Apple's Newest Mac Pro Turns Five Years Old Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today marks the fifth anniversary of Apple's last update to the Mac Pro, as reflected in the MacRumors Buyer's Guide.

[​IMG]
    Mac Pro from 2013 to present

Apple released the second-generation Mac Pro on December 19, 2013, starting at $2,999, and it remains that price today after some reshuffling of configurations despite having over five year old hardware, including up to a 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 64GB of ECC RAM, 1TB of SSD storage, and dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs.

Last year, during a roundtable discussion about the Mac Pro with John Gruber and a few other reporters, Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi admitted that the current Mac Pro's so-called "trash can" design has a limited thermal capacity that doesn't always meet the needs of the most demanding workflows:
    Fortunately, the long wait of 1,826 days and counting for an all-new Mac Pro should finally be over by the end of next year.

Last year, at the same Mac Pro roundtable discussion, Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller revealed that the company is "completely rethinking the Mac Pro," with work underway on a new version that will be Apple's "highest-end, high-throughput desktop system" designed for its "demanding pro customers."

Schiller said the new Mac Pro will be a "modular" system and accompanied by a new Thunderbolt Display successor:
    Apple briefly reiterated its plans in a press release about the iMac Pro in December 2017:
    It isn't often that Apple pre-announces new products in its pipeline, but there were growing concerns the company was no longer focused on professional users, to the point of Schiller apologizing to and reassuring customers:
    In April, Apple confirmed that the new Mac Pro will be released in 2019, but it didn't say exactly when in the year.

[​IMG]
    Mac Pro from 2006 to 2012

There is some debate as to how "modular" the new Mac Pro will truly be, but many are hopeful that Apple will return to a truly upgradeable tower design like 2006 to 2012 models of the Mac Pro, which can be opened with a lever on the back. Others will be quick to dismiss that idea as wishful thinking.

Apple has yet to preview the design, features, tech specs, or pricing of the new Mac Pro, details that will very likely be held until WWDC 2019 in June or another Apple event at some point next year, so we'll have to keep waiting for now.

Article Link: Apple's Newest Mac Pro Turns Five Years Old Today

2. freezelighter macrumors 6502

freezelighter

Who needs a Mac?
    The next iPhone XI Pro will have a size of iPad Mini.
    And iPads already replaced Macs.
    :p

3. Stiss macrumors 6502a

4. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I’m excited to see what they have in store for the Mac Pro. I’m in the market for an iMac and think they’ll have a nice update to that as well in 2019. Here’s hoping!

5. iabacus macrumors member

iabacus

6. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Man, that design sure didn’t age well. Will be interesting to see how Apple reimagines the new Mac Pro form factor, but I think we can safely say that we will never be seeing a rehash of the old tower design.

7. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure professionals would be perfectly fine if they dust off the cheese grater design, and maybe make it space grey. They're less concerned about "oooo shiny" than consumers are.

8. aloshka macrumors 65816

I loved it too! If the internals weren't outdated so bad, I'd get it. If anything this should have been the mac mini.

9. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

All those waiting for a 2019 Mac Pro are going to be disappointed. It won’t be truly modular, it won’t feature Nvidia GPUs (important for a huge part of the pro market) and it’ll cost an absolute bomb.

10. chainmailr, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

chainmailr macrumors member

chainmailr

I've been using the 2009 model for a while now, upgrading components as needed. It's been perfect. Can run the latest macOS. The 2013 model was a screwup.

I don't care if the regular tower is too "normal" for Apple. There's a reason everyone else makes them.

11. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

12. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

13. pika2000 macrumors 601

If I were Apple, i would just reuse the old cheese grater design, update some of the ports to Thunderbolt 3, color it space gray, and call it a day. People will be happy, and Apple just saved a ton of money. Let Ive design the next iPhone or something. :D

14. Bacillus, Dec 19, 2018

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Trashcan: disfunctional MacPro design - and the start of dyslexic MacPro strategy

15. fokmik macrumors 68040

16. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

iPads are for people who don't do work :D

17. Bacillus, Dec 19, 2018

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

That’s indeed what should have happened in the first place.
    There’s a manufacturer at every Chinese corner that can build such casing.
    What they’re waiting for ?

18. chainmailr macrumors member

chainmailr

It did, and it sounded nice too. Aka you couldn't hear it. The "thermal core" design was efficient. Except there are reasons nobody else does that.

19. djgamble macrumors 6502a

How much can you get a 2012 Mac Pro for these days?

With kids I can only ever justify 2nd hand Macs these days. If I could get a 7 year old quad-core Xeon for like $500-1000 and put a $500 GPU in it I reckon I'd be pimpin'!!!

20. calstanford, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2018

calstanford macrumors regular

Apple gives zero ****s about the Pro market. No one needs five years to update a computer. Especially one made out of standard components you can buy from intel + nvidia/amd + samsung etc. Sorry.

21. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

let's hope it's not a late 2019 product. Creatives are jumping ship left and right, if Apple is really interested in keeping those as customers and not just sell to die hard fanboys, they need a product sooner than later

22. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

"If we've had a pause in upgrades and updates, we're sorry for that"
    How many years does it take to count as a pause? Any pause experts out there?

23. Nozuka macrumors 68020

24. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

It's safe to say Apple doesn't care much about pros, they have left the building already - what they must do is win them back with a solid offer.

I just won't keep my hopes up tho, the new Mac Pro is years late and only keeps getting pushed back.

25. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

I cannot wait for the new modular Mac Pro. It's the #1 product that I've been wanting for the last two years, more than any other electronic or non-electronic device. The next Apple event can't come soon enough!