Apple's 'Project Titan' Car Research May Be Headquartered at Leased Sunnyvale Campus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's "Project Titan", its secretive and much-rumored electric car project, may involve a campus leased by Apple last year that is located in Sunnyvale, California, just a few minutes from the company's main 1 Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino, reports AppleInsider.

According to "two people with knowledge of the project", the company has been receiving shipments that may be related to the project's development at the Sunnyvale address, though it remains unclear if that location is indeed the headquarters of the car project.
    Apple's presence at the campus is not a secret, but AppleInsider believes Apple is linked to another company quietly operating at the site, likely as a front for Apple's more secretive efforts. That company, SixtyEight Research, claims to be a market research firm, but there is little public evidence of any actual operations in that field. Instead, the building where SixtyEight Research is listed as a tenant has seen city permits issued for construction of an "auto work area" and a "repair garage".

[​IMG]
    Photo of SixtyEight Research's offices (Source: AppleInsider)
    A visit to SixtyEight's offices by AppleInsider was met with frosted opaque glass and security cameras, with a note pointing those looking for the company offices to a three-story building in the complex leased to Apple.

Much of the evidence is circumstantial, but there definitely appear to be some curious circumstances at Apple's Sunnyvale campus. Apple's car project is reportedly still in the early stages, but the company is said to have committed to building a team of up to 1000 employees with a goal of launching a car around 2020 if the project proves promising.

Article Link: Apple's 'Project Titan' Car Research May Be Headquartered at Leased Sunnyvale Campus

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not so much a secret anymore. Apple needs to up their front business game. If they were drug dealers they would have been busted long ago.

3. SpiderDude, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015

SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

My hair almost turned orange

From doing this face so much:

[​IMG]

edit note:
    how do I make pictures smaller?
    I feel I'm occupying way too much space.

4. xARx2 macrumors member

xARx2

Wow. I wonder how leaks will be controlled for a car.

5. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

Strange comment considering that Apple is leasing most of the available office space in Cupertino and Sunnyvale in general. Has nothing to do with being secret, there are just too many employees.

6. macduke, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

macduke macrumors G4

macduke

AppleInsider—now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I'm surprised they're still a website. I stopped reading there a long time ago after all of their articles turned into copypasta and their redesign combined with more ads than ever became too much to handle.

Edit: Just checked it out, 17 ads on the homepage alone. Or at least many of them were masquerading as ads with lists of products. Most of the ads were pretty huge too. Yuck. That site is a mess.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They can't even control leaks in the infancy stage of the project and the car doesn't even exist yet! So most likely it will be very difficult. How do you test it in real world conditions?

8. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

Remember in 2008 and 2009 they kept posting all these articles about how Apple was discontinuing the Mac mini because an update hadn't been released yet?

They've lost a lot of credibility.

9. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

So wait, Jony Ive used to wear an Omega before the Apple Watch and in 2020 he will have to ditch his Aston Martin in favour of the Apple Car? First World Problems.

10. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Well... they won't be leaving it in a bar! :D

11. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

Depends on how much they've had to drink!!!!

12. SpiderDude, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Different Body?

I'd say get a bodywork from another car company that fits other the skeleton and roll with it.
    Just the usual tape over the headlights and freaky patterns wouldn't do much good in this case.
    And give a really greasy look to the apple engineer driving it so that anyone who notices it just thinks that it is a botched tuning attempt. ahah

13. Bokito macrumors regular

If it's right, SixtyEigth Research should refer to something. I was thinking Ive's birth year, but according to Wikipedia he is born in 67.

Focus your 'research' there guys. :)

An other guess 1768: First Voyage of Discovery of James Cook.

14. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I bet he still has an Omega and a number of watches that make a $17K edition look like a cheap toy ;)

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Yeah, the credibility loss was only the start. I remember their mobile redesign was just awful.

I remember there was this guy there that would post really insightful articles looking at the history behind what was happening at the time. I'm pretty sure he started posting less or stopped posting at some point and I no longer had any reason to visit their site, despite all of the other crap.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This sentence says that the project keeps secrets, not that the project is itself a secret (which, presumably, was the intended meaning). No points for the extra syllables.

17. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

It's the year he learnt to say the word "car".

18. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Can anyone put me in touch with someone from the sales team at SixtyEight Research?

I've been trying to contact them, as I am in need of market research services in the Cupertino/Sunnyvale area.

Thanks!

19. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

SixtyEight?

Someones going to get Eighty-sixed for snooping around too much if they're not careful.

20. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I figured it was related to the Motorola 68000 series of CPUs--the original platform for the Mac. They were commonly called the M68K.

21. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Project Titan??

My inner nerd saw the codename, and only one thing came to mind when referring to titan:

[​IMG]

22. Felix01 macrumors regular

From their website:

SixtyEight Inquiry

info@sixtyeightresearch.com

:p

23. ashdelacroix macrumors member

Sure. Here you go: tcook@apple.com

24. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Macrumors runs stories from them all the time.

25. 2457282 Suspended

I will hazzard a guess that if you put the project name and the company name together you get something. Titan 68.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-68_Titan

look like they are thinking beyond cars :eek: