Apple's Plans for Upcoming Siri Speaker Remain Unclear in Regard to Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Amazon having launched the Echo Show, a new Alexa-enabled smart speaker that comes equipped with a 7-inch screen, Bloomberg has shared a little tidbit on Apple's own speaker plans, making it clear that there's still no concrete information on whether Apple's speaker will include a display.

In a piece outlining Amazon's new speaker, Bloomberg references a comment made recently by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, where he said that a voice assistant in a device without a screen doesn't "suit many situations."
    Rumors of Apple's work on some kind of in-home Siri-based smart speaker to compete with the Amazon Echo first surfaced in early 2016, but while the speaker is said to be close to launching, details remain scant.

[​IMG]
    The new Amazon Echo Show​

We've heard it will feature Siri integration and focus heavily on sound quality, with "excellent acoustics performance" and some form of Beats technology. Design details shared in late April said it would feature a Mac Pro-style concave top with built-in controls and a "fat" body with speaker mesh covering the majority of the device, but no display was mentioned.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said the speaker has a 50 percent chance of debuting at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference coming in June, and as Bloomberg first mentioned in September (and reiterates again today) the speaker is currently being tested within the homes of Apple employees, so it may not be long before we have more concrete details about the device.

Based on today's Bloomberg report, Apple's speaker will have one benefit over the Amazon Echo and Google Home - native Apple Music integration. Amazon devices chief Dave Limp told Bloomberg that while Amazon would "love to have Apple" the company is "not super big" on allowing Apple Music integration.

For more details on Apple's upcoming Siri speaker, make sure to check out our dedicated roundup, which aggregates all of the information we've heard about the device so far. More information about Amazon's Echo Show can be found in our launch article.

Article Link: Apple's Plans for Upcoming Siri Speaker Remain Unclear in Regard to Display

2. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Apple Home 2 in 2018 :p

(Yes, thats my predicted name for the speaker)

3. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I think it will, if they plan to release a speaker without one they probably wouldn't let Phil Schiller talk about how they should have screens (or possibly talk about it at all a meaning they may not be releasing a smart speaker).
    The only way I would imagine them doing it without a screen is by putting the content on a nearby Apple Device screen. But the... what's the point in making a standalone device?

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

oh look, amazon released a desktop phone to complete against the iPhone. It seems to do less than the iPhone although the personal assistant is better.

5. Ventilatedbrain macrumors regular

A smart speaker , I think that's enough smart things ( says the guy who will probably get it ) but isn't this gonna be like an old iPad just sitting in the living room ?

6. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I don't see the point of the screen unless it's $99 or so. The Echo Show, at $229, is nothing more than a severely limited tablet with a stand built into it. It's just too expensive for what it is.

7. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

What if he's still saying the truth.

You: what's the weather today?
    Apple Home Device: (Voice) It will be 72 degrees today.
    Iphone: Screen lights up immediately on your iPhone / iPad what ever is being used showing the weather and other contextual information.

Your iDevice can now extend and act as the "screen" to the Apple Home Device for further reading and interaction.

???

8. maxxodd macrumors member

I'm just wondering what the sound quality will be like after Ivie makes the speaker and screen only 3mm thick.

9. konqerror macrumors 6502

"Hey Siri, what's the weather today"
    Already have that feature.

10. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Seems rather pointless to me when you can already set up an iPhone or iPad with "Hey Siri" activation. Maybe if they can come up with a very attractive price point it would sell, but considering this is Apple, I am doubtful of that.

11. bluush macrumors 6502

I'd probably rather have an Amazon version over an Apple version of something like this. Ordering stuff direct from Amazon with a voice command is huge, and more practical for a device like this where it's likely situated in the kitchen or living room.

Plus Alexa > Siri

12. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

Really? Sigh.

It was an example use case.

Also. what if your phone is upstairs and you are downstairs? that's a rhetorical question BTW.

13. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

As others have alluded to already, I don't see the point of a screen for a Siri speaker with a screen. That's why I have a screen on my iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch.

Why would I bother to walk over to see a screen on a speaker? I thought the whole idea of the speaker was so that I wouldn't have to walk anywhere. I can just as easily walk over and pick up my smartphone or tablet if I need to look at something.

I already have a speaker with a screen on it. It's called a television.

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

My Apple Watch does it too.

15. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

why would anyone want to use Siri at the home for?

16. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

When Siri works, its great. Trouble is, it doesn't work far too often. Just yesterday, another dumbass response:

Me: "Hey Siri, what time is the Caps game tonight?"
    Siri: "The Washington Capitals don't play today. Their next game is Wednesday at 7:30pm."

Capitals played the Penguins at 7:30 last night, by the way.

17. elvislives macrumors regular

elvislives

Dear Apple Please do not copy that "Ugly overpriced Thing"... thanks!

18. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Your Apple Watch asks rhetorical questions?:D:p Innovative.:)

19. TurboPGT! Suspended

"While marketing chief Phil Schiller recently talked up the benefits of having a screen on a voice-activated device, it's not clear whether the Apple version will in fact have one."

Anyone who seriously believes this sentence does not have their head screwed on straight.

20. wigby macrumors 68000

This would presumably be a feature for your household, not just you. Now if everyone in your household has their own iOS device, it's a harder sell. But if you own an Echo or Google Home, you know there is an appreciable difference between between pulling your phone out of your pocket so "hey Siri" can hear you and then you can hear the response clearly compared to just speaking into the air and listening. Hey Siri is technically hands free but I've never found it to work that well in the real world and the listening experience can't really compare to a full sized speaker that is AC powered.

21. fokmik macrumors 68040

no screen...it will be not so different from apple tv4

22. GKThursday macrumors regular

GKThursday

Exactly! Siri will have to learn a bit more, but it could become the Jeeves we've always wanted.

You: what's the weather today?
    Apple Home Device: (Voice) It will be 72 degrees today, there may be some rain during your run this afternoon.
    You: Send the hourly forecast to my iPhone/iPad/AppleTV.
    (look at AppleTV to see when the rain is)
    You: Move my run to 5PM today.
    Apple Home Device: (Voice) I've moved your run to 5PM today, Should I set a reminder?
    You: Yes, thanks.

23. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

I don't understand logic of apple's making a Siri speaker themselves when they already own a speaker/headphone company. Why not just integrate Siri into beats pill?

As for the screen, I think Schiller' comments could be speaking to the future of the Apple TV. Yes it currently has Siri but you need the remote. The Apple TV needs Hello Siri functionality and a smart speaker that works when the tv is off, otherwise, Siri plays on tv speakers.

24. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

You make waaayyyy too much sense. Extra weight, power, cost, and redundant with all the other screens around the house.

25. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Well, I'm sure Apple's solution will definitely be better looking than This fugly Echo Show