Apple's product design or Samsung's?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, May 5, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

In my opinion, both companies create some of the best product designs. I have a UNB8000 Samsung LED TV and the design is almost better than my 27" iMac or iPad.

So, in general, which company do you think has better product design? If Apple were to make a TV, do you think it would beat Samsung's style?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Apple and Samsung are my favorite tech companies. IMO they are both great, I prefer Apple for computers and Samsung for cellphones (and possibly TVs too). I don't like Apple's iDevices much, and I don't like Samsung's computers much (they run windows) so the mix works great! :D

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's funny you say that because I also feel the two complement each other. I rely on Samsung for my dumb phone because i'm personally against owning a smartphone.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

TV is a commodity, and as such I buy what is the best. Its a basic black rectangle. As long as the picture is display and sound comes from it. I don't care what logo is on the front.

I don't think I'd be willing to pay 1.5 to 2x the normal price of a tv just because it has the apple logo on it, i.e., apple tax. I happen to own a samsung tv and it works, but I've never really even looked at the design. I'd rather look at what's displaying instead

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its good to have variety of products from different companies. To have everything Apple is a little silly.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Apple iPhone, and MBP. But a samsung hi def TV for the win! I love it.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple's laptops are the best. They're designed well, built well, and I believe the specs are good for the price (IMO).

For everything else, I get what is best at the time. I got an iPhone on contract almost 2 years ago because there was nothing else available in Australia (HTCs were Ok, but had a USB headphone). Currently, I don't think iPhones are that great. They're reliable, but I dislike the UI and everything else.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Exactly my thoughts.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I was on the fence until this was posted. Apple is deffo the way forward with everything. :rolleyes:

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm pretty sure that the same could be said for Apple. A computer is a box that does what you tell it, there's no reason to pay 1.5 to 2x the normal price of a computer just because it has the apple logo on it, i.e., apple tax. Yet people do just that all the time.

And before you go saying that Apple's are "different", remember for most people it's the ease of use of an Apple computer vs. a Windows PC. My family's 48" Samsung TV is beautiful. but the remote has 786543523 buttons on it. If Apple could make a TV that was just as beautiful, but with 10 buttons on it, I'm pretty sure my father would buy that instead. Even if it was 1.5x more. TV's, Computers, Cars, Light fixtures, they're all commodities, but we can still differentiate.

11. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I'm not really talking about the logo, more the design. Even if Samsung's TV did not have a Samsung logo, it would still have the best design in my opinion. And, the logo does add some beauty to it.

I think if you buy something, you should not only think of the mere specs and what it does, you should also see how the product presents itself. I would personally pay more for something with a very classy looking bezel, because it changes the atmosphere in my home for the better.

12. jason221 macrumors 6502

So am I not entitled to the opinion that I think Apple's product design is better than Samsung's? I suppose I didn't answer the question about the TV, but I think that Apple's computer and phone design is better than Samsung's.

13. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

Like them both. Apple products in general are more flattering than Samsung as a whole.. but I find the Samsung Galaxy S II smashing.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

+1! Its amazing!