Apple's ProCare: A Review

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by metroid87706, Apr 18, 2009.

1. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

:apple: ProCare: Priority support at the Apple Store

What is ProCare?
    ProCare membership starts with a complete setup of your Mac. Then stay up and running with premium benefits like same-day service at the Genius Bar, rapid repairs, yearly tune-ups, and more. All for just $99 per year, for up to three computers.​

ProCare's Features:
    Complete Setup: Buy a Mac at an Apple Retail Store, and we’ll transfer your mail, calendar, address book, photos, music, movies, and other files from your old computer (PC or Mac) to your new Mac. We’ll also install any additional software, too. Turn on your Mac, and you’re ready to go.

Advanced Reservations: Schedule appointments for technical support at the Genius Bar up to 14 days in advance. Since only ProCare members get access to every available time slot, it’s easy to get a time that works for you.

Fast Track: If you have a quick technical question or need to drop off a repair, just flash your ProCare card. You’ll skip right to the head of the line at the Genius Bar — and we’ll take care of the rest.

Rapid Repairs: You rely on your Mac and need it in top working order. So if you ever bring it in for repair, you’ll want it back right away. As a ProCare member you get, “Next in Line, First on the Bench” service on all in-store repairs.

Yearly Tune-Up: Bring in your Mac and we’ll run system diagnostics, update your Apple software, even clean your monitor and keyboard. That’s pretty much everything needed to make sure your Mac is in pristine condition, and it’s available to ProCare members at no additional cost.

Backup Consultation: When you’re a ProCare member, you’ll get the help you need to protect all your files. Our Geniuses will find the right solution to keep your Mac up and running with consistent, reliable backups.

------------------------------------------------------

My Experience: Complete Setup
    When I got my new MacBook Pro, I wanted it to be just like my old MacBook Pro was when I traded it in. So what did they do for me? They swapped the hard drive for me, installed all the updates, fixed any issues I was having, and sent me off. Took 10 minutes, and its running better than ever before!​

My Experience: Advanced Reservations
    When I needed to take my MacBook Pro in for a graphics card related issue, I needed to get it checked out, but I couldn't get in any time soon, and wanted to do it next week. That was the easy part. I visited www.apple.com/retail/procare, picked my Apple Store and logged in. I picked Tech Support, and picked the Thursday next week and what time I wanted to go. Since every time slot is available to ProCare members, I got the time I wanted. That day, I went into the store and was greeted by a Concierge, and was asked if I had a reservation. I simply replied, "Yes. I registered a ProCare reservation for today." I was looked up on the list, and was immediately helped.​

My Experience: Fast Track
    Amazing. No reservation made, I walked right into the store and flashed my ProCare card to a concierge, and was put into the "standby" queue. Walked around the store, but not for long. Two minutes after talking to the concierge, I was approached by the Manager, and was assisted up to the Genius Bar and was assisted by a Genius and the Manager himself. After a few minutes of talking, my problem was resolved, and I was assisted for the rest of my session at the store by the Manager.​

------------------------------------------------------

I have not yet used the Rapid Repair service yet, as my MBP is brand new and doesn't need service just yet, but it sounds promising.
    I also have not yet used the Yearly Tune-Up or Backup Consolation, as I won't use the Tune-Up until later this year, and I may never use the Backup Consultation. I'll just get a Time Capsule or something and use Time Machine.

That's my review of the Apple ProCare Service. Hope this helps somebody on a purchase decision.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thanks for sharing :) I've always wondered about the procare.

The set up thing doesn't really entice me because i prefer doing that stuff myself..it's fun!

But the fast track I gotta say is what is best about Procare. The only thing is it's only worth it if your mac has issues and you need to go in?

3. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Yeah. I mean, not all Macs are perfect, so the benefit of this is to to get in fast, get it into repair fast, and get it back to you same day. (With my last MBPs repairs, this is why I got this. No more sending it to Texas for repairs.)

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yeah i hear you. I couldn't bear to be without my mac for days as well if it has to be sent to Texas. I think the fast repair service (i believe it's same day if they have the parts in stock) is worth it. Especially if you need your mac for work.

one question: what does the procare card look like? fancy glossy black with your name on it? :D

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just wondering, but they swapped the harddrives in your MacBook? Was the harddrive the same spec - same size, same speed, etc? Just sounds a bit strange.

6. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Yes. In fact, I asked them to do it. They could have transfered all of my data, but I was short on time. :D

The ProCare card is really cool. Its a matte black card, and the Apple on it, when held up to light, glows like the Apple on the back of a MacBook. No name on it, just a membership number on the back.

Attached Files:

7. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

where do you buy it? i cant find it on apple's site. do you have to buy it in store?

8. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

I believe so.

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thanks for taking pics. It looks amazingly cool :) esp. the glowing apple

metroid: yes you buy it in the store. Just ask anyone working there that you want procare and their eyes will light up and you'll be set.

10. yukio macrumors regular

i have to say - the ability to get priority support when an unexpected event comes up has been the biggest boon for me when it comes to ProCare.

when i'm home in SF, the flagship store usually has enough Geiniuses so that anyone can be helped when they walk in - albeit with a longish wait.

but out in the boonies, when traveling for work and the only Apple Store is one of the mall-based ones - Geniuses are often booked solid for the whole day. and being able to walk in and still get help - not to mention in 5-10 minutes - makes it worthwhile in spades.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

So, am I right in saying that this is actually cheaper than applecare when covering multiple computers?

Also, what constitutes a "computer"? Apple TVs, ipods, iphones, airport express, time capsule etc. don't count?

12. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

No your wrong. Apple care is the warranty, pro care is merely a priority service.

13. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Yep. When I got mine, they guy looked at me oddly, and said "Great choice" and got me my card and rang me up. I take it they don't sell many ProCare subscriptions. :rolleyes:
    But I'm glad I did! :D

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Ok, I misunderstood. So, it sounds like a good option if you're completely computer illiterate. I can also see it being handy for mission critical systems.

15. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

This is not a warranty. It's just a service to get you helped faster in the store, get repairs done faster, etc.

Also, by three computers, they mean Mac's. No iPod's, iPhone's, :apple:TV's, etc.

16. acurafan macrumors 6502a

the black card would look better just all black - without the white logo.

17. yukio macrumors regular

I haven't registered my gear with ProCare - but I've come in with iPhone issues and have had the same "front of line" benefit that I experience for anything else.

18. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Well, the 3 Mac's part is for the Tune-Ups, Rapid Repairs & Complete Setup.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

One of the reasons I got ProCare was I got pissed that someone decided they would cut in line; then I promptly bought ProCare and told them to piss off. :p

Of course I was going to buy it anyways, but it was just another reason :D

I think they upped it to 5 computers now. As with FastTrak, it's not available in all stores.

20. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/
    Says 3 Mac's, and so does my Welcome booklet. :confused:
    Also, for the record, Fast Track is thankfully in my store. (Partridge Creek, Clinton Township, MI)

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

22. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

This service sounds like a must if you use your mac in any business setting. Thanks for the post!

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's weird; the sales rep had told me it was for 5 computers; of course I haven't owned that many Macs at the same time yet…

When I said it's not available in all stores, I meant that the manager has the discretion not to allow FastTrak if he/she determines the store is too busy; one of these is the 5th Avenue store in NYC; it's busy all the time and if you try to get a standby appointment with FastTrak, you are told it's not available.

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This is interesting, i always wondered what the use of Procare was other than for satisfying some Mac owners narcsissm, as Apple always seem vague about exactly what it provides for such a cost, however i still think they could offer better value for money, its not exactly as if a Mac really needs a yearly "tune up" anyway.

25. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Thanks for that. Sounds like it was good service. Is pro care different from Apple Care?