Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Apple is more interested in getting the iPhone camera to a level where it can replace point and shoot devices, which I think it's doing a fine job of. Certainly there are some places I'd prefer a point and shoot, but in most of those places, I'd take a DSLR camera and have an decent camera phone.

The market for point and shot devices is getting smaller and smaller.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
>iPhone 4s
>A prosumer camera

whathe****amireading.exe.jpg

This isn't 4chan dude. Also, I agree with *LTD* here, the iPhone 4 is Apple's shot at making cameras. There's no need for them to make another camera to detract from the appeal of the iPhone (which coincidently takes amazing pictures).

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
If anything Digital Technology has weakened our ability to simply "Point, Compose & Shoot"

Go to the Camera section in this link.

With digital today, no one, not even I, can figure out how to take a picture anymore. If I spend half an hour with a camera offline I can set it up to do a good job in the field, but if conditions change, it takes another half hour to go through 10 menu trees to catch everything that needs to be reset.

How did our three manual controls become automatic, and then downgrade themselves to 1,645 manual menu settings?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/simplicity.htm

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
A compact camera with an APSC-sized sensor, running iOS. I think this will be Apple's next big thing.

If it ever happens, I know many casual but serious photographers like myself would sell their Canon/Nikon, etc gear and get something from Cupertino.

Sure, Apple would need to make glass too, but this would be circumvented if they stuck (at first) just with a single prime lens.

Imagine a Fuji X100 style camera by Apple, running iOS. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

I wonder if others see the magic here?

No way this will happen. Not only would Apple make the design slim and sleek somehow, but they simply don't have the technology behind the lenses and image sensors. Not to mention photogs have thousands of dollars invested in a camera system whether its Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc and no one (except maybe new photogs who think gear matters the most) would switch over. I know I wouldn't, I have way too much invested in Canon's systems and currently my setup lets me do everything I need to do and more.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I don't want a touch screen on my camera. I want physical dials for setting the aperture, shutter speed and ISO. I want manual zoom (or no zoom) and full time manual focus. I don't want an iOS toy. I want a camera. To this end I am actively trying to buy a Leica M3 on eBay.

Sure, and M3 would be nice, but you'll go broke buying lenses for the thing. Take a look at vintage Konica gear. "Back in the day" their lenses were absolutely top-notch. I've got a 1958 Konica III rangefinder that takes excellent photos. Cost me $100.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Sure, and M3 would be nice, but you'll go broke buying lenses for the thing. Take a look at vintage Konica gear. "Back in the day" their lenses were absolutely top-notch. I've got a 1958 Konica III rangefinder that takes excellent photos. Cost me $100.

Already own a 50mm Summicron...

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Apple is more interested in getting the iPhone camera to a level where it can replace point and shoot devices, which I think it's doing a fine job of. Certainly there are some places I'd prefer a point and shoot, but in most of those places, I'd take a DSLR camera and have an decent camera phone.

The market for point and shot devices is getting smaller and smaller.

Exactly. In the last keynote when they introduced the iPhone 4S they said something along the lines of the camera being improved the point that you don't need a separate P&S camera.

I don't think Apple cares about the pro camera market. They care about kids, teens, soccer moms, etc. being able to take a quick photo on their phone and then do whatever they want to do with it on the web immediately through iOS. The point is to eliminate the need for the consumer to have two devices (a phone and a camera) and to make the workflow of getting your pictures "in the wild" faster.

Old method:
1. Take pictures with P&S camera
2. Download pics from card or camera itself to computer (usually done at a later time)
3. Store and maybe edit photos with iPhoto (done only after manual transfer)
4. Print for physical use if desired
5. Post to internet (FB, Flickr, etc.) or use digitally as desired

New method:
1. Take picture with iPhone
2. Edit photo if desired on the phone without transfer needed (immediately)
3. One touch posting to the net (immediately) or print if desired
*No need for manual transfer as through iCloud all of your photos are automatically backed up and distributed to all of your devices

All of these changes are targeted at the consumer market. Pro's have their own established workflows that typically involve manual editing on a professional computer rig with professional software. They generally have a solid back up strategy that involves multiple layers so as to minimize the risk of loss due to failure. Sure professionals like to improve things by making them easier or faster, but they get paid for their time, attention to detail, and their experience. It's not about cool gadgets or iOS integration, it's about using the professionl grade gear that compliments your skills and gets the job done best.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
That said, the idea of Apple getting into the camera business isn't necessarily crazy but it wont be aiming at "Pros". Apple has gradually been pushing the Pro market aside for years in favor of catering to "average consumers" so the argument goes both ways.

Apple's philosophy and perhaps even their very existence has always been about catering to the "common people". They were one of the first to bring desktop computers to the masses instead of being limited to businesses and universities. They popularized desktop publishing (innovations in WYSIWYG software, fonts, printers) so people could do design work themselves instead of hiring professional designers . They popularized video and photo editing where previously these were "professionals only" requiring expensive software. They brought smartphones to the masses where previously only business people could afford or justify them.

So I think they'll continue to improve the camera in the iPhone 4, perhaps to the point where it rivals a high-end P&S, but they're not really interested in catering to the professional or prosumer market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.