Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
So the nut job CEO of Epic now thinks Apple should be forced to develop certain software for a competing platform due to lock-in? Find any company who develops products and solutions to give to their competitors while risking loss of customers. That’s a great business plan if you are trying to go out of business.

Reactions: mrpresto

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
More like a government mandated protocol. Like SMS is already. The new protocol proposed was to update SMS so it can go over any internet connection instead of just your carrier. This would be a wee bit like how most carriers support wifi calling and would be a great help for people that need to get text messages but have to travel outside their village to get a signal when they already have a 1 Gbps internet connection at home.
Why would they need a second messaging app when one everyone can use is built into the phone already. Would one mandate be enough or it will take 2 or 3 mandated messaging apps.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Unfortunately iMessage sucks. Reason: you can’t put in another SIM card (important if you’re abroad and need internet) and just use it with your normal phone number. iMessage always wants to change your number.
Sucking does not apply when something you need affects you and virtually no one else. You’d have search high and low to find any volume of sim swappers. International travelers who swap sims is a minuscule group of people. You are looking 10+ zeros to the left of the decimal.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Why would they need a second messaging app when one everyone can use is built into the phone already. Would one mandate be enough or it will take 2 or 3 mandated messaging apps.

Email is a universal standard. Every phone comes with a preinstalled client and yet the App Store and Play Store are full of alternative clients.

Anyway, on some level that is what RCS is supposed to be, particularly because SMS is supposed to be turned off at some point.

Carriers have been dragging their heels and Apple will probably not support it until they absolutely have to. Until then it will be up to Google to push it forward and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

dewilded

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
maybe I don’t get it, but i don’t see how iMessage locks me into iOS. I have no problem texting people who use Android from iMessage. What’s the big deal?

Reactions: sbailey4

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
More like a government mandated protocol. Like SMS is already. The new protocol proposed was to update SMS so it can go over any internet connection instead of just your carrier. This would be a wee bit like how most carriers support wifi calling and would be a great help for people that need to get text messages but have to travel outside their village to get a signal when they already have a 1 Gbps internet connection at home.
In the US, I wouldn't call SMS government-mandated. The ATIS (the US part of 3GPP) is a private organization. Though the cell carriers have a relationship with the government, being FCC-regulated and maybe subsidized.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
maybe I don’t get it, but i don’t see how iMessage locks me into iOS. I have no problem texting people who use Android from iMessage. What’s the big deal?
It really only matters in two cases:
1. Group chats, where SMS is a disaster.
2. Using it from a computer, which you can do with SMS if you have an iPhone but otherwise not very easily.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Would love if iMessage went multiplatform because it's probably the one messaging app I think could get most people to start using it and get rid of all these other apps. Though I can't remember how many people can be in a group chat which important for some people, especially some gamers.
Looking at my friends with Android phones, I can't see them wanting to use Apple anything, iMessage included.
I'm even an Apple user but don't like iMessage very much. It's flaky. Open iMessage on my Mac, and the messages take like a minute to sync and sometimes come in out of order. It's instant and 100% reliable on FB Messenger! How hard can it be?

Reactions: trifid

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Let me guess, you're from the US?

I'm from Europe (Germany) and WhatsApp is the standard here. Some people jumped to Telegram/Signal due to privacy concerns and a growing dislike of Facebook but nobody I know uses iMessage precisely due to it being limited to iOS devices.

Android devices are popular here so you won't even reach half your friends with iMessages and nobody wants to use seperate messaging apps for different friends.

You don’t. But you do if you want it to be a group chat.
I have several friends using Android and we have group chats all the time between iPhones and their Android devices. Not exactly sure where this is coming from. It works just fine and none of them complain or even know what iMessage is.

Reactions: rjohnstone

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
Looking at my friends with Android phones, I can't see them wanting to use Apple anything, iMessage included.
I'm even an Apple user but don't like iMessage very much. It's flaky. Open iMessage on my Mac, and the messages take like a minute to sync and sometimes come in out of order. It's instant and 100% reliable on FB Messenger! How hard can it be?
I think that’s because Apple doesn’t store your messages on their servers, except for undelivered messages. It has to sync between your devices to get the messages. There will be lag between sync events.

If I’m not wrong, FB Messenger stores your messages in their servers and you basically download your messages once you log on, very much like loading a web page. This model will appear to be instant.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
lol. It’s not arbitrary at all. Your comparison is not helpful in the discussion. For a start we know that due to politics and the size of the Chinese population, any one Chinese app could easily have the most users and not really be meaningful in this conversation.
Secondly we know that iMessage, messenger and WhatsApp offer a fraction of what wechat does as wechat has morphed into a whole patform of services for Chinese citizens.

So yes you could be “right” (still not sure you are here), but can you be “meaningful”? Those are two very different things. One is pedantic the other is worthwhile.
Yes it is arbitrary and what’s not helpful is your attempt to ignore things which show your arguments are inaccurate and flawed. So what if WeChat offers additional features? So do other chat apps. Line can be used for sending digital gift cards and for payments. Viber supports payments too, as well as having a news feed. Excluding Apps simply because they offer more than chat is pointless and illogical. Try again.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Of all the things, iMessage would be one of the last reason for me, to stay in the Apple Ecosystem. Everyone and their dogs are using WhatsApp here in Asia and the same applies to Germany, where I am from.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
I think that’s because Apple doesn’t store your messages on their servers, except for undelivered messages. It has to sync between your devices to get the messages. There will be lag between sync events.

If I’m not wrong, FB Messenger stores your messages in their servers and you basically download your messages once you log on, very much like loading a web page. This model will appear to be instant.
I think I'm able to sync the messages even if my other device is offline, so it's not that. But I can test. Either way, Apple could store them on their servers. Doesn't violate E2EE.

I'm aware that FB Messenger is a much simpler setup in that FB's servers control everything, and the clients aren't doing much. But Signal got E2EE messaging working fine. And also, I don't care, I just want my messages to work.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
If Apple really cared about privacy it would had given us iMessage for Android.
Then we wouldn't need to install Whatsapp or other junk to talk to others with Android phones.
Everyone would just use iMessage on iPhone and Android and would instantly kill all other messaging services.
Plus Android does support SMS+Messaging app integration (look at Signal) so the experience would had been similar.
They could offer an ad-based version (ads only by Apple) or a bit cut down version as an alternative.
I'm confused, I talk to Android phones without other apps just fine...

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
I think I'm able to sync the messages even if my other device is offline, so it's not that. But I can test. Either way, Apple could store them on their servers. Doesn't violate E2EE.

I'm aware that FB Messenger is a much simpler setup in that FB's servers control everything, and the clients aren't doing much. But Signal got E2EE messaging working fine. And also, I don't care, I just want my messages to work.
Well, I suppose it is Apple's architecture decision to engineer iMessage that way. I think it could also be complicated by the fact that iMessage also handles SMS messages, and SMS are not sent to Apple's servers.

I just like the fact that I can access my SMS and iMessage chats from my iPhones, iPads and Macs seamlessly and securely. The lag in the sync does not bother me. I don't think storing messages in Apple's server violates their E2EE. They likely have all their devices public keys stored in their server to be sent to edge devices when an iMessage for the edge device is sent to their server. They probably just don't see the need to store their user's chat in their servers perpetually.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Well, I suppose it is Apple's architecture decision to engineer iMessage that way. I think it could also be complicated by the fact that iMessage also handles SMS messages, and SMS are not sent to Apple's servers.

I just like the fact that I can access my SMS and iMessage chats from my iPhones, iPads and Macs seamlessly and securely. The lag in the sync does not bother me. I don't think storing messages in Apple's server violates their E2EE. They likely have all their devices public keys stored in their server to be sent to edge devices when an iMessage for the edge device is sent to their server. They probably just don't see the need to store their user's chat in their servers perpetually.
Isn't SMS totally separate from iMessage? I don't see how it'd affect them. There is SMS forwarding for Mac/iPad, which I love cause I don't want to type on a little phone, but I think that's separate too.

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
Isn't SMS totally separate from iMessage? I don't see how it'd affect them. There is SMS forwarding for Mac/iPad, which I love cause I don't want to type on a little phone, but I think that's separate too.
Apologies. I was referring to the Messages app instead of the iMessage technology, if that make any sense. But yeah, I meant to say that the Messages apps handles both SMS and iMessage for iPhone, iPad and Macs, and from my experience, it only works together when all my devices are only the same WiFi network.

Reactions: hot-gril

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
Just goer rid of your friends; that way you don’t have to download the right app to message anyone. Problem solved.

kinan.a

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
I don't understand why it's a big deal. I've been using iPhones since 2016 yet I never used iMessage. WhatsApp is way more better.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I love iMessage, especially with friends that use Read receipts. Incredibly useful feature, even though so simple, in day-to-day life. I don’t need a response that our reservation has changed, I just need to know that you got it. Also love that it works in free messaging programs, like flying on Delta. You can message all you want, with no cost, to people on iMessage, without paying for data. Can’t do it with Whatsapp, snap, etc.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
News flash. Big company doesn’t give its major competitive advantage to its competitor. Shocking.

We are talking iMessage here. Hardly a 'major competitive advantage'.
As already mentioned in this thread: iMessage is popular mainly in the US and mostly irrelevant in the rest of the world.

jonppa

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
We are talking iMessage here. Hardly a 'major competitive advantage'.
As already mentioned in this thread: iMessage is popular mainly in the US and mostly irrelevant in the rest of the world.

How come? Isn't iMessage on by default? Atleast here in Finland it is. Most of users don't even understand that they are using "iMessage". It's still text message for most of users. You don't "use" iMessage, it is just an alternative and automatic message protocol to SMS?

Reactions: philrock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.