Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wudja.cudja

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2003
Rochester Kent England
Hi. .. :D

I think the Mac Market share could be much much ((BIGGER)).. .. IF

They had a lower spec 15" MacBook. Maybe had a play with interchangeable cases / covers like you get on mobile phones. '99 to 2001 was a great time of change with vibrant colours, cute angles, style and drop dead gorgeous Macs..

Gone was the beige box.. ..

But now seven years on its just been replaced with Silver, white and black.

I want a simple "MacFunBook" for surfing from the sofa. Maybe take on holiday / trips out so i could offload my SD cards from my camera. Watch a DVD or type up some trip reports. I don't need a Ferrari, i want an Austin Healy :D

15" Glossy widescreen.
Dual Core 1.6GHz would be plenty.
Basic graphics card.
Express Card Type slot would be real handy so we could add a card reader or bluetooth or whatever comes along in the future...
I want a funky case. ... something different like we had way back with the iBook G3.
There's loads of other little ideas i've had for Macs like a little "slot in" mouse housed under or in the side. A pop up iSight so it can swivel 360' and not just face forward.

And i want it for under £500 ($950) :eek: yes under £500 ($950)....

I have an iMac that i do my stuff on.. and now i'm looking for a laptop to go mobile and get away from the desk but, i'm not going to spend £1,299 ($1,999) when i can get pretty much what i want out of a Sony VAIO for £499 ($980)

Yes i know i'm putting a MacBook Pro against a very basic 15.4" PCee but, that's what i want. I'm a fella and my family genes gave me big fingers and the tiny MacBooks are just too small..

VGN-NR21J/S £499

or

MacBok Pro £1299.00

It's going to be a VAIO and one less sale for the Apple figures.. .. :rolleyes:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
TBH I don't really want it to get bigger.

The more people there is the more risk there is for people getting malware for OS X.

I don't want to mess around with AV and stuff.

10% and I'd be happy.

wudja.cudja

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2003
Rochester Kent England
TBH I don't really want it to get bigger.

The more people there is the more risk there is for people getting malware for OS X.

10% and I'd be happy.

Hi Concorde.. .. :)

All this stuff i read time and time again about market share and malware is a no-brainer.. ..

I reckon there's a tonne of young geniuses out there trying right now to be the first.. PCees got hit because it was dead easy and they could.. ..

Do you not think having the status of being the first to hit Apple good and hard is a real draw.

Not only that but, Apple are already losing out to the many that have the OS running on PC's right now. If Apple don't get in there with a lower spec, adaptable laptop someone else will.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
And this is estimated by who?

FORTUNE MAGAZINE said:
According to IDC, Apple’s worldwide market share grew from 2.4% in 2006 to 2.9% in 2007. (See chart below.) Munster is conservatively modeling global market share to remain flat this year, but he notes that enterprise sales account for 70% of the worldwide market, a segment Apple is not aggressively targeting. In the consumer market, where Apple does compete, he estimates the Mac’s share is now 10% worldwide and an impressive 21% in the U.S.
LINK

14% of all U.S. sales in February is great and all, but when it comes to worldwide, Apple is barely a bleep on Microsoft's radar. Its market share is comparable to that of the Zune, which I have only seen 2 in real life.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
You sure you don't work for Microsoft? You sure sound like a Microsoft "fanboi". I'm sure you know they're busy telling their customers -- general public and corporate accounts alike -- "Wait until Windows 7!" I'm not kidding, that seems to be their latest strategy. Not exactly the mentality nor mindset of a responsible company.
That may be your perception, but all Microsoft has said about Windows 7 is its "2010" timeframe. They've also said Vista is a work in progress. I haven't seen them telling anyone to wait for Windows 7 to make up for their mistakes for Vista.

Vista is Microsoft's latest excuse for more smoke-and-mirrors marketing, nothing more. Whatever architectural changes they've made have come out of desperation as more and more "civilians" as well as professional IT people are being shoe-horned and brick-baseball-batt'd into the realization that a Microsoft OS is a liability, not an asset. Even some heretofore drank-the-kool-aid-Microsoft-head school districts are beginning to see this. And no doubt "Windows 7" will be, too.
Oh please. There are more Vista machines than Macs, so if the problem was as serious as [apple] fanbois like to make it, the uproar would have been a lot louder than what they got. Im curious, when is the last time you've used Vista?

Ah ha, but after SP1 and XP's SP3, Vista is kicking XP's butt 40% + slower. So, again, who cares? For the moment, Microsoft can still get away with shovelling whatever crap they want out the door to the general public. So frankly none of my comments -- or anyone elses' -- are going to make a difference in either Microsoft's strategy or the buying public's purchase decision-making processes.
Oh please. Lets look back about 7 years:

Early Xp Sales Less Than Stellar
Readers: Window Xp Isn't Worth the Trouble
Will Xp Mark the End of Forced Upgrades?
Xp Won't Boost PC Sales
Windows XP Sales Lag

Yet look at it now... Its a cycle. People are stubborn.

Like, oh, for instance the last prior release of Microsoft Office? The then-current version of iTunes? C'mon, the list goes on and on, and we're only talking about recent apps. Clearly, architecturally-obsolesced platforms (8-bit DOS apps, 16-bit Win1-2-3.x apps, Win32-non-NT apps) should logically have their support deprecated and eventually dropped entirely. I'm not arguing that point. So please, quit painting the picture as one of only people with "anciently-old" apps breaking as being the primary source of complaints.
Wait, so iTunes not working was Microsoft's fault?

And do I need to even bring up the recent class-action suit vis-a-vis "Vista ready" PCs not truly being fully capable of running Vista?
Actually, heres a bit of info you should know...

Cnet said:
Microsoft email reveals that Microsoft was pressured by Intel to phony-up the Vista requirements. Intel wanted to meet qurterly earning.
LINK
Basically, Intel didn't launch the mobile version of the 945 chipset until Jan 06, and didn't think that it would be able to get enough into the market before the launch of "Vista Ready". Intel then worried that if only 945 were "Vista Ready" then demand for its then popular 915 chipset would decline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.