Apple's Q3 2005 Financial Result Webcast

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be broadcasting their Q3 2005 Financial Results on Wednesday, July 13 2005 at 2pm PT.

Financial results and recent sales performance will be disclosed. During the previous conference call for Q2 2005, Apple revealed that they would stop reporting CPU sales by product family for strategic reasons.

No doubt, Apple's move to Intel will be a topic of discussion during the Question and Answer session.

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
How about the Minis?

I've heard different versions about the Mini sales throughout the web, and I wonder wich is true:
1) Minis were selling very well, even better than estimated by Apple;
2) Minis were selling well, but it didn't reach Apples objectives;
3) The Mac Mini was a mistake, and Apple are very unhappy with them.

Personally, I don't believe in the third, and I take me as example. I always wanted a Mac, but I never had the money to buy it (they are very expensive here in Brazil). With the Mini, I bought my first mac and finally entered in the Apple world, wich I don't wannna leave anymore!

Anny ideas?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Guess that makes sense that they will be hiding there stock info, could definitely be used against them by another PC maker.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Fabio_gsilva said:
I've heard different versions about the Mini sales throughout the web, and I wonder wich is true:
1) Minis were selling very well, even better than estimated by Apple;
2) Minis were selling well, but it didn't reach Apples objectives;
3) The Mac Mini was a mistake, and Apple are very unhappy with them.

Personally, I don't believe in the third, and I take me as example. I always wanted a Mac, but I never had the money to buy it (they are very expensive here in Brazil). With the Mini, I bought my first mac and finally entered in the Apple world, wich I don't wannna leave anymore!

Anny ideas?
It doesn't really matter how well it is selling. Apple will discontinue it if it is making a loss and until they do assume it is selling well. :)

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
liketom said:
untill they say they are not shipping any new macs until september
And the likelihood of that is 0. Computer industries function off upgrades and Apple are not about to kill their sales before the major upgrade (Intel chip move).

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
i'm looking fwd to seeing how sales go in the next couple quarters. maybe we'll see a new ipod or something during that time. something bright & shiny to take our focus off the outdated processors... :^\

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I am interested in seeing how the announcement of the switch has affected Apple's sales. However, the sales difference will be marginal with that of last quarter's sales because the announcement came a month ago. This next quarter should provide us with some better insight as to how the announcement affected sales.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'll be curious to hear how iPod sales have gone versus previous quarters. Will indications point to a slow down at all? It will have to happen eventually.

Interesting strategic move to stop reporting CPU sales by product family...

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
jdechko said:
I am interested in seeing how the announcement of the switch has affected Apple's sales. However, the sales difference will be marginal with that of last quarter's sales because the announcement came a month ago. This next quarter should provide us with some better insight as to how the announcement affected sales.
Does anyone (else) think that Apple's announcement to not break their numbers down might be related to the switch to Intel? Although it's not likely reflected in this quarter's number, they would have known that their sales would likely go down until the Intel transition gets underway. If they had already decided or were very seriously considering the Intel move when they made the announcement not to break down sales figures by product family, then it would make sense for them to not be as specific about what units are selling in case certain products are hit harder than others.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It's interesting that Apple will no longer report on sales of the individual CPU family. Probably partly proprietary reasons so that the competition can't use the information. All that the stockholders really care about is the bottom line.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
autrefois said:
Does anyone (else) think that Apple's announcement to not break their numbers down might be related to the switch to Intel? Although it's not likely reflected in this quarter's number, they would have known that their sales would likely go down until the Intel transition gets underway. If they had already decided or were very seriously considering the Intel move when they made the announcement not to break down sales figures by product family, then it would make sense for them to not be as specific about what units are selling in case certain products are hit harder than others.
I think thats part of the reason. It may piss invenstors off, but there isn't anything that says that Apple has to break down its sales of each individual computer model. Does Dell break down its sales of all the different models, probably not! PowerMac sales are so embarrassing for Apple right now, I can see why they don't want to tell the numbers anymore.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Will be interesting to see how numbers fared after the Intel announcment and after hearing all of this news about overstocking...

autrefois said:
yeah, sounds about right to me. More than that, if it sinks a bit, nobody can analyze it (and therefore talk and publicize it) that much. I'd bet on something like a huge drop in laptop sales, b/c of the chips coming up for those, but anything with a G5 holding steady, because those aren't changing for a good while, and lots of mac users will want to pick one up before the intel switch b/c they think ppc is better.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Bring on those "disguised" results and the column inches of hyperbole :D

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Switzermac said:
interesting should put my stock up
Historically, Apple stock rises leading up to the conference call. Then it drops sharply the day afterwards. 2-3 days later, it rises back to where it belongs.

The same thing usually happens WRT all major Apple announcements (including product releases).

Of course, this historic trend doesn't necessarily mean it will happen this time. Just don't be surprised if it goes down after a report of good news. The stock market is weird and doesn't always reflect reality.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
840quadra said:
heh.. I just buy their computers, not their stock..

I should start in the stock market soon, but I doubt I will start with apple at this point.
Definitely don't start with Apple.

For long-term investments, you either want to put your money in mutual funds (so a professional manager can look after the day-to-day trading) or in stocks that tend to do well over the long-haul (so you can buy them and hold them for a long time.)

Apple stock seems more oriented towards speculation. Not counting the big price increase of 2004, Apple's stock typicall oscillates around a (more or less) fixed position. Right now, it seems to be swinging back and forth between about 35 and 40 dollars. If you want to make money off of this, you either must hold the shares until something big pushes it up to a new plateau (and hope nothing causes it to drop to a lower plateau), or you must be willing to make frequent trades. And frequent trading is a recipe for disaster unless you make a full-time career out of it and get really lucky.