appeals to someone, and Apple feels they need to keep creating new customizable emoji to compete. Seems like a huge waste of time to me......but, so does the obsession with thinner laptops in shades of rose gold sporting unusable keyboards that fail when exposed to a speck of dust. Misplaced priorities.
It's simple. Let me break it down for you.

Apple is smarter and knows their strategy better than anyone on this board. You are assuredly wrong that this is a case of "misplaced priorities."

Most likely, the time spent on Animoji or whatever other feature you think is a waste of time has no impact on the team working on things you do want. Apple is managing a business. They have all the data, all the knowledge possible, and all the money in the world to make whatever is part of the strategy a reality. Animoji might be the start of something else amazing they are going to do with the Facial Recognition tech. They may have other reasons for it.

You thinking this is an unimportant feature is well, unimportant. You don't know. The only clear thing is that Apple thinks it has value and is critical to their strategy, so it exists.

You'll get your updates to the other products too, but it might not be when your focus group of 1 wants or thinks is the best time. It might not even be ultimately what you wanted, but remember, your opinion is just 1 opinion with almost no data to support it.

I mean, Apple could make a lot of people happy by releasing a new iPhone today instead of September. Are they going to do that? No.

It's the old if you don't like it, get a Windows computer or an Android phone. I'm just so sick of everyone acting like these projects have a darn thing to do with not getting _____ software or ______ hardware update.

Apple is running a BUSINESS, and oh by the way, it's literally the best and most profitable business in the world. It is working, period. When it stops working, they'll change. Why change anything at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anyone really care about animated characters? No. So why the hype. How many people/resources is Apple employing on this that could be far better utilised elsewhere?
Because the public in general loves it even if you don’t. Do you realize how many flagship iPhones they’re going to sell because people want to send Animoji and Memoji to their friends and family? It isn’t insignificant like you claim.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

I get what you're saying. I really do. But, the bottom line is that Apple is most likely not resource constrained. It's not like they've taken developers/engineers off of the hardware teams to add these features.

Apple just isn't making the Mac a priority. They care far more about capturing the most market share for mobile devices.

bendodson

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Memoji, available in the Messages app and FaceTime on iOS 12, are cartoon-like customizable emoji characters that animate just like Animoji using the TrueDepth camera system in the iPhone X.

Because Animoji and Memoji require Apple's 3D camera capabilities to mimic facial expressions, the feature is limited to the iPhone X. Future devices, including 2018 iPad Pro models and iPhones are rumored to be adopting Face ID though.

This isn’t actually true. Animoji and Memoji do not use the TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID. This can be proved both by covering up the TrueDepth camera (Animoji still work) or by trying to use them in low light (doesn’t work but would if using TrueDepth). It is highly likely that Animoji could work on something like the iPhone 8 but Apple simply chose to make it an iPhone X exclusive feature.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
This isn’t actually true. Animoji and Memoji do not use the TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID. This can be proved both by covering up the TrueDepth camera (Animoji still work) or by trying to use them in low light (doesn’t work but would if using TrueDepth). It is highly likely that Animoji could work on something like the iPhone 8 but Apple simply chose to make it an iPhone X exclusive feature.

Well, gosh, they wouldn't do that, would they? ;)

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Well, gosh, they wouldn't do that, would they? ;)

Right... So they are lying.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht208190
Now, go back to wherever you hide under.

Reactions: saudade
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.