Apple's Quality Control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Nov 3, 2013.

?

Apple's QC

1. Get the Macbook Pro, chances are you'll be fine.

44 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Get the MacBook Air, it'll suit your needs.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Other (Comment below)

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

What are my chances of getting a faulty machine? With the 15 inch, 2.3Ghz with the dGPU (750M). I really want to get one, but I don't want to walk in with a smile one day, go home and get all upset because it's faulty.

Or should I just get a MacBook Air? Tried and tested, it seems to be good.

I'll be doing:

• Powerpoint, note taking, homework, etc
    • 3D work, (Lightwave, 3Ds Max, Maya) (I can give this up for a working machine, but I don't feel I should give something up just for a functioning machine.)
    • Adobe Suite (Photo/Video/Web) (I can give this up too...)
    • Gaming (On Windows) (I'll let this go too)
    • Running Windows. (I cannot let this go, I need Windows).

2. Shubbeh macrumors member

Are you concerned that 3D or Adobe or gaming applications or even using Boot Camp/Windows would cause the computer to become faulty? Because that's not going to happen :p
    The biggest issues reported by rMBP owners are various complaints with the screen, and the newer ones with OS X Mavericks have been having freezing issues that Apple has acknowledged and is working to fix.

3. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I know software wise, nothing will affect the computer, but I need to do those things and I want a computer with no faults. That list was purely for the MacBook Air option.

4. Shubbeh macrumors member

Ah, OK. Well, I can't speak to the MBA's performance for 3D work, but I know it'll handle gaming nicely if you don't have unreasonable expectations, and of course Windows will also run great (at the cost of some battery life). It'll also handle Adobe apps fine, though you may want an 8 GB RAM upgrade depending on what you're doing and how many apps you'll be running concurrently.
    If you want better gaming performance, then obviously you'll want the high-end 15" rMBP with the GT 750M but it's about double the price. I would point you to the many large topics here and elsewhere regarding the issues you may encounter with any rMBP you buy -- unfortunately they're not helping me make a decision :p

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

not very good ... faulty machines are not common :apple:

6. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's good to hear. And I would love to get an Air, but I doubt it'll be able to handle what I need to get done. I don't want to give up something for something else that should be expected.

7. Breedlove macrumors regular

I must have been very unlucky because my rMBP has shown most of the issues pointed out on this forum (creaking, IR, uneven display).

Well, on the bright side, I was not unlucky and got a "common" machine without trackpad issues! :D

Bringing my 2.3 with dGPU in to the Apple Store today and hoping to get the issue resolved. Also regretting placing the order through Amazon because after talking to the manager of the local Apple Store, they can't flat out replace the machine for me and any sort of repair will take 24-48 hours (of which time, I cannot be without a computer)

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes you were unlucky ... most of the millions of people who bought a perfectly fine Apple product ... do not post here on MR :apple:

9. Breedlove macrumors regular

Nothing against you or your statement, which could very well be true but there is a logical fallacy here:

It may or may not be that they don't post here because they don't have the issue.

To give you a few possible scenarios for people who have received faulty units and don't post here (of many more possibilities):

1) They don't care enough and are willing to accept the faulty hardware.
    2) They lurking on the forums and don't bother to post.
    3) They aren't aware that there are any issues with their machines. Here, ignorance is bliss. I am almost certain that if you tell every single owner of a new 15" rMBP to look for the issues highlighted on this forum, a hell of a lot more people will be dissatisfied with their purchases.
    4) They don't know of this forum and instead of spending hours, like us, trying to figure out how to resolve these issues, went directly to Apple to find a resolution.

But in the end, I paid $2600 for a new machine and over the years (this is my fourth Mac since the early 2000s and 10th or so Apple product) have come to appreciate the quality that is associated with the brand.

I won't say anything as to how their standards have fallen since becoming more and more popular. This, again, may or may not be true but is something that the most fanatic Apple fan-boys have suggested time and time again. In fact, I'm inclined to assume this is untrue, but I will not accept that I received a faulty product; hopefully Apple and Amazon will be accommodating enough to resolve my issues.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think you will be fine with Dell XPS ultraportable laptop. :apple:

11. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

The Dell screams cheap to me. Even though its only $200 less.

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Not many people start a thread to say that their rMBP is awesome. Some do, but not even close to the number that have a defect.

To the OP: just get what you want and if you have a problem just go to the Apple store a get it replaced.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if Apple products having problems were common ... and not the opposite.

There would be literally 1000s of people on here complaining ... the bottom line is ... as I said, getting a faulty machine is unlikely :apple:

14. Breedlove macrumors regular

Still so much wrong with this assumption and no factual evidence proving that it is true.

To the OP, I would echo what Simon48 says. Buy what you want and get any issues that arise dealt with by Apple.

Just don't buy a machine expecting that it won't have any problems.

Make an informed decision so that you are more able to deal with the issues should they arise (whether or not the chance is as low as AppleOC is claiming).

15. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I mean it's not a big deal if you have to bring it back. You just go in and say I have a problem and they'll just switch it.

16. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I can't believe the number of apple products that are coming right out of the box with defects, from iPhones, iPads and MacBooks, what has happened to apples quality control? What happened to the flawless and perfectionism that apple was once known for? I'll tell you one thing if Steve Jobs was alive today these things would not be happening, Steve was a perfectionist and expected nothing but the best when it came to apple products, he was demanding, tough and at at times a real jerk to work for, if something was not up to his standards he would make them start over again till they got it right, I know that we can't compare Steve and Tim but Tim Cook really needs to step up his game and reinforce the high standards of quality and perfection that Steve had once built for apple.

17. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Its just common sense. If it costs more, more effort went into making it. Not sure if that's true anymore.

18. aiyaaabatt, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Really, do you have exact numbers?

Reading this forum produces fear mongering. Keep in mind there are thousands of these new haswell rMBP's being sold and only a minuscule number of reports make up the "data" we have through macrumor and apple forums. If you look at the "data" found through these forums, it will seem like over 50% of rMBP's have defects out of the box, but I would be willing to bet that % is actually quite smaller (single digits).

Not to mention people on these forums tend to have severe OCD and scream for an exchange if they see a "blemish" through their magnifying glasses or sound amplifying ear-extensions. Albeit, I am one of these people... it is $2600 after all. :)

19. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Can't say I have exact numbers I'm going by my own experience and also from posts that I've read here and on the apple support boards, I've had issues with many apple products that I've bought and have had to go back many times to get replacements however I do fall in the severe OCD category lol, and also when you go online and read some of these forums it makes it look like there is a large number of defects, maybe I read to much lol, I still do feel is Steve was here today there would be less issues that's just my opinion.

20. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose you have a point. You wouldn't be here unless you need help.

21. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The trackpad issues seem to almost exclusively be affecting the 13" models. I don't think I've heard of any new 15" models affected. The creaking doesn't seem to be too common, but I haven't been keeping up on that since I have a 13".

I think the screen issues are mostly paranoia from all the posts about last year's models. I haven't seen too many posts around here about new late-2013 models.

And if you're that worried about it, get AppleCare. That way if anything happens in the next 3 years you're covered. My mid-2009 was fine until the last year of AppleCare, so it's definitely worth it in some cases.

The MBA is fine if you're a light user or need super portability. But your uses definitely seem to fit a rMBP, specifically a 15".

22. double329 macrumors 6502

Any product that rolled out any manufacture plant will have percentage of defect and some defect will make pass QA. As long as that percentage is really small, that is acceptable. The sad part is, it is an unfortunate for that customer, I included. I picked up my new rMBP 15, got home and opened the box. What do you know? there was a small dent on the back plate. Everything is fine, but I did go back and get the replacement without any issue.

23. Baadshah macrumors 6502

I have been a big Apple follower and have iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac. I recently upgraded my 2008 MacBook to rMBP 15". The machine had creaking issues, now I am on my 3rd replacement and 4th is on its way and all of them had creaking issues. This will be my last replacement, if its faulty, I want my money back.

I really don't trust apple in quality anymore. :mad::apple:
    And it's the latest haswell one.

24. kh3khalid macrumors regular

I bought an iPod Nano, a MBP, and 3 iPads from Apple, none of them had problems.

I 'suspected' that my iPod Nano had a problem with its battery, so I figured that why not call them and just ask if there is a problem or not? I called and they sent me a new one.

IF you happen to have any problem with your machine, They'll give you a new one or repair it. I mean, thats what warranties are for, right? If the production was perfect we wouldn't need them.

25. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Your choices seem a bit weird to me. Getting a less suitable machine because the better model might have some defects is not what I would do. My two options:

1. Get the MBP (in store if possible), then
    - use of the 14 days return window to make sure you got a nice screen, etc
    - buy Applecare

2. Look at offers from other vendors, e.g. Lenovo, if you don't trust Apples quality anymore. OSX doesn't seem to be such a strong requirement in your case.